The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

25 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Trigger-Warning

Washington Trades 3rd Round (pick 100) and 2025 (conditional) 3rd to Chicago for Justin Fields.

Washington Trades #2 Overall to Minnesota for #11, #42, 2025 1st and 2026 1st round picks. 

11. Olu Fashanu, LT

36. Keon Coleman, WR

40. Tyler Nubin, S

42. Graham Barton, RT

67. Ben Sinnott, TE

102. Ty'Ron Hopper, LB

139. Zak Zinter, OG

179. Zion Tupuola-Fetui, DE

222. Dillon Johnson, RB 

Okay, I'll operate under the assumption these trades happen.

I'd rather roll with Howell than Fields, so I'd be upset with the Fields trade. I feel like we gave up more than they seem to be line for at this point too, but at least it was the later 3rd. If you flipped Howell for a 3rd back it would be easier to swallow. 

The other trade is good return. If we did it, I would be happy with that. 

Olu would be great. I still don't think he makes it to 11, but it isn't unreasonable. Not sure what was still on the board at 40, but Nubin wouldn't be high on my list there. Barton is great, Coleman would be fun. That's super early for Sinnott for me, but maybe we do need to reach on a need. Still, I'd rather sit or see who is at 102. Zinter at 139 would be a coup. Maybe he lasts that long. 

If we did this trade, I'd try for a QB somewhere to develop. 

28 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Okay, I'll operate under the assumption these trades happen.

I'd rather roll with Howell than Fields, so I'd be upset with the Fields trade. I feel like we gave up more than they seem to be line for at this point too, but at least it was the later 3rd. If you flipped Howell for a 3rd back it would be easier to swallow. 

39 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If we did this trade, I'd try for a QB somewhere to develop

IMO, in this scenario the conditional 3rd in 2025 would be contingent on him both a) being on the roster and b) resigning a LTD. We also would decline his 5th-year option immediately. 

I also would rather Howell over Fields, I just feel that the team/F.O. feels a need to add/improve the position. Having Fields, Mariota and Howell on roster should satisfy that feeling. 

Also, I would still consider Howell the "developmental" QB, but understand if the team wanted to trade him and draft someone else. If Howell is on roster still, I can't see them adding anyone else. 4 QBs on the roster is overkill to me.

41 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

The other trade is good return. If we did it, I would be happy with that. 

Olu would be great. I still don't think he makes it to 11, but it isn't unreasonable. Not sure what was still on the board at 40, but Nubin wouldn't be high on my list there. Barton is great, Coleman would be fun. That's super early for Sinnott for me, but maybe we do need to reach on a need. Still, I'd rather sit or see who is at 102. Zinter at 139 would be a coup. Maybe he lasts that long. 

I also would be happy with the return. Although next years QB class pales in comparison to how everyone perceives this one, getting not only one but two additional 1sts should satisfy in any event that Howell/Fields never reach potential. 

I actually think Taliese Fuaga goes before Olu somehow. Not sure why he has moved up so many boards, but I would be elated for Olu to be there at 11. If he wasn't there, my whole draft would change. 

Nubin is the best Safety in the draft, IMO. He may sneak into the end of the 1st round. I don't agree that it is too high for him. 

I think Sinnott is rising the ranks. I still believe JaTavion Sanders will be the second TE drafted and that it will either happen at the end of the 2nd or early 3rd. Getting Sinnott is a good consolation prize, IMO.

I haven't seen a single mock or draft board that has Zinter in the 4th. He most likely will need a redshirt year and had he been healthy would have been one of the first OGs off the board, IMO.

Side note: I appreciate you not flying off the handle at the proposition of not drafting our "savior QB" at 2. 

14 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I appreciate you not flying off the handle at the proposition of not drafting our "savior QB" at 2. 

Well... based on how this FA has started, I am moving my "We're drafting a Qb at 2" percentage from 98% to like 90%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Trigger-Warning

Washington Trades 3rd Round (pick 100) and 2025 (conditional) 3rd to Chicago for Justin Fields.

Washington Trades #2 Overall to Minnesota for #11, #42, 2025 1st and 2026 1st round picks. 

11. Olu Fashanu, LT

36. Keon Coleman, WR

40. Tyler Nubin, S

42. Graham Barton, RT

67. Ben Sinnott, TE

102. Ty'Ron Hopper, LB

139. Zak Zinter, OG

179. Zion Tupuola-Fetui, DE

222. Dillon Johnson, RB 

Lots of debate circles around the whole Fields discussion.  People are always debating the finer points of him as a player and if he can improve.  Here is the question I always see missing, he is on the 4th year of his rookie deal.  If you trade for him what is your long term plan?  Are you ready to pay up?

13 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Well... based on how this FA has started, I am moving my "We're drafting a Qb at 2" percentage from 98% to like 90%.

Really?  I think I'd be at 99.9% now. 

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Really?  I think I'd be at 99.9% now. 

They're loading up with more talent than I expected. I'd pause to consider the "run it back" theory a little more. Highly unlikely, but looking at it from 30,000 feet I hesitated on it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

They're loading up with more talent than I expected. I'd pause to consider the "run it back" theory a little more. Highly unlikely, but looking at it from 30,000 feet I hesitated on it. 

The only change of mind I've had from FA is now I think they're taking Jayden Daniels over Drake Maye. 

8 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Lots of debate circles around the whole Fields discussion.  People are always debating the finer points of him as a player and if he can improve.  Here is the question I always see missing, he is on the 4th year of his rookie deal.  If you trade for him what is your long term plan?  Are you ready to pay up?

If it was me, I would immediately decline his 5th year option. No way I'm paying him $25M+ at this point.

The hope would be that if he starts, he plays well enough for the team to feel he is the QBotF. Then you either tag and trade or work out a LTD.

However, if he does not distance himself from either Mariota or Howell, you get a backup QB with starting experience for 6M and 2 thirds. That is still better than the Wentz trade, IMO. 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

The only change of mind I've had from FA is now I think they're taking Jayden Daniels over Drake Maye. 

I hope not, but I'm still QB or bust. 

Just now, MikeT14 said:

I hope not, but I'm still QB or bust. 

For Lavar's sake, I hope we go this route. 

If they swing and miss, oh well. As many have said, it's either take the QB at 2 or trade out. Worst case for me would be to take any player other than a QB at 2

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

For Lavar's sake, I hope we go this route. 

If they swing and miss, oh well. As many have said, it's either take the QB at 2 or trade out. Worst case for me would be to take any player other than a QB at 2

We got burned by that recently, so it hits home. 

20 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You're going to have to be more specific on our recent #2 overall bust. 

lol I was referring to his last sentence for the non- QB but your point stands. 

38 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

If it was me, I would immediately decline his 5th year option. No way I'm paying him $25M+ at this point.

The hope would be that if he starts, he plays well enough for the team to feel he is the QBotF. Then you either tag and trade or work out a LTD.

However, if he does not distance himself from either Mariota or Howell, you get a backup QB with starting experience for 6M and 2 thirds. That is still better than the Wentz trade, IMO. 

So basically trade for a qb on a 1 year deal who we know will cost a fortune if he performs?  

You are going to pass on picking an affordable qb of the future in the draft who we can build around and instead trade draft capital for a qb you hope is the guy, but who you won't have under contract at end of the year.  You are going to take that risk in an atmosphere where qbs cost a minimum of 40M/year (see daniel jones).  

So then I guess that makes the rest of free agency easy because we better not spend any more of that salary cap space and save it for resigning Fields.

My latest mock based on the FA signings

1) Caleb Williams QB USC-I’m still a firm believer that Chicago doesn’t take him. Until fields is traded that’s my opinion.

2) Kamari Lassiter CB GA- most needed position on defense and he’s got some talent

2)Kingsley Suamatia OT BYU- I fully expect us to sign a vet LT. He can push to take over RT from Wylie this year

3) Xavier Leggete WR South Carolina- I think this dude is gonna be a dawg in the NFL

3) Zack Zinter OG Michigan- if you’ve noticed with the FA signings we’ve had all these guys are leaders. This guy could potentially replace Cosmi if he walks or could be our LG of the future.

4)Cedric Gray LB North Carolina- I know wher added a few LBs but to me this is a good spot for him. Learn from Bwagz

5)Theo Johnson TE Penn St.- I could go Johnson or Sinnot with this pick. Theo had a good combine

6)Luke Mccafery WR Rice- tbh I think name recognition is what helps him but I think he could be a special teams ace early on

7)MJ Devonshire CB Pitt- depth and develope

did not address edge as we can not fill every need and we also signed 3 edge defenders