The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I was talking to a UNC grad yesterday who is also a Commanders fan. I asked what he wanted to do expecting a "definitely Maye" response.

He didn't. He did say trade down (so I asked if he was @Slappy Mc).

I said if we didn't trade down then what? He wasn't sure. He likes Maye, but he didn't like how much like Howell he was in his quiet demeanor. He said something like "sometimes I want my QB to get mad and go out there and get the team fired up. I worry he doesn't have that, and it will be an issue in the NFL. It was hard to watch in college sometimes." I am paraphrasing more or less, but I thought it was interesting. 

That was the knock on Justin Herbert. They're introverts. I’ll take it if it means top 10, arguably top 5 QB play 3 years from now & a playoff win or more.

Edited by turtle28

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He has a better arm than luck. I think luck was a physical freak though with his wheels for his size. Especially for his era. I don’t hate the comp though. Luck was much cleaner fundamentally though. He had almost perfect feet and motion

14 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

He has a better arm than luck. I think luck was a physical freak though with his wheels for his size. Especially for his era. I don’t hate the comp though. Luck was much cleaner fundamentally though. He had almost perfect feet and motion

Yeah, Maye has to improve his footwork and fundamentals. If he's drafted, I don't know that he starts week 1 - which is one reason I wanted to keep Howell. Maye seems like a middle of season starter bc I don't know that Mariota would have us with a winning season & if we have a losing season after 6 or 8 games, it's time to go to the rookie who's been sitting and developing for two months.

I actually still like the Big Ben or Josh Allen comps more. They were more raw as prospects than Luck was. Big Ben basically just handed the ball off to Bettis & Fast Willie Parker in 2004 & 2005. I think Maye is that type of runner too, certainly not a burner but DBs will take some punishment tackling him on scrambles & designed runs.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I think he would fit in well in DQ defense 

Nice first step and he has two really really good swim and inside out moves. I think he’s actually got more play strength then he’s displayed I think he just needs to work on how to get under with his length

• Like 2

I tell you man I know Jayden is closer to a finished project and if we cut out JJ from realistic possibility and we have to go Maye or Daniels I’d take the traits and I’d bet on my coaches. Maye’s size and his arm and movement skills just seem better. Again I’d take the winner with a similar skillset but if it’s between the two at this point I’d go Maye. If nothing else I don’t like what Brian Kelly did at Jayden’s pro day. If he has knowledge that’s a huge blow to any draft poker we could be playing. But the way that ball jumps out of Mayes hand is just different it’s effortless and if you focus on mechanics then I think you have something. I just hate our backup and mentor we’ve signed this year in Mariota. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Nice first step and he has two really really good swim and inside out moves. I think he’s actually got more play strength then he’s displayed I think he just needs to work on how to get under with his length

I mean Dan Quinn coaching a guy named Marshawn again. Sounds perfect!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

This comp is funny because we've been basically handed a chance at Andrew Luck again but we could get RG2.0. I am not saying I think either comp is right there but its just SO FUNNY that it happens this year.

Am I the only member here, who believes we trade down from the #2 spot.

I believe we take a QB. (No idea who now but...)

I do believe we trade down with Arizona @#4.

If I had to guess, I think the top 4 will be again..

#1 QB Caleb Williams - Bears

#2 WR Marvin Harrison jr. - Arizona

#3 QB Drake Maye - New England (or perhaps a team from trade up like Minnesota) 

#4 QB Jayden Daniels - Washington 

35 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

I told myself I wasn't going to talk QBs today. Already broke that. Tomorrow is another day.

Anyway, Mike Sainristil please.

Love him!!!! Best CB in the draft