Week 3 GDT: Lamar and Backups vs. a really good college team from Indianapolis

AFlaccoSeagulls

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Idk but this game alone it was 3. Two(?) to Flowers, one to Drake, and those are just the ones I remember from this week.

You are remembering more than what happened. Only two incompletes on targets to Zay and one would have been complete if he wasn't tackled. Yes, the other was the one really bad throw from Lamar this game. One incomplete target to Drake, that I don't remember, but I could look up.

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

If I were to watch the second half of this game, I would have assumed the OC and DC were Greg Roman and Wink. 

The defense was fine. More than fine at the end of the game. They got off the field twice in OT…once a 3 and out and once a turnover on downs. The only reason they gave up the game losing score is because our offense couldn’t get 10 yards on two different occasions in OT.

3 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

You are remembering more than what happened. Only two incompletes on targets to Zay and one would have been complete if he wasn't tackled. Yes, the other was the one really bad throw from Lamar this game. One incomplete target to Drake, that I don't remember, but I could look up.

The one to drake was Lamar panicking and trying to throw to him as a checkdown but he threw it well behind Drake. It was maybe a 2 yard pass.

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

The defense was fine. More than fine at the end of the game. They got off the field twice in OT…once a 3 and out and once a turnover on downs. The only reason they gave up the game losing score is because our offense couldn’t get 10 yards on two different occasions in OT.

It was fine, but it is curious how for any Harbaugh D, regardless of who is the DC, Harbaugh automatically resorts to big blitzes on 3rd down late in the game. It's why teams will run WR screen and convert with ease in those scenarios. Very easy to predict and plan for. 

Also the run D was leaky, especially holding the edge. Moss with 122 yards is not good. 

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The one to drake was Lamar panicking and trying to throw to him as a checkdown but he threw it well behind Drake. It was maybe a 2 yard pass.

Found the incomplete: first play of the last drive of the game. It looks like Jackson may have expected Drake to sit for the check down and Drake cut and ran inside. Doesn't look like he was intending to throw it where Drake is running. But I can't be sure with that.

Edit: Actually immediately after the play Lamar is shaking his head and goes directly to say something to Drake who taps him on the helmet. I am convinced that^ is what happened.

Edited by wackywabbit

16 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

It was fine, but it is curious how for any Harbaugh D, regardless of who is the DC, Harbaugh automatically resorts to big blitzes on 3rd down late in the game. It's why teams will run WR screen and convert with ease in those scenarios. Very easy to predict and plan for. 

Also the run D was leaky, especially holding the edge. Moss with 122 yards is not good. 

I mean, it worked, did it not? In the biggest moments of the game the defense got off the field playing that way. Twice lol. They gave up 19 points in regulation while losing the TO battle 2-0 including our offense turning it over inside our red zone.

The defense gave up like one play on the final 3-5 series of the game (cough Brandon Stephen cough), and gave up 9 points in the 2nd half. What they did on defense was plenty enough to win the game today.

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

I mean, it worked, did it not? In the biggest moments of the game the defense got off the field playing that way. Twice lol. They gave up 19 points in regulation while losing the TO battle 2-0 including our offense turning it over inside our red zone.

The defense gave up like one play on the final 3-5 series of the game (cough Brandon Stephen cough), and gave up 9 points in the 2nd half. What they did on defense was plenty enough to win the game today.

I'm not sure we can say it "worked" when we lost. Overall it was a good statistical performance, but the Colts were playing conservatively with their backup QB and RB. 0 Turnovers hurts on a day when we turn it over 2x. When the Colts had to move the ball to win the game, they did. 

Also, maybe I'm lumping the special teams coverage units in with the D, which is unfair. Punt coverage was garbage. 

Just now, AngusMcFife said:

I'm not sure we can say it "worked" when we lost. Overall it was a good statistical performance, but the Colts were playing conservatively with their backup QB and RB. 0 Turnovers hurts on a day when we turn it over 2x. When the Colts had to move the ball to win the game, they did. 

Also, maybe I'm lumping the special teams coverage units in with the D, which is unfair. Punt coverage was garbage. 

Disagree. They had to move the ball to win the game on the first drive in OT, and we forced a 3 and out. They then had to move the ball to win the game on the 2nd drive, and we stopped them on downs. This was a defense missing several starters and they got stop after stop in the biggest moments of the game. 

This was entirely on the offense. They pissed down their leg in the defining 2 drives of the game after the defense did their job and got the offense to that point.

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

Disagree. They had to move the ball to win the game on the first drive in OT, and we forced a 3 and out. They then had to move the ball to win the game on the 2nd drive, and we stopped them on downs. This was a defense missing several starters and they got stop after stop in the biggest moments of the game. 

This was entirely on the offense. They pissed down their leg in the defining 2 drives of the game after the defense did their job and got the offense to that point.

I agree the offense is the main culprit. My original comment was not blaming the D but just noting how much it resembled Wink's D, which I am very glad they moved away from. But it can be effective at times. I just prefer disguising coverage in ways that don't require jamming up all the defenders on the LOS. 

• Like 1