laughable

3rivers

This isn’t an attack on you @3rivers but I stopped caring about “lists” and opinions like this so long ago. Who gives a damn that PFF thinks TJ Watt isn’t a top 10 edge rusher? Anyone with two eyes can see he’s a top 5 defensive player in the league at worse. It’s not worth getting riled up over stuff like this. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

This isn’t an attack on you @3rivers but I stopped caring about “lists” and opinions like this so long ago. Who gives a damn that PFF thinks TJ Watt isn’t a top 10 edge rusher? Anyone with two eyes can see he’s a top 5 defensive player in the league at worse. It’s not worth getting riled up over stuff like this. 

agree, lists can be lame. perhaps my point is that analytics are a bit misleading and then some.  I still think TJ will get 20+ sacks if healthy and be in the DPOY race. Hargrave made the list but I think I heard his name once in our game and perhaps twice in the rams game. 

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Its not the list that matters, its people using stats or talking about statistics as if they are an end all be all. They are a tool in a toolbox, not unlike a screwdriver or a  wrench in their part to build a house. I used those two tools for my example because they are hardly even the most important of the tools you would typically use to build a house but they have their useful moments. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

agree, lists can be lame. perhaps my point is that analytics are a bit misleading and then some.  I still think TJ will get 20+ sacks if healthy and be in the DPOY race. Hargrave made the list but I think I heard his name once in our game and perhaps twice in the rams game. 

I agree with Bigben07mvp. These lists mean little. I respect analytics and statistics, but they don't always tell the true story. Football also involves the eye test and your own gut feeling to some things as well. A healthy TJ Watt is a top five player in the NFL. Period! If he stays healthy, there is no limit on what Watt can do. His play is, has, and will more than speak to his ranking as one of the best. The rest is all opinions. We all have them. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, 3rivers said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-10-pass-rushers-micah-parsons-earns-top-marks-in-new-next-gen-stats-pressure

TJ didn't even make the top 10. I thought PFF was bad but this is next level

They'll do anything to make sure Watt is not the DPOY.

Micah said in a post game presser that in his mind he is the DPOY, he is the best Edge in the league.  Little does he know, he is a distant second.

• Like 1

Any pass rushing 'metric', that fails to take total sacks (4) and QB Hits (9), into account, for a larger % of its makeup is completely flawed, not to mention, take into account how many snaps the players are used in a Pass Defense capacity, rather than Pass Rush capacity.  Does it even take into account how many pass plays, vs run plays??  IDK--I didn't bother looking, because it's a joke.

The good thing is, these types of hyped-up stats tend to irk, thus motivate players that are snubbed, so I'd expect continued success from TJ Watt.

The bottom line is, all that matters, are results.  Come playoff time, nobody cares about teams that win, despite putrid offensive stats, etc.  All that matters is W vs L...and I guarantee you, if Watt continues to average 2 sacks and 4.5 QB hits per game, we are going to win more than lose, even despite Canada's incompetence. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 3:08 PM, 3rivers said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-10-pass-rushers-micah-parsons-earns-top-marks-in-new-next-gen-stats-pressure

TJ didn't even make the top 10. I thought PFF was bad but this is next level

Once Garrett with 1 tackle and 1 QB pressure ranked higher than 5 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT Highsmith, I totally ignore PFF.

• Like 1

It's not laughable, it's right there in the article:

The formula used to derive the composite scores includes data from the start of the 2022 season to better account for the small sample size from this season. As a result, a few notable pass rushers who missed significant time due to injury during the 2022 campaign -- such as NFL co-sack leader T.J. Watt -- are not featured below.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

It's not laughable, it's right there in the article:

Ah...Good point.  I just took the OPs point for granted, without going to look at the actual ranking.  TBH, Watt had a really down year last year.  Not blaming him, because it's always tough to take off 6-8 weeks, with little or no 'real practice' during the time--it takes time to get back into game shape.  But simply looking at stats, Watt's created more impact plays in 3 games, than he did in 10 games, last season.