The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

14 hours ago, e16bball said:

It kills me watching Amon-Ra tear teams up on the way to the championship game.

It’s not like Ron and company even made a bad pick with Dyami, but Amon-Ra was that dude, and he (and Nico Collins, incidentally) went in the next 30 picks. 

The difference between finding WR4 on your team and WR4 in the entire league is just franchise-changing. Doing that in the middle rounds, in addition to landing the expected studs at the top of the draft, is how you go from the bottom of the heap to the brink of the championship game. Really hoping that’s where Peters will work a little magic for us moving forward.

Xavier Worthy should be sitting there in the second round...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Xavier Worthy should be sitting there in the second round...

I absolutely love Worthy!!!! He Odunzi and Turner and Coleman all have dog in them. I like Nabers was on him earl!! But Worthy is that dude. Sadly he’s so built just like our top 2 which is fine but we need a big TE to maximize the pass catchers we have. Now both Jahan and Terry play much bigger than they are but we need a QB that is comfortable with them in the RZ. That takes time. So it doesn’t matter who is our QB if Sam’s in camp he’s going to look better then our rookie early as he should now having a year of tape and chemistry

Edited by ripsean21

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That's my guy. Dude is a burner. 

And he’s a hands catcher good route runner he’s very similar to Jahan plays bigger and runs with really good power for his build. I absolutely love Worthy. He would be a huge upgrade over Brown

On 1/21/2024 at 8:29 AM, ARTMONK HOF said:

Ken Johannesen

The Commanders had meetings with the following players at the Hula Bowl:

Ja’Quan Sheppard, CB, Maryland
Blake Watson, RB, Memphis
Michael Furtney, OG, Wisconsin
Solomon Byrd, DE/Edge, Southern Cal
Marco Ortiz, LS, Nebraska
Omar Speights, LB, LSU
Patrick McMorris, FS, California

Omar Speights is going to be a stud. 

Transferred from Oregon State to LSU and being around other highly talented players allowed him to show off a bit. 

Ken Johannesen 

* ICYMI, The Commanders had meetings with the following player at the Hula Bowl:

Joshua Cephus, WR, Texas-San Antonio

* ICYMI, The Commanders had meetings with the following player at the College Gridiron Showcase:

Dimitri Stanley, WR, Iowa State

There are more players that the Commanders met with at these two events and we'll have that published soon.  

Next, the focus shifts to the East-West Shrine Game and the Senior Bowl.  More prospects from these two events will be posted here starting next week.

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 2

I know with the no.2 pick and SH wasn’t your choice, I know it’s hard not to take a QB but really wish we had a chance to see what Ben could do with Sam. 
If he stays he can compete and we can still see what he can do with good coaching. He can turn into a backup or possible trade option for someone. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

26 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I know with the no.2 pick and SH wasn’t your choice, I know it’s hard not to take a QB but really wish we had a chance to see what Ben could do with Sam. 
If he stays he can compete and we can still see what he can do with good coaching. He can turn into a backup or possible trade option for someone. 

You know if we made a Bowers and Powers worthy top 3 picks I’d be really curious too see how Sam could handle that. Either way you got to draft competition there. Or sign it but that gets expensive. I’m not against picking Maye simply because his size and toolbox. The flaws and kinks I think can very well be worked out. And it’s hard focusing on a draft gameplan without a coaching staff and figuring out what we’re doin in FA with so many FA players leaving needing resigned. Also you don’t know how they’re gonna allocate FA dollars to upgrade the team because we need clear upgrades throughout the roster. So there scenarios where you can trade JA and get more draft capital but then that’s another big hole. Now you’d hope with redgeway and Mathis here developing that one of them could really improve and take over but neither have shown enough to date to ride with that. I think come the Combine once we have our staff cemented then we will have a better feel for what and who our future is going to look like. Plus ultimately we’re handcuffed to waiting too see what Chicago decides. So it’s still early. But there is cause for excitement. I just worry we’re going to take a QB just too take one and I hope that’s not the culture they are establishing. Hopefully there’s a real consensus with the player they pick and it’s the guy they would have taken 1 if they had that pick

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

You know if we made a Bowers and Powers worthy top 3 picks I’d be really curious too see how Sam could handle that. Either way you got to draft competition there. Or sign it but that gets expensive. I’m not against picking Maye simply because his size and toolbox. The flaws and kinks I think can very well be worked out. And it’s hard focusing on a draft gameplan without a coaching staff and figuring out what we’re doin in FA with so many FA players leaving needing resigned. Also you don’t know how they’re gonna allocate FA dollars to upgrade the team because we need clear upgrades throughout the roster. So there scenarios where you can trade JA and get more draft capital but then that’s another big hole. Now you’d hope with redgeway and Mathis here developing that one of them could really improve and take over but neither have shown enough to date to ride with that. I think come the Combine once we have our staff cemented then we will have a better feel for what and who our future is going to look like. Plus ultimately we’re handcuffed to waiting too see what Chicago decides. So it’s still early. But there is cause for excitement. I just worry we’re going to take a QB just too take one and I hope that’s not the culture they are establishing. Hopefully there’s a real consensus with the player they pick and it’s the guy they would have taken 1 if they had that pick

The no.2 pick is probably the most important draft pick for this new franchise for a long time, hope it’s the right one to move this franchise forward. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

The no.2 pick is probably the most important draft pick for this new franchise for a long time, hope it’s the right one to move this franchise forward. 

Same here brother same here!! I’ll be excited no matter what they do I just hope for once the results out preform the initial excitement

• Like 2

2: R1 P2 QB Drake Maye - UNC
36: R2 P4 G Jackson Powers-Johnson - Oregon
40: R2 P8 G Cooper Beebe - Kansas State
67: R3 P3 LB Junior Colson - Michigan
99: R3 P35 RB Bucky Irving - Oregon
102: R4 P2 CB Max Melton - Rutgers
140: R5 P4 TE Ben Sinnott - Kansas State
178: R6 P3 LB Power Echols - UNC
221: R7 P2 WR Dominic Lovett - Georgia
If we go QB with the 1st Pick, doubling up on OL I believe is the call to protect your multi million dollar investment and to get the cream of the crop to build the foundation especially where we are very weak. Would I love this draft for us. Throw in some FA’s and it would be a very nice start.
Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Can he play OL, MLB or TE?

Agree those are big needs, but I don’t think we need to be wedded to those positions at both R2 picks. Especially because there isn’t a MLB or TE that I’d be willing to take at the top of the 2nd round of this draft. 

I will say that I can’t help feeling like one of those picks has to be used on an OL, whether it’s a toolsy OT or one of the high-end IOLs. But that still leaves another pick that could be used on a receiver if we aren’t sold on Dotson as WR2 moving forward and can’t snag a top guy in FA.

I think Xavier Legette is going to be a big riser after the combine, and it feels like Keon Coleman is really dropping (pun sort of intended). I suspect one of those guys may actually be there for our R2 picks, and either one would give us the big-body type we’ve been lacking for a long time.

I think that’s especially that the case if the OTs fly off the board like we’re afraid they might. If the OTs are gone, there might be value still at WR (or DE).

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Agree those are big needs, but I don’t think we need to be wedded to those positions at both R2 picks. Especially because there isn’t a MLB or TE that I’d be willing to take at the top of the 2nd round of this draft. 

I will say that I can’t help feeling like one of those picks has to be used on an OL, whether it’s a toolsy OT or one of the high-end IOLs. But that still leaves another pick that could be used on a receiver if we aren’t sold on Dotson as WR2 moving forward and can’t snag a top guy in FA.

I think Xavier Legette is going to be a big riser after the combine, and it feels like Keon Coleman is really dropping (pun sort of intended). I suspect one of those guys may actually be there for our R2 picks, and either one would give us the big-body type we’ve been lacking for a long time.

I think that’s especially that the case if the OTs fly off the board like we’re afraid they might. If the OTs are gone, there might be value still at WR (or DE).

@e16bball I was watching him play and he’s seems great on 50/50 balls catching it at the apex but do you think he can create enough separation at the next level?

9 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

@e16bball I was watching him play and he’s seems great on 50/50 balls catching it at the apex but do you think he can create enough separation at the next level?

I’m not sure, honestly. But I know that two of the good NFL WRs I’ve been most wrong on have been DK Metcalf — who I think Legette compares to as a very fast, very physical, highly muscled, tight WR — and Tee Higgins, who reminds me of Coleman.

In both of those cases, it feels like I focused too much on my usual indicators (short area burst, fluid COD, nuanced route running) and didn’t give enough credit to the reality that some guys are so big and athletic that even in the NFL, they don’t need to separate that well. They can just frequently win it at the catch point, even against other pros.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1