Rank the 32 Starters at QB

Tank4Drake

Always a controversial thread, but always a fun thread. 

The Clear Best:

1. Patrick Mahomes

The Elites:

2. Tua Tagovailoa

3. Joe Burrow

4. Josh Allen

5. Justin Herbert

The Really Good:

6. Jalen Hurts

7. Lamar Jackson

8. Trevor Lawrence

9. Kirk Cousins

Good QB's:

10. Brock Purdy

11. Deshaun Watson

12. Jared Goff

13. Dak Prescott

14. Matt Stafford

15. Geno Smith

16. Jordan Love

Average QB's: 

17. Derek Carr

18. CJ Stroud

19. Russell Wilson

20. Baker Mayfield

Below-Average QB's: 

21. Mac Jones

22. Anthony Richardson

23. Bryce Young

Bad QB's:

24. Daniel Jones

25. Jimmy Garoppolo

26. Kenny Pickett

27. Justin Fields

28. Sam Howell

29. Desmond Ridder

30. Ryan Tannehil

Terrible QB's:

31. Joshua Dobbs

32. Zach Wilson

Notes on Most Controversial Rankings:

- Tua at #2 might seem high but I'm not afraid to go against the grain. I've always had him and Burrow as generational talents and neck and neck with each other. I'm glad Tua finally has the talent and coaching to dominate the league. One of the smartest, most accurate, and best instincts in the league. He was my MVP pick before the season. 

- It's hard ranking first year starters like Love, Richardson, Young, Stroud, etc... so don't look too much into their rankings or over-think it. They should climb up a lot. The way Love and Stroud are playing, they could be Top 10 in no time. And Young and Richardson haven't looked terrible. 

- Tannehil at 30? Yeah. Sorry, he's washed. 

- 24 might seem low on Daniel Jones but I've never thought he's a good QB. Last year was Daboll's scheme making him look ok. Now teams have tape on Jones in that scheme. 

- 26 might seem low for Pickett, he could climb.

- 10 and 11 might seem high for Purdy and Watson, but Purdy has been balling every game. He's what, 11-0 in starts now that he has played start to finish with no injury? And looks great while playing. As for Deshaun, he hasn't looked that good, but I still think he's a better QB than Dak, Goff, Stafford... but if Watson doesn't start doing better, he can easily slide down this list. 

- Obviously this is not Power Rankings based off the season. Otherwise I'd have Love and Stroud Top 10 and Burrow Bottom 10. This is who I think are currently the best QB's in the NFL. 

• Like 2

Mahomes Tier:
1. Patrick Mahomes

Elite:
2. Tua Tagovailoa
3. Justin Herbert
4. Josh Allen
5. Jalen Hurts
6. Lamar Jackson
7. Joe Burrow(I fully expect him to rise back up once he's healthy, but hard to rank him any higher right now when he's playing like one of the worst QBs in the league)

Good:
8. Kirk Cousins
9. Trevor Lawrence
10. Jared Goff
11. Dak Prescott
12. Geno Smith
13. Matthew Stafford
14. Brock Purdy
15. CJ Stroud(I know it's very early but hard to discount what he's been able to accomplish so far)
16. Jordan Love

Mediocre:
17. Derek Carr
18. Jimmy Garoppolo
19. Mac Jones
20. Baker Mayfield
21. Russell Wilson
22. Joshua Dobbs(the counting stats don't pop out, but he's been pretty impressive so far on what should be a bad Cardinals team. Might be this year's Geno Smith, though probably not with his ceiling)
23. Daniel Jones
24. Kenny Pickett

Bad:
25. Anthony Richardson(higher than I thought he'd be this early, to be honest)
26. Desmond Ridder
27. Sam Howell(last week was a massive fall back to earth)
28. Bryce Young(I fully expect him to move up)
29. Deshaun Watson(if he has more games like last week he could move up pretty quickly)
30. Ryan Tannehill

Terrible:
31. Justin Fields
32. Zach Wilson(at least Fields is really fast?)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Mahomes Tier:
1. Patrick Mahomes

Elite:
2. Tua Tagovailoa
3. Justin Herbert
4. Josh Allen
5. Jalen Hurts
6. Lamar Jackson
7. Joe Burrow(I fully expect him to rise back up once he's healthy, but hard to rank him any higher right now when he's playing like one of the worst QBs in the league)

Good:
8. Kirk Cousins
9. Trevor Lawrence
10. Jared Goff
11. Dak Prescott
12. Geno Smith
13. Matthew Stafford
14. Brock Purdy
15. CJ Stroud(I know it's very early but hard to discount what he's been able to accomplish so far)
16. Jordan Love

Mediocre:
17. Derek Carr
18. Jimmy Garoppolo
19. Mac Jones
20. Baker Mayfield
21. Russell Wilson
22. Joshua Dobbs(the counting stats don't pop out, but he's been pretty impressive so far on what should be a bad Cardinals team. Might be this year's Geno Smith, though probably not with his ceiling)
23. Daniel Jones
24. Kenny Pickett

Bad:
25. Anthony Richardson(higher than I thought he'd be this early, to be honest)
26. Desmond Ridder
27. Sam Howell(last week was a massive fall back to earth)
28. Bryce Young(I fully expect him to move up)
29. Deshaun Watson(if he has more games like last week he could move up pretty quickly)
30. Ryan Tannehill

Terrible:
31. Justin Fields
32. Zach Wilson(at least Fields is really fast?)

Absolutely dig it and solid list. Only thing I can’t agree is with Watson. No way he’s been 29th level QB bad, not even close lol. Feel there is some  bias going on there for obvious reasons….

8 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Absolutely dig it and solid list. Only thing I can’t agree is with Watson. No way he’s been 29th level QB bad, not even close lol. Feel there is some  bias going on there for obvious reasons….

I'll admit I do have my bias, but I'd definitely say he was among the worst QBs in the league during his first two starts. Now, if the Titans game is him regaining his form rather than a fluke, as I said he'll be moving up pretty quickly, but I'll need at least another game of this

I assume you have a heavy factor on this season. I'll go with more of a general ranking and not overweigh the first few weeks of this season.

The Clear Best:

1. Patrick Mahomes (the most dynamic playmaker at the position, laser arm, everybody knows)

The Elites:

2. Joe Burrow (best at reading defenses, most accurate, poor pocket presence at times, and benefits from top 3-5 WR corps)

3. Justin Herbert (Best physical tools in the league with a computer for a brain; can be inconsistent and needs to be more aggressive and step on teams throats)

4. Josh Allen (Brett Favre on Steroids riding a Harley)

The Really Good:

5. Lamar Jackson (Best running QB in the NFL, insanely fast, not a top arm talent but has underrated accuracy; had to deal with somewhat poor coaching and playcalling the past few years as well as injury issues)

6. Jalen Hurts (One of the best leaders in the league and brings solid accuracy; has lackluster arm talent for a top guy and has only thrived with elite WRs and OL so far)

7. Tua Tagovailoa (makes up for arm strength with great timing and accuracy; on track to possibly be elite soon, but greatly benefits from great scheme and insane team speed)

8. Trevor Lawrence (the Prince who was promised; had a great stretch in the back half of 2022 but has yet to sustain great play. Has great intangibles and physical tools however)

Good QB's:

9. Dak Prescott (overrated by Cowboys fans and underrated by everybody else, Has a general solid game with no huge strengths but no glaring weaknesses)

10. Kirk Cousins (The Mac Jones of Justin Herberts; Cousins is a standard statue with good accuracy who often gets let down by defense and/or coaching)

11. Matt Stafford (Crafty vet who used to rely on Arm talent but is now suffering from age; still a solid processor and can dice up a defense)

12. Geno Smith (The comeback story nobody expected, he's a gunslinger who is surprisingly capable of making some elite throws)

Above Average QB's: 

13. Jared Goff (Mid but acceptable, Goff is a solid field general for a team who doesn't ask its Qb to do a whole lot)

14. Jordan Love (showed poise throughout all the Rodgers drama, has a strong arm and mental fortitude; could easily be top 10 by the end of the year)

15. Russell Wilson (a shadow of his former self, Russ still has enough ingredients to cook up a light supper)

16. Derek Carr (The absolute worst QB you could still feasibly win a SB with since 2018)

Average QB's: 

17. CJ Stroud (Surprisingly the best QB from this draft class at this point. I got this guy dead wrong! (so far))

18. Baker Mayfield (let baker bake.)

19. Daniel Jones (Mid as hell but doesn't turn the ball over anymore and can move a bit. It's not his fault the Giants are a dumpster fire)

20. Brock Purdy (this ranking was based purely off of who I think could still go to the NFC Championship or Super Bowl with the 49ers)

Below-Average QB's: 

21. Anthony Richardson (Raw as sushi but the potential is through the roof; needs to take fewer hits)

22. Ryan Tannehill (derrick henry merchant)

23. Mac Jones (Tom Brady if Tom Brady was only as good as Colt McCoy)

24. Bryce Young (didn't drink enough milk as a kid)

Bad QB's:

25. Justin Fields (the biggest gap between Fantasy Football good and real football good in NFL history)

26. Deshaun Watson (as bad at football since being traded to the Browns as he was at respecting women before he got traded to the Browns)

27. Kenny Pickett (his name literally instructs the defense what to do, how could he be good?)

28. Sam Howell (cheeks until further notice; possibly not cheeks)

Terrible QB's:

29. Jimmy Garoppolo (The 2 word response for anybody who says Kyle Shanahan isn't an offensive wizard)

30. Joshua Dobbs (better at rocket science than football, thankfully)

31. Desmond Ridder (Russell Wilson if he was as good as Zach Wilson)

32. Zach Wilson (Trey Lance if he was as good as Josh Rosen)

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

I assume you have a heavy factor on this season. I'll go with more of a general ranking and not overweigh the first few weeks of this season.

The Clear Best:

1. Patrick Mahomes (the most dynamic playmaker at the position, laser arm, everybody knows)

The Elites:

2. Joe Burrow (best at reading defenses, most accurate, poor pocket presence at times, and benefits from top 3-5 WR corps)

3. Justin Herbert (Best physical tools in the league with a computer for a brain; can be inconsistent and needs to be more aggressive and step on teams throats)

4. Josh Allen (Brett Favre on Steroids riding a Harley)

The Really Good:

5. Lamar Jackson (Best running QB in the NFL, insanely fast, not a top arm talent but has underrated accuracy; had to deal with somewhat poor coaching and playcalling the past few years as well as injury issues)

6. Jalen Hurts (One of the best leaders in the league and brings solid accuracy; has lackluster arm talent for a top guy and has only thrived with elite WRs and OL so far)

7. Tua Tagovailoa (makes up for arm strength with great timing and accuracy; on track to possibly be elite soon, but greatly benefits from great scheme and insane team speed)

8. Trevor Lawrence (the Prince who was promised; had a great stretch in the back half of 2022 but has yet to sustain great play. Has great intangibles and physical tools however)

Good QB's:

9. Dak Prescott (overrated by Cowboys fans and underrated by everybody else, Has a general solid game with no huge strengths but no glaring weaknesses)

10. Kirk Cousins (The Mac Jones of Justin Herberts; Cousins is a standard statue with good accuracy who often gets let down by defense and/or coaching)

11. Matt Stafford (Crafty vet who used to rely on Arm talent but is now suffering from age; still a solid processor and can dice up a defense)

12. Geno Smith (The comeback story nobody expected, he's a gunslinger who is surprisingly capable of making some elite throws)

Above Average QB's: 

13. Jared Goff (Mid but acceptable, Goff is a solid field general for a team who doesn't ask its Qb to do a whole lot)

14. Jordan Love (showed poise throughout all the Rodgers drama, has a strong arm and mental fortitude; could easily be top 10 by the end of the year)

15. Russell Wilson (a shadow of his former self, Russ still has enough ingredients to cook up a light supper)

16. Derek Carr (The absolute worst QB you could still feasibly win a SB with since 2018)

Average QB's: 

17. CJ Stroud (Surprisingly the best QB from this draft class at this point. I got this guy dead wrong! (so far))

18. Baker Mayfield (let baker bake.)

19. Daniel Jones (Mid as hell but doesn't turn the ball over anymore and can move a bit. It's not his fault the Giants are a dumpster fire)

20. Brock Purdy (this ranking was based purely off of who I think could still go to the NFC Championship or Super Bowl with the 49ers)

Below-Average QB's: 

21. Anthony Richardson (Raw as sushi but the potential is through the roof; needs to take fewer hits)

22. Ryan Tannehill (derrick henry merchant)

23. Mac Jones (Tom Brady if Tom Brady was only as good as Colt McCoy)

24. Bryce Young (didn't drink enough milk as a kid)

Bad QB's:

25. Justin Fields (the biggest gap between Fantasy Football good and real football good in NFL history)

26. Deshaun Watson (as bad at football since being traded to the Browns as he was at respecting women before he got traded to the Browns)

27. Kenny Pickett (his name literally instructs the defense what to do, how could he be good?)

28. Sam Howell (cheeks until further notice; possibly not cheeks)

Terrible QB's:

29. Jimmy Garoppolo (The 2 word response for anybody who says Kyle Shanahan isn't an offensive wizard)

30. Joshua Dobbs (better at rocket science than football, thankfully)

31. Desmond Ridder (Russell Wilson if he was as good as Zach Wilson)

32. Zach Wilson (Trey Lance if he was as good as Josh Rosen)

This gave me a few laughs, good job with the comments 🤣

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

Jalen Hurts is probably going to have a down year this year while adjusting to the new OC Brian Johnson.

Even if he had the same OC, not great passers who are effective dual threats usually take a huge step back once DC’s have that full season of tape. Lamar after 2019, Cam after 2015, Kaepernick after 2013, etc. I think Lamar is the best passer out of those four, and Hurts is the most intelligent of those four. I still think Hurts will be a Top 10 QB for years to come, and have a solid career. But he’s not a great passer and that will always hold him back. I mean he might have two Top 10 WR’s and a Top 6 TE on his team, and still not the greatest passer. Imagine Mahomes with that cast, 54 TD’s, single digit picks, and a billion passer rating 🤣

2 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Even if he had the same OC, not great passers who are effective dual threats usually take a huge step back once DC’s have that full season of tape. Lamar after 2019, Cam after 2015, Kaepernick after 2013, etc. I think Lamar is the best passer out of those four, and Hurts is the most intelligent of those four. I still think Hurts will be a Top 10 QB for years to come, and have a solid career. But he’s not a great passer and that will always hold him back. I mean he might have two Top 10 WR’s and a Top 6 TE on his team, and still not the greatest passer. Imagine Mahomes with that cast, 54 TD’s, single digit picks, and a billion passer rating 🤣

Though I could also say imagine Jalen Hurts with Andy Reid

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

Though I could also say imagine Jalen Hurts with Andy Reid

True, but I also think they developed the perfect scheme for Hurts. Another reason I think Richardson will succeed… he’s getting the same Hurts scheme with some tweaks, and the most athletically gifted QB in history. 

That 2020 QB class though, holy hell. It’s possible, like, actually possible, they could end up being the 5 best QB’s in the league outside of Mahomes and Josh Allen. 

Just now, nagahide13 said:

Wow, people are really low on LeShaun. He's definitely not that bad. Worse than Fields and Tanny? damn.

A lot of it is bias against him a person imo… He has definitely not been 20’s bad lol. I have him at 11 but I think 14-16 is a fair ranking until he has some big games. 

• Like 1