The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

34 minutes ago, e16bball said:

You know you’re my guy for DB play — I don’t even scout them, I just Ctrl-F “ripsean21” and form my opinions based on what I read 😂

E you just made my day brother I appreciate that!!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Jordan Schultz 

Sources to @BleacherReport: Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy visited the #Giants last week, which included dinner with the front office and a tour of the facility. 

The #Commanders are flying out to Ann Arbor to have dinner Thursday night with McCarthy the night before his Pro Day, per multiple sources.

There should be a love button y’all already know I love this 🤣🤣🤣 I wonder if I get a invite to the date 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3

I get it. We should do our due diligence on every perceived Top QB. But if they walk away thinking he's the guy, I would be floored. I don't know how anyone can. 

• Like 2

Mark Bullock

More I watch Austin Ekeler, the more I like this signing for Washington. Think he still has plenty left to offer. 

Also can't help seeing Drake Maye in Justin Herbert in almost all aspects. Size/frame, athleticism, some amazing throws and some incredibly frustrating misses

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Mark Bullock

More I watch Austin Ekeler, the more I like this signing for Washington. Think he still has plenty left to offer. 

Also can't help seeing Drake Maye in Justin Herbert in almost all aspects. Size/frame, athleticism, some amazing throws and some incredibly frustrating misses

If you would've told me last season when Drake Maye was the toast of college football that we would have a shot at drafting him I would've called you crazy. This almost never happens for this franchise. The only thing better would've been somehow falling into Caleb Williams but the football gods can't give us too much happiness at once lol

14 hours ago, Morlee said:

I don’t expect the Commanders to trade. This is an exercise I wanted to try out and it’s been fun. 

There are very few players I would say cost more than the overall #2 pick but Jefferson is one of them. You just don’t trade a sure-fire HoF player (a player that has gotten to that point with Cousins of all people. I’m a Cousins “hater” and many Vikings fans are peeved by me) that is very young and presumably, and hopefully, has much more left in the tank. 

He demands more than a first round pick regardless of selection. 

Also, to the guy that said I was talking trash about Washington in the Minnesota forum, that’s not true at all. Pretty sure that right around, or even before I made my first post here. I read some rumors online regarding a potential trade with Washington, and wanted to see what some Washington fans thought. I also voiced my disagreement with the trade speculation on my own forum. 

Anyway, I’m from and spent 99% of my life in the Virginia/North Carolina region so I’m more familiar with Commanders and their fans than most. I’m in West Virginia now so not much has changed. 😂. But these discussions are always fun indeed. 

"Can anyone inform me? In what world do the sorry teams at the top of the draft, believe that they would get Jefferson and anything else, for their pick?

Had someone from Washington say they would do a trade for Jefferson and the #11 pick for their 2nd….  It’s not just them either. People have this odd view of what their pick is worth. 

I’m sorry, that doesn’t work nor does it make sense to me. In what universe do you trade a young hall of fame caliber football player, maybe the greatest WR in the game right now, Jefferson, AND picks for a first round pick that could ultimately be either mediocre or just bad?

I get trading a number of picks if it’s just picks for picks type deal. But Jefferson, hell no. That trade would take your measly second overall pick this year, your 1st round pick next year, and your second round picks in 2024 and 2025. That’s just the start of the discussion. Probably even add in McLaurin as part of the deal. 

Am I way off here?  All these trade ideas to get to 2 or 3 are heavily swaying me from wanting to trade at all if they think Jefferson should go too. "

Is this not your post?

37 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

"Can anyone inform me? In what world do the sorry teams at the top of the draft, believe that they would get Jefferson and anything else, for their pick?

Had someone from Washington say they would do a trade for Jefferson and the #11 pick for their 2nd….  It’s not just them either. People have this odd view of what their pick is worth. 

I’m sorry, that doesn’t work nor does it make sense to me. In what universe do you trade a young hall of fame caliber football player, maybe the greatest WR in the game right now, Jefferson, AND picks for a first round pick that could ultimately be either mediocre or just bad?

I get trading a number of picks if it’s just picks for picks type deal. But Jefferson, hell no. That trade would take your measly second overall pick this year, your 1st round pick next year, and your second round picks in 2024 and 2025. That’s just the start of the discussion. Probably even add in McLaurin as part of the deal. 

Am I way off here?  All these trade ideas to get to 2 or 3 are heavily swaying me from wanting to trade at all if they think Jefferson should go too. "

Is this not your post?

I think the Premise they are thinking  is the same reason you Draft Caleb over Fields even if you think Fields could be good better salary cap. I could see this line of thinking if it was for someone like AJ Brown/Pittman/Mclaurin/Metcalf but not for JJ or Chase. The argument would be MHJ = AJB in production and would cost you much less + younger.

5 minutes ago, rizzy said:

I think the Premise they are thinking  is the same reason you Draft Caleb over Fields even if you think Fields could be good better salary cap. I could see this line of thinking if it was for someone like AJ Brown/Pittman/Mclaurin/Metcalf but not for JJ or Chase. The argument would be MHJ = AJB in production and would cost you much less + younger.

That's not what @lavar703 is getting at. He is calling the person out for talking smack about our response in his sub-forum and trying to play it off like he didn't do it. Accountability isn't a lot of people's strong suit and I don't expect this situation to prove otherwise. 

6 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I get it. We should do our due diligence on every perceived Top QB. But if they walk away thinking he's the guy, I would be floored. I don't know how anyone can. 

JJ has a ton of upside and things unseen. If he goes to Minnesota he is going to be a stud.

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Is this not your post?

Yes it is. And as I just said, that was either right around the time I posted in here, or it was before. It was based off rumors I had seen floating on the Internet. Your point? Where was I talking trash? The entire point of the post is that Jefferson is worth a whole lot more than what people, in this case Commanders’ fans or writers, are saying. 

I made both posts pretty close to each other. 

MLFootball

REPORT: Caleb Williams is expected to be in Chicago soon and the #Bears plan to run multiple different psychiatric tests on him. 

(Via ESPN)

Don’t know if I ever heard tests like this performed on a player. Maybe it’s the painted finger nails. 😂

21 hours ago, Morlee said:

If we trade up to #5, you can only do so during the draft. Moving up too early could get us screwed and have NY jump ahead of us. 

Also, imo it’s Top 4. There’s Williams, and then the next 3. Interchangeable in a way depending on who your coach is. I’d be fine if we got either. Likely would have to trade to #3 or #4.  We have to. 

But number 2 would be better. Then you guys can get 11, 23, a 3rd rounder and next year’s 1st round pick and 3rd round pick. No price too high if the regime truly believes in one of the top QBs. You guys have alot of holes to fill. You can wait on a QB or draft Nix or someone at 23 and move forward with that. 

Yup. I agree that it has to be during the draft to prevent anyone from jumping ahead of you. 

I disagree on trading #2. If we had not just traded Howell away, I'd be beating the drum for that trade. But we're staring at Mariota as our QB. And this is year 1 for Peters and Quinn in Washington. They have to come out of the gate firing. They can't be "Wait until next year for our QB" when we have only Mariota in the cupboard.

2 hours ago, TOUCAN said:

Todays update:

I’m on Maye again after listening to Joel Klatts podcast.

I'm back and forth between him and Daniels and will continue to be long after we pick one of them. 

• Like 1