The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

5 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Comments like this really baffle me. You guys just believing the media hype? What makes you guys so sure that it's Daniels? Betting odds? 

That's all nonsense. None of these QBs past Caleb Williams are shoe-ins. No clue why anyone would be sure enough to think it's "set in stone" or declare "their picking Jaylen." I'm not even sure we make a selection at #2 overall... 

It seems extremely unlikely we trade down. These massive trade ups for picks in the top 3 have occurred before the draft in recent years, and there have been no rumblings anywhere of us discussing anything like that. The Bears pick at #1 is locked in stone at this point, I would think if we were trading down we would have done it already. 

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I guess Field Yates is taking McShay’s place in draft coverage on ESPN now — he and Kiper did the dueling mock this year. Three rounds, and they had us taking the following players:

1 (2). QB Jayden Daniels, LSU

2 (36). CB Ennis Rakestraw, Missouri

2 (40). OT Kingsley Suamataia, BYU

3 (67). WR Roman Wilson, Michigan

3 (78). DE Jonah Elliss, Utah

3 (100). TE Ja’Tavion Sanders, Texas

Not going to bother talking about the first pick, as that one is pretty much set in stone at this point.

I don’t hate this outcome, although the only player I actually like is Roman Wilson, and I’d also have to agree that Sanders would be great value at 100. That’s one of the benefits of having so many quality picks, I guess — the “haul” feels kind of impressive even when you don’t particularly like any of the players individually. 

Man that's rough

12 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Comments like this really baffle me. You guys just believing the media hype? What makes you guys so sure that it's Daniels? Betting odds? 

That's all nonsense. None of these QBs past Caleb Williams are shoe-ins. No clue why anyone would be sure enough to think it's "set in stone" or declare "their picking Jaylen." I'm not even sure we make a selection at #2 overall... 

There's no way they would've traded Howell if they're moving the second pick. Could you imagine trying to sell Mariota and nobody else to this fanbase lol. 

18 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I agree. I don't think we know anything. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I guess Field Yates is taking McShay’s place in draft coverage on ESPN now — he and Kiper did the dueling mock this year. Three rounds, and they had us taking the following players:

1 (2). QB Jayden Daniels, LSU

2 (36). CB Ennis Rakestraw, Missouri

2 (40). OT Kingsley Suamataia, BYU

3 (78). DE Jonah Elliss, Utah

Not going to bother talking about the first pick, as that one is pretty much set in stone at this point.

I don’t hate this outcome, although the only player I actually like is Roman Wilson, and I’d also have to agree that Sanders would be great value at 100. That’s one of the benefits of having so many quality picks, I guess — the “haul” feels kind of impressive even when you don’t particularly like any of the players individually. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39927794/2024-nfl-mock-draft-three-rounds-mel-kiper-field-yates-predict-first-100-picks 

2. Washington Commanders

Yates' pick: Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU

The Commanders can land their quarterback of the present and future here with Daniels, the most dynamic dual-threat signal-caller the draft has seen in a while. Daniels' calm demeanor in LSU's biggest moments last season gives me confidence he will make a smoother transition to the NFL than most rookie passers.

36. Washington Commanders

Yates' pick: Ennis Rakestraw Jr., CB, Missouri

Rakestraw is tough and physical, and he plays faster than his 4.51 time in the 40 suggests. He would bring an immediate edge to the new-look Commanders' defense.

40. Washington Commanders (via CHI)

Yates' pick: Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU

Great pick, Mel. You know I love McConkey's game. The Commanders, meanwhile, would need to protect Jayden Daniels, and Suamataia has the chance to become a really talented pro with a bit of time. His power and explosiveness are obvious on film.

67. Washington Commanders

Kiper's pick: Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan

Washington should use one of its three third-rounders on a wideout who can help its new quarterback in 2023. Wilson, who ran a 4.39-second 40 at the combine, can make plays on screens and crossers.

78. Washington Commanders (via SEA)

Yates' pick: Jonah Elliss, EDGE, Utah

Elliss has an advanced catalog of rush moves, and he'd be yet another part of the Commanders' edge rush rebuild after trading Montez Sweat and Chase Young last year. Elliss had 12 sacks last season.

100. Washington Commanders (via SF; compensatory pick)

Yates' pick: Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas

OK, let's wrap this thing up with Washington's sixth pick. Sanders is a legitimate playmaker with the football in his hands, and the Commanders would need more of those kinds of players around Jayden Daniels.

25 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

It seems extremely unlikely we trade down. These massive trade ups for picks in the top 3 have occurred before the draft in recent years, and there have been no rumblings anywhere of us discussing anything like that. The Bears pick at #1 is locked in stone at this point, I would think if we were trading down we would have done it already. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-nfl-draft-rumors-commanders-receiving-calls-for-no-2-overall-pick-potential-teams-who-could-trade-up/

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/23/commanders-trade-pick-nfl-draft

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10114176-commanders-getting-trade-calls-on-no-2-pick-in-2024-nfl-draft-dan-quinn-says

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/dan-quinn-fair-to-envision-commanders-drafting-a-qb-but-well-listen-to-trade-calls

The calls are definitely coming in. We are "listening" to them. Doesn't mean they are going to trade down or even that they are open to moving down, but there are calls coming in and we are answering the phones. 

12 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

2. Washington Commanders

Yates' pick: Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU

The Commanders can land their quarterback of the present and future here with Daniels, the most dynamic dual-threat signal-caller the draft has seen in a while. Daniels' calm demeanor in LSU's biggest moments last season gives me confidence he will make a smoother transition to the NFL than most rookie passers.

Calm demeanor with 38 years to throw and 2 number ones to throw to.

49 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

That's all nonsense. None of these QBs past Caleb Williams are shoe-ins. No clue why anyone would be sure enough to think it's "set in stone" or declare "they’re picking Jaylen." I'm not even sure we make a selection at #2 overall... 

They’re using their top mouthpieces (Keim and Schefter) to sell Jayden, with all this “every coach/scout/personnel guy I talk to says he’s number 2 (and maybe closer to number 1!!)” stuff. 

Same guys that were quasi-leaking the second-guessing with Ben Johnson and how much they loved Quinn. It’s also what the prior regime did with the Commanders name — basically the same playbook. They know the fanbase was headed strongly in one direction early on in the process, but they want to do something else — so these targeted non-leaks are the way to get everyone used to the concept without the team actually leaking what they’re going to do.

I’d put it around 85-90% that it’s Jayden at 2 at this point. Maybe higher. That’s not what I want, but just trying to read what’s out there. Schefter and Keim selling this bill of goods about how the whole league believes Jayden is the runaway QB2 (which is horse****) is coming from us.

27 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

What's weird about the Daniels thing to me is how none of these scouts or analysts realized he was this good the 4 years of football he played prior...like how does that happen? How do you not realize a guy who had 43 starts going into this season wasn't a top 5 pick but now are so totally certain about it?

Just working through their framework to see what I would have done instead of their approach.

1 (2). QB Drake Maye, UNC

** I would then have tried to trade 36 + 67 to each of the teams from 19 to 21 to try to get Amarius Mims (who went at 22). 

** I would then have tried to trade 36 + 100 to the teams from 28-30 to try to get Jordan Morgan (who went at 31).

Assuming neither trade worked out…

2 (36). C Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon

** Once I missed on McConkey at 40, I would have tried to trade down into the mid-50s and score a late 3rd (which I would likely have used to trade back up, also into the mid-50s).

Assuming none of that worked out…

2 (40). DE Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan

3 (78). OT Blake Fisher, Notre Dame

Powers-Johnson is a great value pick at 36, though it’s one that I might have regretted because technically (in their world) I could have had both him and McConkey if I’d taken McConkey first. But realistically, I would not have done that.

Kneeland is my favorite option at a pick I mostly hate (#40), Roman Wilson remains me of a skinnier Terry McLaurin as a prospect, Blake Fisher would be an awesome value and a legitimate potential OT starter at 78, and Sanders is still arguably TE2 on the very fringes of R4.

Edited by e16bball

23 minutes ago, e16bball said:

They’re using their top mouthpieces (Keim and Schefter) to sell Jayden, with all this “every coach/scout/personnel guy I talk to says he’s number 2 (and maybe closer to number 1!!)” stuff. 

Keim and Schefter are speaking their beliefs off of information that they have gathered or inferred. Neither are employees or to use your term "mouthpieces" for Washington. 

25 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Same guys that were quasi-leaking the second-guessing with Ben Johnson and how much they loved Quinn. It’s also what the prior regime did with the Commanders name — basically the same playbook. They know the fanbase was headed strongly in one direction early on in the process, but they want to do something else — so these targeted non-leaks are the way to get everyone used to the concept without the team actually leaking what they’re going to do.

I frankly think you are stuck in the past with this logic. The team doesn't care if you guys like Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye, they are building a successful franchise. They are going to draft who they believe will be successful, not who the fans want. 

28 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’d put it around 85-90% that it’s Jayden at 2 at this point. Maybe higher. That’s not what I want, but just trying to read what’s out there. Schefter and Keim selling this bill of goods about how the whole league believes Jayden is the runaway QB2 (which is horse****) is coming from us.

I'd say you have just as much clue as Keim and Schefter do about who they will actually draft. You have strong opinions about what you want and don't want, but at the end of the day neither yours, nor mine, opinions matter to what the F.O. team decides.

Instead of enjoying the ride and relishing the opportunity that we have to truly continue to reshape this franchise, we are still focusing on our personal feelings and taking stuff like this to heart before it's ever happened. The Snyder Era truly messed with the psyche of our fans. 

Keim and Schefter don't know what we are going to do or who we are going to draft. You don't know. I don't know. Hell I'm sure Adam Peters doesn't know as he is still interviewing candidates. That's something we haven't had in decades. Enjoy that our hand isn't being tipped, instead of freaking out about it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

All of those articles are from 3 weeks ago. 

Your point? You said "there have been no rumblings anywhere of us discussing anything like that."

That was false. Dan Quinn has openly discussed it. It is an option. 

26 minutes ago, lavar703 said:
55 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

What's weird about the Daniels thing to me is how none of these scouts or analysts realized he was this good the 4 years of football he played prior...like how does that happen? How do you not realize a guy who had 43 starts going into this season wasn't a top 5 pick but now are so totally certain about it?

At least I have competition for who dislikes taking "insert selected QB here" the most. 

Here I thought I would be the only one to be overly critical of a selected QB.

40 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Your point? You said "there have been no rumblings anywhere of us discussing anything like that."

That was false. Dan Quinn has openly discussed it. It is an option. 

Because my whole point was that we would likely have traded down already if we were going to.