GB's and Jerry Straps: Dallas at Phoenix

HDsportsfan

Scott Kacsmar had an interesting stat pull on this game- Dallas had 6 drives burn at least 4:20 off the clock yesterday while AZ’s longest drive lasted just 4:17.

This reads like an offense that’s “working” as intended, but not succeeding. We averaged 5.5 yards per play to 7.5 for AZ. Trying to grind games out and not expose our QB probably won’t lead to victory against the best teams in the league if it doesn’t against the worst.

None of this is to excuse the defense- horrid performance by them. But right now the offense is playing a style of football that necessitates they play at more or less an elite level

Gameball for me, easily easily EASILY goes to Zach Martin.

Because even though he didn't play, he showed how important he is to the teams success.

Jockstraps: I'll give two here ..

First and foremost, Micah Parsons. Where was the motor he is known for? We see it for two games and then we see a bunch of sloppy play with no finish? Ok sure, he got a sack. But he was out of position on several big runs, engaged blockers and stopped driving through them, and his speed that makes him so formidable looked like he was playing in practice mode, going half speed or 60%. Love the player, but you can't go half-assing it just because you have two huge showings in a row. Complacency?

The other goes to Mike McCarthy. Why was he so quick to get away from the gameplan? Simplicity was the foundation upon which this "Texas toast" offense was built upon. But right out of the gate I see safety-split deep shot attempts against clear blitz packages. I see inexperienced guards pulling across the formation for a wide angle run where the right end never comes back to trap the inside defender. I see no Hi-Lo concepts with a moving pocket designed to isolate Dak's reads to a single side of the field. I see no Turpin screen packages, no receivers running routes designed to screen a DB out of the short pass play. 

No, instead what I see is Kellen Moore with about 150 pounds more weight and 10 years more experience, running the same air raid new age gunslinger crap that has Dak throw 15 picks in 12 games and had this team continually come up short when it mattered most. There is a reason the simple offenses win rings and the complex ones win records. Herbert can throw for his 45 scores and 5500 yards and always be stuck in Marino-mode. This team has had enough of that. This team needs to go deep into January and play for keeps.

And it's proven it cannot do that playing a version of the air raid offense with concepts designed to attack the safeties. Not with this QB, and not with these receivers. 

This offense needs to key in on those simple tasks and just deadly at their 4, 6, 3, 2, 6 yard gains all the way up the field. 

And know what, let's throw in another jock strap.

Dan Quinn. You going to tell me one piece of your defense goes down and you can't stop DOBBS from ripping it up like wet toilet paper? Come on, man. I get the drop off from Diggs to Bland is pretty big. So switch up the coverages and don't leave your aging Gilmore and developing youngster isolated like that. Can't stop the run? Well stop having Micah play on the end and let him hunt ballcarriers from the Mike like he was originally drafted to do. LVE can't avoid biting on the fake? Get him off the field and let someone else try.

All in all just a terrible game. But I don't think this is by any means a story of the teams season, either.

GB-  your kidding right

HM -  guess the kicker didn’t miss and all kicks out of end zone

JS - everyone else special shout out to our D which despite the talk coming in seemed to think their rep was enough to win games in the NFL. Coaches for loosing focus and not really helping the players.  All these penalties.  Would love to have seen the Lamp PI call….  And compare to the PI picked up late in game 

just another shout out.  O first drive of the game we trailed by three….  This was the only time the O had the ball and team wasn’t behind by two scores. (I count 8 as two scores)