Better Player: Kevin Durant V Stephen Curry

mdonnelly21

30 members have voted

1. 1. Better Player

• Stephen Curry
    • Kevin Durant

1.  Point guards are the easiest position in the NBA to find.

I don't even think of Curry as a PG. His shooting ability transcends the position. While I agree you can more easily find a better PG than a freak like Durant, the difference between Curry and Westbrook or Wall is still monumental. And replacing Curry with someone who's gonna dribble the ball a ton and wreck the spacing is gonna hamper that team big time.

15 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I don't even think of Curry as a PG. His shooting ability transcends the position. While I agree you can more easily find a better PG than a freak like Durant, the difference between Curry and Westbrook or Wall is still monumental. And replacing Curry with someone who's gonna dribble the ball a ton and wreck the spacing is gonna hamper that team big time.

Yeah, I think most ppl believe Curry is more valuable because the offense is totally built around his gravity. Curry wrecks a defense just by getting a screen. KD is a better scorer, but he's not the one creating the spacing. 

17 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Sure Curry is better off the dribble than KD probably and a better ball handler, but Durant is so much better at everything else, plays a more important position, and is able to do so much more I don't understand how Curry is more valuable in any way except potential economical parts of running a franchise.  If I were to start a franchise or had to have one of them retire and I'm the Warriors I'm running with KD without a seconds thought.

He’s more valuable because everything they do is built of Curry. It’s not hard to see. He creates the havoc. And you are selling Curry very short if you think there is some big gap between them as players or any for that matters

55 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

He’s more valuable because everything they do is built of Curry. It’s not hard to see. He creates the havoc. And you are selling Curry very short if you think there is some big gap between them as players or any for that matters

When have I argued against any of this? Kevin Durant to me is the NBA's 2nd best player, Curry is third. Obviously not a big gap. And the team being built around Curry is exactly why I said he's more valuable.

Easier to replace Curry? It would be damn near impossible to replace Curry. The Cavs in the finals still gave more attention to Curry than Durant. He was getting trapped and doubled on every pick and roll, and it allowed KD to play one on one where he is the best in the game. 

2 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Oh? Who else in the NBA is the greatest shooter of all time?

Forget being the greatest shooter ever, dude is that with great handles and able to create off the bounce. He completely changes the way defenses have to guard the Warriors, and is truly one of a kind. You can't replace him....like at all.

1 minute ago, tonyto36 said:

Durant ;)

But more seriously, there are a ton of quality PGs out there.  Getting a quality SF is a lot harder.

Yea, but you said REPLACE. Unless there's a comparable player you can't replace him. Adding a traditional PG to the Warriors will do 1 of2 things IMO, make that PG play a totally different game or totally change the complexion of the Warriors, none of which I'd wager would do anything better for that team.

Curry is as hard to *replace* as Durant or LeBron. There's nobody out there like him.

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Easier to replace Curry? It would be damn near impossible to replace Curry. The Cavs in the finals still gave more attention to Curry than Durant. He was getting trapped and doubled on every pick and roll, and it allowed KD to play one on one where he is the best in the game. 

bingo...

25 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

When have I argued against any of this? Kevin Durant to me is the NBA's 2nd best player, Curry is third. Obviously not a big gap. And the team being built around Curry is exactly why I said he's more valuable.

Nah my bad I thought I was meant to quote the other guy, not you

36 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

3.  The Warriors would pick Durant over Curry if one of them had to go this offseason, because it'd be easier to replace Curry.

The same gravity and floor spacing Curry provides, Durant does just as much or better because he can shoot over half the league like they aren't there.

Wrong and wrong.

26 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Durant ;)

But more seriously, there are a ton of quality PGs out there.  Getting a quality SF is a lot harder.

That’s a very simplistic way to look at it, it totally disregards the skill level that these players bring. Comparing Curry to just any other PG is pretty much void. He’s a one of a kind. He’s the most impactful player in basketball.

1 minute ago, tonyto36 said:

Harden, CP3, Kyrie, heck even Jeff Teague can approximate what Curry does.  There are a lot of guys who can shoot 3s off the dribble at high level (not Currys level).   There is no one in the NBA that comes remotely close to what Durant offers on offense and only Kawhi is better on defense.

You're talking about fan-opinions, financial reasons, and non-basketball reasons.

Durant is the player you want if you want to win.

No he's not.  Harden is not quite the shooter Curry is, but is better at attacking the rim.  That's already one approximate equal.  There are plenty of PGs who, while worse than Curry are relatively close.  There is not a single SF or wing in the NBA that is close to Durant.  A 7 footer who is arguably the best scorer ever and plays all nba defense.  Who are the closest comparables?  Lebron?  His shooting has caught up a bit, but he doesn't have the full scoring game that Durant has and can't play defense for a full game anymore.  Kawhi?  Light years behind on offense.

I'm talking about organizational culture which is 100% a basketball reason and a reason for winning. 

I'm not really arguing that Curry > Durant, I'm just pointing out that you're severely undervaluing Curry as a player and his impact on his team, and the fact that getting someone who is good at playing PG doesn't even begin to replace a player who you must contest 30 ft away  (and above really lol) from the rim.

Archived