The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

33 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Drake Maye -- big drop down from Willams-They all are IMHO. But Williams and his family issues etc . UGH. 

Drake Maye-ACC competition-UGH. Watched a lot of highlights. He seems to stare his first option and go with him. Thankfully seemed to have time for him to uncover or Maye would just take off. Arm strength looks fine .. Just don't have a good feeling about him . 

I'm in the tradedown group and take a swing at a QB later in the draft. Unless Williams is there at #2 .

If they pass on Drake Maye to go the safer route with a lesser prospect like Penix or Nix I think I’ll be so incredibly bummed. We’ll be right back at this again in two years wondering what QB we’re going to draft and talking about trading up to get one but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Maye having issues with staring down his first read? @e16bballcould probably speak to that better than me. He’s seen Maye a lot more than me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

@Slappy Mc's 2006 mock I stumbled across looking for Jeff King stuff.

Washington 7 Round Mock (without compensation picks)

2nd Round Pick 54- Daryll Tapp DE Virginia Tech
Solid Defecive End. Exactly what our defence needs. Great Speed, Quick First Step and if he was a little bigger would have been a first round selection but instead he falls here.

3rd Round Pick 86- Will Blackmon CB Boston College
Very Talented, although he didnt have the greatest Senior Bowl he did have some good practices. There were a lot of talented CBs other than Blackmon that did awesome in the Senior Bowl thats why he falls to us.

5th Round Pick 150- Jason Avant WR Michigan
Possibly one of the most underated players in this draft. No one has even mention Jason Avants playing ability and what he can do at the next level. He will mold into the offence and become our #2 reciever within a year or two.

6th Round Pick 182- Michael Robinson QB Penn State
Michael Robinson is also a big question mark. We need a #3 QB if by some wierd circumstance both of our QB's goes down (Philidelphia Eagles and Miami Dolphins both good examples) Robinson did not show that he was a "QB" in the Senior Bowl but continues to say that he would like to stay a QB. IMO he will do just fine as a QB. Skins take the chance.

6th Round Pick 189 (From Carolina via trade for Gardner)-Ed Blanton OT UCLA
Ed Blanton is another person that has not been getting the recognition he diserves. Ed is 6'9" and weighed in at 345 lbs. He is not your typical sized tackle to say the least but he is a solid player at the position and will provide some depth for our offencive line.

7th Round Pick 214- Greg Estandia TE UNLV
An unproven talent in the NCAA rankings but he will get his chance at proving himself in the NFL. Perfect size at TE 6'8" and weighed in at 255. Very good route runner and a Good blocker (when he focuses on it) He will be at solid TE at the next level....If he applies himself...Weakness here is lower body strength.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e470ymwme03aa18ej8qqe

The picks aside... my spelling almost 20 years ago was atrocious.

Also, its crazy to think I have been a part of this forum for that long. Thanks for the gem @MikeT14.

*Side note:
Darryl Tapp was selected 63rd by Seattle (played for Wash 2013 season)
Will Blackmon was selected 115th by Green Bay (SB Champion) (Played for Wash 2015 and 2016 season)
Jason Avant was selected 109th by Philly
Michael Robinson was selected 100th by SF (SB Champion)
Blanton and Estandia went Undrafted.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If they pass on Drake Maye to go the safer route with a lesser prospect like Penix or Nix I think I’ll be so incredibly bummed. We’ll be right back at this again in two years wondering what QB we’re going to draft and talking about trading up to get one but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Maye having issues with staring down his first read? 

He has some progression issues, but nothing I am concerned about that can't be fixed or helped. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Maye having issues with staring down his first read?

I mean, I hope you are talking about NFL Draft Scouting experts, or whatever you call them, because that is the biggest knock on Drake Maye in my mind. I have repeatedly said that he stares at his primary target too long...

On 1/10/2024 at 8:43 AM, Slappy Mc said:
On 1/10/2024 at 8:33 AM, Scott Land said:

I disagree, I think you're only saying that because he also went to UNC.

You are entitled to your opinion. 

On 1/10/2024 at 8:33 AM, Scott Land said:

Drake Maye is wildly similar to Justin Herbert. I'm not saying he will be as good as Herbert (but he has a similar ceiling), but the offenses they ran and college, their footwork, release, Maye is 2 inches shorter, but similar stature. I personally would not pass on a Herbert like talent (again).

I want you to watch Maye again and tell me that he doesn't lock onto his first receiver too long. Tell me that when pressured he doesn't play hero-ball too often leading to sacks and turnovers. I think he throws a beautiful ball. His height and weight are prototypical and ideal. Also, and this isn't his fault, he played out of the Shotgun about 90% of the time. NFL average was roughly 60% last year. I am very concerned about QBs that never play under center. I think he could end up as a good NFL QB, but I have my reservations.

@lavar703

• Like 1

It’s hard to explain how much I think context matters in watching these guys, even in watching full games versus highlights.

With regard to Maye specifically, the degree of difficulty is just so much higher for him than it is for guys like Daniels/Nix/Penix. He doesn’t have remotely the same amount of time, his receivers struggle badly to separate (and catch), and they’re not scheming guys open like some of these other offenses. I think you probably see more balls into tight windows in one Maye game than you do in 4-5 Daniels games. Which isn’t necessarily a good thing — obviously, in an ideal world, you’d be picking out the wide open guys to throw to. But I don’t think there are any (or many) for UNC on a lot of these plays. 

I don’t see him struggling any more than other college QBs to make quick reads. It’s a lot harder to work your progressions when you’re expecting the pass rush to get to you quickly, and I think maybe that got to him at times this past season. But I actually think he does a better job than most in figuring out where to go with the ball quickly, based on his call and what the defense is showing. He had to be good at that with their OL.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

But Fields has succeeded with no weapons no OL and no WR’s.

This is where you lose me.   He is a 11-29.  He has not succeeded.  He played a few good games.  Howell played a few good games too with no oline.  

Just now, offbyone said:

This is where you lose me.   He is a 11-29.  He has not succeeded.  He played a few good games.  Howell played a few good games too with no oline.  

If the idea is to trade for Fields I would just roll with Howell again. I would much rather see Howell with MHJ, a rebuilt OL and Ben Johnson than Fields. 

50 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If the idea is to trade for Fields I would just roll with Howell again. I would much rather see Howell with MHJ, a rebuilt OL and Ben Johnson than Fields. 

Well no real reason to limit ourselves!  If we want to go the MHJ route, we could easily acquire Fields for probably not too much and have a real qb competition.  I mean if we roll with Howell, it can't just be Howell.  There has to be a legit competition.

But as everyone has said we can't pass on a qb if they have one graded out as an elite qb. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I still have no clue how PFF's simulator has Cooper Beebe rated so low? Same with Guyton. I think both of these guys may end up in the back end of the first. 

I agree or top of 2nd for us! 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I'd rather draft Maye but, if we traded for Fields it would be a good competition between him and Howell.

Edited by turtle28

I like watching JPJ from Oregon, and every time I watch them, I fall a little bit more for RB Bucky Irving. 

Little dude, he looks very short and a bit slender. But man, he is quick. He can catch the ball and he is impossible to tackle. He has that Darren Sproles type feel to him, a guy that knows how to use his small stature to his advantage. 

At pick 100, he’d be very appealing as a complement to Robinson and Rodriguez.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I like watching JPJ from Oregon, and every time I watch them, I fall a little bit more for RB Bucky Irving. 

Little dude, he looks very short and a bit slender. But man, he is quick. He can catch the ball and he is impossible to tackle. He has that Darren Sproles type feel to him, a guy that knows how to use his small stature to his advantage. 

At pick 100, he’d be very appealing as a complement to Robinson and Rodriguez.

I was looking for that compliment as well and I was just wondering if you had seen any tape on Jarquez Hunter. I like him a lot. I attached just a small sample of him, let me know what you think.