The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

6 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

God watching Romeo Doubs makes me still believe there’s a ton in the tank for Cole Turner!!! I just don’t trust any development that was here on this staff. Cole has flashed and albeit very briefly the guy has talent. Watching so much Nevada back when they were there scouting them and Strong god I just believe there’s something in that kid that I know can play on this level. Doubs is exactly what you would have expected by this time. Turner just hasn’t been able to stay on the field and I believe it’s coaching. We never let guys sink. We just bench them. When Logan was down he made plays when Sam was pressing the ball around. We just don’t ever let players build. Maybe he never becomes a truely special blocker but the kid can make amazing catches and he’s tough.

Make or break year for Turner, especially if Thomas is out. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

God watching Romeo Doubs makes me still believe there’s a ton in the tank for Cole Turner!!! I just don’t trust any development that was here on this staff. Cole has flashed and albeit very briefly the guy has talent. Watching so much Nevada back when they were there scouting them and Strong god I just believe there’s something in that kid that I know can play on this level. Doubs is exactly what you would have expected by this time. Turner just hasn’t been able to stay on the field and I believe it’s coaching. We never let guys sink. We just bench them. When Logan was down he made plays when Sam was pressing the ball around. We just don’t ever let players build. Maybe he never becomes a truely special blocker but the kid can make amazing catches and he’s tough.

@turtle28 some Cole Turner love...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

2024 The year for TE love. Love to see it be more part of the offense and would open things up and believe drives will be longer, more controlled and easier to sustain. 

It’s a element we haven’t had since a healthy Jordan Reed and this team hasn’t even been close to a impactful offense since he’s left.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

God watching Romeo Doubs makes me still believe there’s a ton in the tank for Cole Turner!!! I just don’t trust any development that was here on this staff. Cole has flashed and albeit very briefly the guy has talent.

Watching so much Nevada back when they were there scouting them and Strong god I just believe there’s something in that kid that I know can play on this level. Doubs is exactly what you would have expected by this time.

Turner just hasn’t been able to stay on the field and I believe it’s coaching. We never let guys sink. We just bench them. When Logan was down Turner made plays when Sam was spreading the ball around. We just don’t ever let players build.

Maybe he never becomes a truely special blocker but the kid can make amazing catches and he’s tough.

100% agree but, they also need to draft a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round to help replace Thomas who I agree w/ Lavar & Mike, doesn't have anything left in the tank.

We can't rely on Bates to be anything more than a blocker and like you said Turner is still an enigma bc he never sees the field as the 3rd TE behind those 2.

Thus, we have to draft one. I'd rather not overpay for Dalton Shultz, but I don't hate the idea of signing him either.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

100% agree but, they also need to draft a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round to help replace Thomas who I agree w/ Lavar & Mike, doesn't have anything left in the tank.

We can't rely on Bates to be anything more than a blocker and like you said Turner is still an enigma bc he never sees the field as the 3rd TE behind those 2.

Thus, we have to draft one. I'd rather not overpay for Dalton Shultz, but I don't hate the idea of signing him either.

I wouldn’t sign a FA TE either. Def look twards the draft that’s where you develop the good ones. 

• Like 1

If 4 years/$50ish gets it done for Schultz you have to consider it. Hes been a solid to good TE the last 4 years and it gets rid of an immediate, must take care of, need 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

If 4 years/$50ish gets it done for Schultz you have to consider it. Hes been a solid to good TE the last 4 years and it gets rid of an immediate, must take care of, need 

I like D. Schultz and vouched for him in here as the only TE worth going after if we use FA. Team him up with Kansas St. Ben Sinnott from the draft. Good to have reliable TE for a rookie QB  

Tee Higgins and Justin Jones DT/Bears are 2 other FA I would be interested in signing.  

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I think that’s probably a fair deal. I’ve been turned off to FA deals for TEs since whiffing so badly on Austin Hooper, but Schultz seemed to be able to make the transition to HOU pretty effectively. Had a bit of a slow start, but from October on (12 games), he put up a 75 catch and 830 yard pace.

I think if they end up with Slowik, it’s probably a no-brainer move. Familiarity with the offense is, I believe, almost as important for TEs as it is for QBs. But even if it’s someone else, he looks like a guy who can adapt to different schemes. 

The big thing about FA is that there just aren’t gonna be a lot of major names out there at our need positions. Maybe just a couple good starting OL, maybe one or two interesting WRs, some high-end EDGE players (most of whom will probably get franchised), some risky LB options. So we will have all this money, but I suspect there won’t be a ton of great options out there to spend it on. Checking that TE box — especially in light of a draft that looks pretty sparse for plug and play TE talent — might be a good use of some of that cap space. Especially if we’re trying to develop a young QB. A reliable veteran TE is a nice safety blanket for a rookie QB who is trying to find his way. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think that’s probably a fair deal. I’ve been turned off to FA deals for TEs since whiffing so badly on Austin Hooper, but Schultz seemed to be able to make the transition to HOU pretty effectively. Had a bit of a slow start, but from October on (12 games), he put up a 75 catch and 830 yard pace.

I think if they end up with Slowik, it’s probably a no-brainer move. Familiarity with the offense is, I believe, almost as important for TEs as it is for QBs. But even if it’s someone else, he looks like a guy who can adapt to different schemes. 

The big thing about FA is that there just aren’t gonna be a lot of major names out there at our need positions. Maybe just a couple good starting OL, maybe one or two interesting WRs, some high-end EDGE players (most of whom will probably get franchised), some risky LB options. So we will have all this money, but I suspect there won’t be a ton of great options out there to spend it on. Checking that TE box — especially in light of a draft that looks pretty sparse for plug and play TE talent — might be a good use of some of that cap space. Especially if we’re trying to develop a young QB. A reliable veteran TE is a nice safety blanket for a rookie QB who is trying to find his way. 

I think they have to take a swing at Tee Higgins. They probably won't get him and that's totally fine but if he hits free agency free and clear you at least have to consider it. I think Schultz and Higgins paired with Ben Johnson/Slowik probably improves your offense a considerable amount.

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think they have to take a swing at Tee Higgins. They probably won't get him and that's totally fine but if he hits free agency free and clear you at least have to consider it. I think Schultz and Higgins paired with Ben Johnson/Slowik probably improves your offense a considerable amount.

On the other side of the coin, I'd rather target a WR on Day 2. There are some considerable WRs that should be available in that frame. Go get one of them (Corley/Worthy, Walker for Maye, Mitchell/Wilson for size). Pair that with signing a guy like Reynolds, or a rebound 1 year deal with Bourne or Hardman (or hell even Samuel maybe). Stack the WR room with Terry, a bounce back year for Dotson, one of those Day 2 WRs, and Reynolds or a 1 year deal talented guy and combine that with using the money on Shultz, and I'd feel good about giving Maye that receiving corps. 

Ben Johnson (assuming that's the end result) does like to spread the ball around, so having a plethora of options would be nice. Would I be mad at signing Higgins? Hell no. I just would go in a different direction. 

QB: Maye

WR: Terry McLaurin
WR: Jahan Dotson
WR: one of Corley/Worthy/Walker/Mitchell/Wilson
WR: one of Reynolds/Samuel/Bourne/Hardman
TE: Schultz

I could dig that. Spend the Higgins money on Robert Hunt and resigning Fuller. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

On the other side of the coin, I'd rather target a WR on Day 2. There are some considerable WRs that should be available in that frame. Go get one of them (Corley/Worthy, Walker for Maye, Mitchell/Wilson for size). Pair that with signing a guy like Reynolds, or a rebound 1 year deal with Bourne or Hardman (or hell even Samuel maybe). Stack the WR room with Terry, a bounce back year for Dotson, one of those Day 2 WRs, and Reynolds or a 1 year deal talented guy and combine that with using the money on Shultz, and I'd feel good about giving Maye that receiving corps. 

Ben Johnson (assuming that's the end result) does like to spread the ball around, so having a plethora of options would be nice. Would I be mad at signing Higgins? Hell no. I just would go in a different direction. 

QB: Maye

WR: Terry McLaurin
WR: Jahan Dotson
WR: one of Corley/Worthy/Walker/Mitchell/Wilson
WR: one of Reynolds/Samuel/Bourne/Hardman
TE: Schultz

I could dig that. Spend the Higgins money on Robert Hunt and resigning Fuller. 

I say it fully expecting them to not even consider him. I just think when a talent like that hits free agency you have to try. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’d absolutely consider it. I just don’t think he’s going to hit FA.

14 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I like D. Schultz and vouched for him in here as the only TE worth going after if we use FA. Team him up with Kansas St. Ben Sinnott from the draft. Good to have reliable TE for a rookie QB  

Tee Higgins and Justin Jones DT/Bears are 2 other FA I would be interested in signing.  

I agree with most of this like signing Higgins & Shultz if they'll have us and OL but why are we signing a DT? 

We have Allen, Payne, Ridgeway & Mathis.

I’ll agree Mathis hasn't shown though to be relied upon to start or anything, but to be our 3rd or 4th DT yes.