The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

Just now, MKnight82 said:

On Mel Kiper's latest podcast he said he though Zinter would go late 2nd early 3rd. The Titans took a DT a few years ago in the first round that had a torn ACL and couldn't play for a year. It's not going to hurt his draft stock as much as people think. 

I love Kiper for what he's done overall for draft coverage. Dude is a true pioneer but I'm not sure he's that great at predicting where players will go? I mean, I'm not sure Zinters value was much more than a low 2nd to high 3rd prior to the injury? He's a damn good player but guards just don't go that high. Torrance was an absolute beast of a guard last year and dropped to the late 2nd. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

On Mel Kiper's latest podcast he said he though Zinter would go late 2nd early 3rd. The Titans took a DT a few years ago in the first round that had a torn ACL and couldn't play for a year. It's not going to hurt his draft stock as much as people think. 

I would be very surprised if he went that early knowing he wouldn't play this year.

I'm also assuming you are talikg about Caleb Farley the CB from VTech. Quite a difference in positional value IMO. Farley was also considered one of, if not the best CB in his draft class.

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I would be very surprised if he went that early knowing he wouldn't play this year.

I'm also assuming you are talikg about Caleb Farley the CB from VTech. Quite a difference in positional value IMO. Farley was also considered one of, if not the best CB in his draft class.

DT Jeffery Simmons

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I love Kiper for what he's done overall for draft coverage. Dude is a true pioneer but I'm not sure he's that great at predicting where players will go? I mean, I'm not sure Zinters value was much more than a low 2nd to high 3rd prior to the injury? He's a damn good player but guards just don't go that high. Torrance was an absolute beast of a guard last year and dropped to the late 2nd. 

I thought Zinter was widely regarded as the best Guard in this class and a potential first round pick? 

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I thought Zinter was widely regarded as the best Guard in this class and a potential first round pick? 

He had a tibia and fibula fracture late in the season that’s why he dropped but yes he was in the conversation as a top 40-50 pick. 

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

That injury really set him back but the dude is an absolute dawg

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

After his injury right? 

Has to be. I don’t think he was below the Beebe and Haynes of the world. 

22 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

After his injury right? 

I would assume so. He's pretty damn good. I don't think he falls to the 5th round. I think he probably sandwiches in somewhere between the middle of the 3rd and 4th round. 

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Unpopular Opinion:

Brock Purdy is not a franchise QB on any other team or for any other HC.

Purdy is basically a Cousins type qb.  I would love to have a qb who could take us to the playoffs every year.  He ain't mahomes, but he can take a good team to a superbowl.  Nothing wrong with that.  If our pick at #2 is good enough to make us competitive into January every year that is a win in my books.

Just now, offbyone said:

Purdy is basically a Cousins type qb.  I would love to have a qb who could take us to the playoffs every year.  He ain't mahomes, but he can take a good team to a superbowl.  Nothing wrong with that.  If our pick at #2 is good enough to make us competitive into January every year that is a win in my books.

I don't even think he is close to Cousins level. I think he is a Matt Hasselbeck type. He isn't ever going to be the best player on the offense. You don't want to have to depend on him to win the game for you and you better have talent around him because he isn't good enough to prop up others. 

7 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I don't even think he is close to Cousins level. I think he is a Matt Hasselbeck type. He isn't ever going to be the best player on the offense. You don't want to have to depend on him to win the game for you and you better have talent around him because he isn't good enough to prop up others. 

Sure I buy that, a step below cousins, but he could get better still.  He still took a good team to a superbowl.  I wouldn't complain about getting to the super bowl. 

Yes he needs lots of talent, but rarely does a team make it to the superbowl without a ton of talent, so no surprise he had lots of talent around him.

3 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Sure I buy that, a step below cousins, but he could get better still.  He still took a good team to a superbowl.  I wouldn't complain about getting to the super bowl. 

Yes he needs lots of talent, but rarely does a team make it to the superbowl without a ton of talent, so no surprise he had lots of talent around him.

That's like saying JJ McCarthy took the Wolverines to the college championship or that Trent Dilfer led the Baltimore Ravens to the SB. Sure you could technically say that, but we all know that's not why they got there.