The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

6 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Am I the only member here, who believes we trade down from the #2 spot.

I believe we take a QB. (No idea who now but...)

I do believe we trade down with Arizona @#4.

If I had to guess, I think the top 4 will be again..

#1 QB Caleb Williams - Bears

#2 WR Marvin Harrison jr. - Arizona

#3 QB Drake Maye - New England (or perhaps a team from trade up like Minnesota) 

#4 QB Jayden Daniels - Washington 

I will reiterate that my best case scenario entering this offseason (after Dan Quinn hire) was to trade down from 2 and maximize the return, take the best prospects regardless of position with acquired picks and sign a vet QB to be a bridge and mentor Sam Howell. 

However, as it currently stands, we have one option with our 1st draft choice: to draft our QBotF.

Now to your point. There is only one circumstance that a trade down would even be considered IMO, if they did not feel they could go wrong with ANY of the top 3/4 QB prospects AND they did not have a preference between them. As you have suggested, I don't think they would consider going any lower than 4 and that is only if they consider JJ McCarthy in the same class as Daniels and Maye.

So the biggest questions are: Do they have a preference? If so, there is no chance they trade down. And if they don't have a preference, what do they stand to gain from the trade down to 4? Paying a little less money to a QB, gaining another 2nd/3rd round pick? And the last question is why would NE or Ari want to trade up to our pick? Especially NE, they can take their pick from Maye/Daniels, Daniels/McCarthy or McCarthy/Maye. Even more questionable is that Arizona has no competition for MHJr, thus no incentive to trade up, IMO.

At the end of the day, we will take a QB at #2. I firmly believe that. Any desire for them to trade down left with Sam Howell. We NEED to get the best QB prospect we can so Mariota sees the field as little as possible and so we can build hope for the future.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

A similar smear campaign iirc was being levied on Stroud

Oh. I didn't know that. We weren't in a position for any of the QBs last year so I didn't really pay attention to that. It was also very unlikely we went QB when Ron most likely wouldn't have been here past the kids rookie year.

I will say that I doubted Stroud simply because of the history of Ohio State QBs without ever looking at his body of work or him as an athlete. Happy to say that he broke the cycle though.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I know what you're talking about, but if you zoom into the picture like nothing looks right with the arm, it's weird like I don't know if it was photoshopped or what but, his bicep doesn't look right. The upper arm and forearm aren't lined up properly. The whole arm doesn't look right.

David Carr thinks Maye is the best fit for the Commanders as well. So, that's Tim Hassleback, Orlovsky, Pat MacAfee, David Carr, Rick Spielman said Maye will go before Daniels and I know I'm missing some.

What did Spielman think of Maye and Daniels?

On his “With the First Pick” podcast, Spielman was impressed with both quarterbacks, but believes Maye will be drafted ahead of Daniels.

“No, I do believe Drake will go first,” Spielman said. “We watched them back to back.”

Spielman reiterated his stance when his co-host, Ryan Wilson, brought up Spielman’s text to Wilson during Maye’s pro day, in which Spielman said, “You’re crazy if you think Jayden is going before Drake.”

Since he is the QB Coach, I’m curious on what amount of input Tavita is going to have in choosing Maye or Daniels. It seems the one constant comment you hear that’s not split between analysts is that Jayden is more ready right now. Is Tavita that guy who can fix Drake’s deficiencies and get him right where he becomes that guy? 
Deep down I hope Maye is the pick.

4 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Since he is the QB Coach, I’m curious on what amount of input Tavita is going to have in choosing Maye or Daniels. It seems the one constant comment you hear that’s not split between analysts is that Jayden is more ready right now. Is Tavita that guy who can fix Drake’s deficiencies and get him right where he becomes that guy? 
Deep down I hope Maye is the pick.

Probably not much. My guess is whoever pick is mostly going to be working with Kliff. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

Probably not much. My guess is whoever pick is mostly going to be working with Kliff. 

Can KK fix footwork issues and other physical issues a QB may have? I know KK has the scheme and the playing part of it.