The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

Just now, turtle28 said:

@Slappy Mc I just have to point this out to everyone. When Lynch, Peters & Kyle got to the 49ers. In their first draft in 2017, they overthought the Qbs prospects in that draft and drafted a bust in Soloman Thomas while passing on Qbs like Patrick Mahomes & DeShaun Watson. He needs to not overthink it and take the QB he likes the best.

Fair enough. Doesn't mean it has to be my preferred outcome.

Like I said, if the new FO feels that QB is the right direction and they pick their guy, I'm going to back the player 100%. I just don't feel the QBs are can't miss and drafting someone like Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu would be the best pick we could make (Marvin Harrison Jr honorable mention). 

Getting a top notch talent on the O-Line affects everyone on the offense. 

Just my feelings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

My only thing is that we just took Stromberg last year. Taking a C in R2 delegates Stromberg to a definite backup C unless he can win the starting LG spot.

I hear what you’re saying but I guarantee you this guy can play G and he would excel at it. C is a huge position with a lot of responsibility and Stromberg had a knee injury so there’s no guarantees and having 2 guys who can play the position is not a bad thing. Also Stromberg still has a lot to prove, I just love the way Johnson plays and you can’t teach that. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I hear what you’re saying but I guarantee you this guy can play G and he would excel at it. C is a huge position with a lot of responsibility and Stromberg had a knee injury so there’s no guarantees and having 2 guys who can play the position is not a bad thing. Also Stromberg still has a lot to prove, I just love the way Johnson plays and you can’t teach that. 

Very true & I'm not doubting the prospect. It's the same feeling I have with Slapy’s mock in that we're doubling down on centers hoping one of the 2 can play G. I say draft a G & OT, take a C in the mid rounds.

Liked him for a while now and would like more of a passing attack with TE’s. I wonder if we can get this guy with our second 3rd rd pick. He’s not Bowers but has really good hands, looks to have decent speed and good blocker.

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

2: R1 P2 QB Drake Maye - North Carolina 
36: R2 P4 C Jackson Powers-Johnson - Oregon
40: R2 P8 G Zak Zinter - Michigan
67: R3 P3 WR Malachi Corley - Western Kentucky
99: R3 P35 TE Ben Sinnott - Kansas State
102: R4 P2 LB Junior Colson - Michigan
140: R5 P4 LB Jaylan Ford - Texas
178: R6 P3 CB M.J. Devonshire - Pittsburgh
221: R7 P2 RB Jarquez Hunter - Auburn
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:
2: R1 P2 QB Drake Maye - North Carolina 
36: R2 P4 C Jackson Powers-Johnson - Oregon
40: R2 P8 G Zak Zinter - Michigan
67: R3 P3 WR Malachi Corley - Western Kentucky
99: R3 P35 TE Ben Sinnott - Kansas State
102: R4 P2 LB Junior Colson - Michigan
140: R5 P4 LB Jaylan Ford - Texas
178: R6 P3 CB M.J. Devonshire - Pittsburgh
221: R7 P2 RB Jarquez Hunter - Auburn

Now just imagine if you added Alt too those other two OL and your talking about a complete offensive line overhaul with complete nastiness!!! Zinter might not play next year but he is a team captain type. Alt is a freak and Powers to pair with Cosmi I’d bet money the INT’s would cut in half for Sam. Now I know nobody is banking on that but I’m just saying we’d have 4 really talented OL from a unit that literally has 1 really good with barely serviceable that be amazing. Plus in the OT class I find it really hard to not get one of them!!!

Edited by ripsean21

7 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Liked him for a while now and would like more of a passing attack with TE’s. I wonder if we can get this guy with our second 3rd rd pick. He’s not Bowers but has really good hands, looks to have decent speed and good blocker.

He’s been a really good player for them he’s made some big catches as well. It’s hard to comp Bowers because as I’ve pointed out he’s legit in comparable. What he’s done for 3 years in the SEC his numbers he’s the best to ever come out at that position and there’s no comp. I’d actually probably be the only one but if we took him 2 I’d be elated he’s that good. He’s worth it because he’s a value pick. IMO if Pitts and Vernon Davis can go as high as they did the there’s no over drafting Bowers. 

• Like 1

Like here’s my thing about this team. I think we all actually agree that if Sam was playing in Turners system where we ran the ball like our team was actually built. And we ran route concepts and featured Terry. While how Jahan played in that system I think we all can agree Sam has better numbers and looks way better not being just thrown out there to run a system because the coordinator says this is what I do. We all know this staff did no favors on either side of the ball to maximize the roster. I’m def not against picking a QB I just don’t think we can judge a single player on this roster knowing how bad the scheme was to maximizing players. Thankfully I believe we’re about to have a FO and staff that will maximize and collectively agree on the selections and vision for this team!!! I’m excited to see who they bring in and identify for our identity going forward because I agree with Peters there is a core here

• Like 1

Ran another mock draft through PFF

RD 1: Drake Maye

RD 2: Tyler Guyton

RD 2: Chop Robinson

RD 3: Blake Corum

RD 3: Cooper Beebe

PFN Mock Draft Simulator

Drake Maye

QB North Carolina

Troy Fautanu

OG Washington

Cooper Beebe

OG Kansas State

Ben Sinnott

TE Kansas State

Blake Corum

RB Michigan

Payton Wilson

LB NC State

Zak Zinter

OG Michigan

Sione Vaki

S Utah

Marist Liufau

LB Notre Dame

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Stromberg only being here for a year, and being hurt for a lot of it, may actually play into his favor.  It is clear that our OL took a step back when John Matsko was shown the door, and we switched to zone blocking.  Stromberg doesn’t have a lot of experience in what we tried to do, so if we switch, it’s not a big thing.  

His head coach at Arkansas was another OL whisperer similar to Matsko- Sam Pittman- and his OL are great prospects and are well coached.  If they want to count on Stromberg proving himself this year at a position, I would believe it.  This is what I mean by an evaluation year.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Stromberg only being here for a year, and being hurt for a lot of it, may actually play into his favor.  It is clear that our OL took a step back when John Matsko was shown the door, and we switched to zone blocking.  Stromberg doesn’t have a lot of experience in what we tried to do, so if we switch, it’s not a big thing.  

His head coach at Arkansas was another OL whisperer similar to Matsko- Sam Pittman- and his OL are great prospects and are well coached.  If they want to count on Stromberg proving himself this year at a position, I would believe it.  This is what I mean by an evaluation year.  

I agree. I think Stromberg probably starts at center this year. I'd love to pair him with Guyton and Beebe. 

Leno-Beebe-Stromberg-Cosmi-Guyton 

I think that would be a pretty stout line and then in 2025 we take a LT. 

41 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I had to laugh at this guy who posted a mock on X where he got Bowers at Pick 36. So ridiculous! He was so proud. He’s delusional is more like it. 

Yeah it just won’t happen. Will he go higher than any other TE? Probably not. Should he? Heck yeah. There’s just never been a guy with his tape size movement skills and production. Idc who our QB is this guy would transcend any offense this staff brings in. He Terry and Jahan would be dangerous

51 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Yeah it just won’t happen. Will he go higher than any other TE? Probably not. Should he? Heck yeah. There’s just never been a guy with his tape size movement skills and production. Idc who our QB is this guy would transcend any offense this staff brings in. He Terry and Jahan would be dangerous

I've been wondering what it would cost to get back up and get Bowers? Say we take Maye at 2 and we get to picks 10-15 and Bowers is potentially still sitting there. Would our two 2nd's and one of our 3rds do it? Maybe throw in Jonathan Allen depending on the team but my guess is we'd be parting with our 2025 first to come back up.