2023 GDT 2-1 Steelers visit 1-2 Texans

Steeler Hitman

2023 Week #4 Who Ya Got This Week?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Steelers continue to improve on offense and find a way to win in Houston?

• Yes. Pickett and Canada take another step forward.
    • No. Typical big-headed Steelers who think they are all that and get humiliated and lose.
    • Tie. No satisfaction. Like kissing your great granny.

Texans-at-Steelers-575x323.jpg

Steelers visit the Texans

6628826_texans-empty-stadium-AP-TN-img.j

NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas Sunday, October 1, 2023, at 1 pm EST

All-Time Series Record: Steelers lead the series 5-2. The last meeting was a victory in September 2020 over DeShawn Watson and the Texans 28-21.

Nick-Chubb-Browns-T.J.-Watt-Alex-Highsmi

The Steelers will be looking to introduce CJ Stroud and company to Mr.Watt and Mr. Highsmith. 

14319788021972.jpg?resize=1024

That's TJ and Alex if you're nasty!

cj-stroud.jpg

The Texans OL will counter with trying to establish the run and exploit a suspect, but opportunistic Steelers secondary.

wallace-steelers-raiders-640x396.jpg

The Keys to a Steelers victory.....488a5c22ca3bdf1697956f1cb8d08967.jpg

1. Establish the run. Nothing new here, but the Steelers are not moving defenders or playing smash-mouth more than they are getting smashed in the run game. Time for the OL to start beating some big DLs up at the point of attack.

o-PUNCH-FACE-SWEAT-facebook.jpg

2. Jump them if you have to. Nothing like the double team. Najee and Jalen have seen more opposing jerseys around them than blockers. Reverse that trend. Start doubling up on DLs and continue gang tackling on defense.

Omega-Wolf-Attacked-Wolfpack.jpg

3. Continue to let the offense gain some confidence. Move Pickett in the pocket and throw downfield to Pat, Austin, and Pickens. By the way, we also have good targets in Connor Heyward and Mt. Washington.

907c6a578f98d48a37a78242605b4917

4. Utilize the offensive 1-2 punch in the run game. Both Najee and Jalen have different skill sets but both need room to run. Open some holes and hold some blocks. Kind of piggy-backing on #2, but these guys have had nowhere to run to. Get them some room to move.

SteelersCamp_2022_JaylenWarren30_NajeeHa

5. Don't get cocky and don't be stupid. The Steelers are not good enough for this to be called a trap game. The Texans put up 37 points on a playoff contender in the Jacksonville Jaguars.  They played tough against the Ravens and were a few plays off there. They can do the same with a sputtering Steelers offense and a suspect secondary. The Steelers lost two games to the Texans in the past by taking them lightly. Don't make that mistake a third time. 

1oxsnx.jpg

Predictions for the game.

Science-Predictions_v01.jpg?itok=nzDNENp

Like the Steelers, the Texans are looking to find continued success from a win. They have been competitive in both losses to the Ravens and Colts.  If the Steelers start slow, make mistakes, and allow them to get up early, they can easily lose this game.  We have all seen this before.

I don't expect the number of turnovers from the Texans as I think they will do all they can to protect the ball on offense and make the Steelers' offense drive and be methodical. The Steelers have had problems doing that consistently through three games. No secret to beating the Steelers. Make Pickett and the offense beat you and don't turn the ball over to make it easy.  That will be the game plan for the Texans' defense.  

I think the Texans are competitive and better than they may be getting credit for with a rookie QB and a future star Edge.  If the Steelers get up early, they can build some confidence and do some things to take the Texans out of their game plan and pressure Stroud into sacks and potential ints. Things rarely go perfectly the way you script them unless you are the 49ers beating up on the Steelers.😁 

I see the Texans fighting hard, but the Steelers finding a way to hold on or come back 24-16. 

Feels like we are going to have no idea who we actually are going into the bye. Two really tough defenses where we looked like the worst team ever. Two bad defenses where we will look better, but probably not good. And then a Ravens team in which you can throw everything out the window with when those two teams play. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Kendal Green will start for center for the Texans week 4.

I thought they were starting Patterson there at Center, is he hurt or was I just looking at wrong depth charts?

I didnt try to look for him on the tape, kind of like Tomlin said today.

Edited by JustPlainNasty

30 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/steelers-punter-injured-after-historic-game/ar-AA1hif68

if Harvin is out  who do we go sign?  Is that long distance  punter that got falsly accused  still available? 

Never understood why Corliss Waitmann cant catch on anywhere, including with Pittsburgh. 

• Like 2

Just now, JustPlainNasty said:

Never understood why Corliss Waitmann cant catch on anywhere, including with Pittsburgh. 

Me either. The guy has done well considering the circumstances. I get he may not be 1 A, but he certainly punted better than Harvin during his replacement stint here. He should be a strong consideration if Percy is truly hurt.

• Like 1

My initial thoughts on this game will be that it will be low scoring. I could see a 17-10 type win. I believe we should be 7 points better at least and if we are rolling 10-17 points better. Unfortunately I dont have faith in our running game yet and thus not the kind of faith i would like in the offense. 

Our offense is a chicken or the egg conversation in regards to questioning the running game or the passing game. I believe it starts with our run blocking issues. Im not even worried about outscheming or tricking a team when we struggle to put a hat on a hat or the right hats on the right hats. Until that basic thing is established everything else will struggle. When you can start to do that with some regularity then everything else should evolve from there, then if it doesnt you can start picking at everything else. Show me some 4 or 5 yard runs with regularity. We should've been able to line up 3 times in a row at the end of that Raiders game and told them we were running the ball and said stop us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Show me some 4 or 5 yard runs with regularity. We should've been able to line up 3 times in a row at the end of that Raiders game and told them we were running the ball and said stop us. 

That's what I am talking about. We have not imposed our will in the run game thus far. Opposing IDLs have been beating up on our IOL regularly.

1 minute ago, Steeler Hitman said:

That's what I am talking about. We have not imposed our will in the run game thus far. Opposing IDLs have been beating up on our IOL regularly.

Cole is up and down for sure. First series first play I believe he was driven right back into Kennys lap on skates. He wasnt ready for that heat thats for sure. He adjusted but had a up and down day from what i could notice. 

Pouncey was often not what everyone made him out to be in as far as giving up ground as well, but he had other assets like his mobility that made up for those times and created value. Cole doesnt exactly provide that and not doing great on pulls etc either. I still think hes a nice player and good for the team, but it is one of the issues we are having thus far that stands out. 

Bigger concern I have this week is James Daniels health. I think Daniels is probably under appreciated 

• Like 1