The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

7 hours ago, TOUCAN said:

I'm saying it.

Take Maye.

What I am seeing that is off is much more coachable, having the prototypical size and build, he's throwing on the run in this workout and Jayden didn't do that yesterday. In fact, lots of times Jayden got to sit there.

Take Maye.

I missed it. Anyone have a link to it?

6 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I missed it. Anyone have a link to it?

I was very impressed. I still prefer JJ I think his was actually the best Proday I’ve seen in 4 years along with everything else but Maye is my fallback at this point. Jayden is a hell of a talent I just have too many things I’ve seen other players flame out for parts too his game I don’t know how coachable they are to fix. Plus the blocking he had at LSU was top notch and it’s doubtful a team can sustain that type of OL in this league with the money he will get if he had that type of blocking for whoever drafts him.

15 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I worry that J J = Mac Jones .

For me the JJ comp is Daniel Jones. Not overly impressive or consistent in college but is a late riser in the draft process because of who he played for, the tools he has and the interviews.

JJ is athletic - like Jones - but hasn't displayed the consistency to me in college to warrant a top 10 pick. 

12 hours ago, e16bball said:

Agree with this, especially when it comes to us (as the top prize for these QBs in the non-Caleb division). 

Kingsbury was something like 90% of his snaps out of the shotgun with Kyler. And then you’ve got other teams who are seeking, like MIN and NYG, who have sat at something like 2/3 of their snaps in shotgun. Hard to say for sure what Van Pelt will do in NE, given that he was basically just a figurehead OC under Stefanski, but CLE was about 2/3 in the shotgun last year. DEN is probably the one team that’s an even split between the two.

Probably hard to justify spending too much time trying to focus on taking snaps under center when that’s never going to be a priority for the teams looking at drafting you. 

I wonder if we take Drake Maye that NE then takes JJ McCarthy because Van Pelt will run the Stefanski West Coast offense with a lot of plays under center.

Then, ATL, Minny or Denv trades up to leapfrog the Giants to take Jayden Daniels. 

10 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

Wish I could find the link but I saw where Brock Bowers may fall out of the top 15, assuming the price is right I know we need a tackle but……. Super tempting 

I definitely would if we could 

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Hey @Doc Draper! How have your travels been my friend?

Hey Brother, living the dream traveling PC (post covid), mostly splitting time in Vegas and the 305 with occasional trips to highly recommended “fun spot” Jaco Beach to meet new “friends” :)  Thanks for asking! 

• Like 4

Love watching the “pro days” especially the reactions of professional coaches and scouts oogling and the ooo’s and ahhhh’s - reminds me of some of my most favorite fun clubs- but seriously the part I’m interested in is “ (leadership and mental processing, how they respond to problems) all the stuff between their ears. Physical is important but there was a different reason Jeff George. Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, and Vince Young didn’t make it….” Between the ears”

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Love watching the “pro days” especially the reactions of professional coaches and scouts oogling and the ooo’s and ahhhh’s - reminds me of some of my most favorite fun clubs- but seriously the part I’m interested in is “ (leadership and mental processing, how they respond to problems) all the stuff between their ears. Physical is important but there was a different reason Jeff George. Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, and Vince Young didn’t make it….” Between the ears”

That's what makes this such a hard decision for Peters bc between Daniels, Maye & McCarthy, I think they all have the “between the ears” stuff down. I think they're leaders with good heads on their shoulders, who will process things well and work hard to improve on their weaknesses. 

With that being the case, the tape of how they consistently perform in the pocket has to be the determining factor for me. Maybe has a lot to work on with his footwork as many have pointed out like @Slappy Mc pointed out as well in his breakdown of his Maye’s pro day. But it also screams the lack of talent Maye was working with when his receivers were running sloppy routes and dropping passes in scripted plays that I'm sure they've all gone over every day for a month. That's what makes Maye’s evaluation hard to me.

Then with McCarthy it's a hard evaluation bc Harbaugh didn't ask him to do much at all the last 2 years in college. It's a very hard projection to take what JJ did in college to the pros. He only threw the ball 22 times & 23 times in his 2 years in college.

His stats are underwhelming for a starting QB bc he wasn't asked todo much?

Now was that bc Harbaugh didn't trust JJ to carry the team in the passing game or bc Harbaugh saw the best way to win was give it to Corum & Donovan Edwards all game? I lean to the former bc when Harbaugh had Andrew Luck he threw the ball 31 times a game & let Luck carry the offense more off his arm than he ever did with McCarthy.

I don't know, McCarthy just screams average NFL starter ceiling to me. Daniels if he progresses in the pocket - doesn't run too much - and stays healthy can be a top 10 QB I think but, Maye is still the one for me.

I don't see Maye as a finished product. He all the skills/size & strength you want from in an NFL QB plus that sneaky athleticism like Josh Allen, Herbert & Big Ben. For that reason I still lean Maye bc I just see him progressing so much under Kingsbury, Brian Johnson & Pritchard. I think they're going to take that raw talent w/ flashes of greatness we've seen in college out of Maye and mold it into a top 5 ish QB by year 3. 

10 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I love that! Me and Ian Cummings used to write for the same blog a decade ago. He was in college & I was like 35 😂 

He's a really good talent evaluator. I love Sinnott, he reminds me so much of Cooley. I really hope we can get him in R3.