Week 3 GDT: Lamar and Backups vs. a really good college team from Indianapolis

AFlaccoSeagulls

Lamar was double clutching the ball the entire game, and that led to him taking sacks and missing throws late across the middle. Same thing that showed up in Miami a few years ago.

We had the ball at midfield TWICE in overtime and couldn’t get 10 yards either time. That’s disgusting and starts with the QB. That being said he did make the throw at the end and Likely dropped it, and then the refs missed the most obvious DPI of the year. Comedy of errors to end the game

• Like 1

And sorry but today wasn’t an “oh well” type of loss. Contrary to the “we just need to get in the playoffs who cares after that” opinion, losing the chance to go to 3-0 and 3-0 in the AFC is a big deal. Look up how many of the last 10-15 SB Champs didn’t have a bye. Your seeding is a big deal in the NFL playoffs. The bye is a big deal. And we had a chance to go to 3-0 against a colts team without Jonathan Taylor at home and couldn’t do it.

Colossal failure on every level. HC, QB, everyone.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Lamar was double clutching the ball the entire game, and that led to him taking sacks and missing throws late across the middle. Same thing that showed up in Miami a few years ago.

We had the ball at midfield TWICE in overtime and couldn’t get 10 yards either time. That’s disgusting and starts with the QB. That being said he did make the throw at the end and Likely dropped it, and then the refs missed the most obvious DPI of the year. Comedy of errors to end the game

And there were fumbles. A drive killing bad snap. Backup offensive lineman looking like backup offensive lineman. And poor clock management from coaches. And Tucker missed a shot to come through, while the OTHER kicker had a historic day. And us not getting our hands on a turnover on D. Oh, and more injuries. Our edge position is hilarious.

Like everything that could go wrong went wrong. There isn't really a single thing you can point to as THE issue.

• Like 2

I don't expect a team still learning a new offense, missing 15+ starters, and in non ideal weather conditions to win 70-0............ but this wasn't acceptable. 

- Lamar wasn't sharp and continues to take pointless sacks. His bravery in the pocket leads to big plays, but sometimes he's just far too numb to pressure while expecting something to materialize. 

- Execution remains a serious issue, and we should've won the game in regulation. Coaching was horrendous.

- Monken fell into the Ravens trap game script that has painted the Harbaugh era where he went way too conservative early and allowed the Colts easy reads.

- Refs made the conscious decision to give the Colts the game. Ravens shouldn't have afforded the sub 80 IQ dopes whose life goal was to blow(or not blow) a whistle that opportunity. 

- More injuries, who could've guess it?........

There's too much to single out, it's one of those games you just have to forget and move on.

Shout out to Kyle Hamilton who had a big day.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

And there were fumbles. A drive killing bad snap. Backup offensive lineman looking like backup offensive lineman. And poor clock management from coaches. And Tucker missed a shot to come through, while the OTHER kicker had a historic day. And us not getting our hands on a turnover on D. Oh, and more injuries. Our edge position is hilarious.

Like everything that could go wrong went wrong. There isn't really a single thing you can point to as THE issue.

Wasted a superhuman performance from Kyle Hamilton

• Like 1

Final thoughts on the game:

The good:

• Kyle Hamilton - a potential historic effort from a safety completely goes to waste in a loss. Dude was everywhere today.
  • Lamar, rushing - Looked electric with his legs and made play after play.
  • Jordan Stout - he's officially figured out how to punt again, yay!

The bad:

• The run game, outside of Lamar - I don't think we're going to crack the top 15 in YPC for RB's this year. It's really, really bad.
  • Lamar, throwing, and well anything outside of running? - The ball security issues, the double pumping, the lack of accuracy, the lack of awareness. Holy crap. I've never seen a guy miss so many wide open easy 5  yard throws as Lamar does. How does he make everything throwing look so difficult sometimes? I don't get it.
  • Justin Tucker - Short from 61? Are we actually starting to see his leg start to decline?
  • Patrick Mekari - So we've determined taht any speed rusher can just obliterate him all game long, so that's fun.

The ugly:

• Clock management - Who told Flowers to fair catch a goddamn punt?! What was the play calling in OT never giving Lamar a designed run? It was all so terrible.
  • Coaching - yeah kind of goes to the above. Harbaugh got out coached and some of those decisions were numbingly stupid.
  • Turnovers/fumbles - HOLD ONTO THE DAMN BALL!
  • Injuries - we just continue to pile up injuries to our starters. It's beyond explanation.

I don't think this is a "oh well" type of loss. We just lost to a 4-win team, at most. Playing with their backup QB, backup RB, bottom 5 defense, and we just **** all over ourselves. You cannot afford these types of losses in the AFC at the moment. Just embarassing.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

And sorry but today wasn’t an “oh well” type of loss. Contrary to the “we just need to get in the playoffs who cares after that” opinion, losing the chance to go to 3-0 and 3-0 in the AFC is a big deal. Look up how many of the last 10-15 SB Champs didn’t have a bye.

There's only 1 bye now. Never worked out well for the Ravens. Also honestly, it is not fun for me to watch an entire regular season with bye/no-bye being the benchmark. That's too narrow a window to thread for any team.

Playoff are an accomplishment and will give us a chance to do something special, if we can get there.

Edited by wackywabbit

9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The bad:

• The run game, outside of Lamar - I don't think we're going to crack the top 15 in YPC for RB's this year. It's really, really bad.
  • Lamar, throwing, and well anything outside of running? - The ball security issues, the double pumping, the lack of accuracy, the lack of awareness. Holy crap. I've never seen a guy miss so many wide open easy 5  yard throws as Lamar does. How does he make everything throwing look so difficult sometimes? I don't get it.

Curious how many of these (misses on wide open 5 yard throws) do you think Lamar has had so far this year? I doubt it is more than 3.

Lamar being loose with the ball and holding the ball when he shouldn't are criticisms that I think are very valid this year. His accuracy has been good IMO. 

13 minutes ago, Nobellythrower said:

how did zach moss get 100+ yards 

Our DL is solid at best. I said it in another thread this week but we don’t have “the” guy anywhere on the DL. Washington, Jones, and Madubuike are all the definition of average NFL defensive linemen at this point.

7 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Curious how many of these (misses on wide open 5 yard throws) do you think Lamar has had so far this year? I doubt it is more than 3.

Lamar being loose with the ball and holding the ball when he shouldn't are criticisms that I think are very valid this year. His accuracy has been good IMO. 

Idk but this game alone it was 3. Two(?) to Flowers, one to Drake, and those are just the ones I remember from this week.

But furthermore, it is so obvious that he is not comfortable against teams that blitz or run cover 0. Everything speeds up, his mechanics go to crap, his accuracy becomes awful and he just tries to quickly throw something off-schedule.