Do you approve of Brian Flores as DC?

cconocool

Ivan Pace Jr: "If that's good for the team for me to have the green dot, I know they brought in a couple of linebackers that have more experience and stuff, but if they can trust me enough to have the green dot, I'm ready for it. Having the green dot at times last year definitely helped me because in college it wasn't revolved around me, so I did not have to do that much communication, but then when I came here, it made me think more and made me actually focus and break down what the offense is doing and what our defense is doing. So yeah, it actually helped a lot."

Pace also expressed that he was excited about the incoming rookie class, mentioning defensive draft picks Dallas Turner at outside linebacker and Khyree Jackson at cornerback:

"I feel like we got a good rookie class. Last year we had a great rookie class, but I feel like this class is going to help us out a lot coming into the next season."

Josh Metellus: "I would say confidence. Undrafted linebacker, having communication but you're still trying to build trust with the guys. Ivan is feeling more confident with the way he speaks to us in the huddle, the way goes about his work and is a lot more intentional. I think he made a big step this offseason, and he's still trying to do as much as he can to learn every day and be that student on the field. He's doing a good job."

https://www.vikings.com/news/ivan-pace-2nd-season-otas

• Like 1

This year, Ivan Pace is even more comfortable and has been handling some green dot huddle calls, but the Vikings also are having veteran newcomers Blake Cashman and Kamu Grugier-Hill, as well as returnee Brian Asamoah II and second-year pro Abraham Beauplan log experience.

O'Connell:  "It's still remarkable, even where Ivan's at right now to think that this is just his second year. He's had a very good spring, just the type of communication that Flo' is putting on his plate."

"We also want to have Blake Cashman and Kamu be ready to handle some of that green dot work. BA (Asamoah) has done it a little bit in the past, so you look at those four guys and some of the down-the-line young guys we have, we've got Abe Beauplan back, as well. The depth of that room, just the versatility, and that's when you continue to say, 'Man, we're versatile in that room."

https://www.vikings.com/news/dalton-risner-competitive-situation-minicamp

versatility... overlapping responsibilities... shared knowledge base building... providing opportunities to advance...  this is how you build any high functioning team, not just in athletics.

• Like 2

Shaquill Griffin turned heads in Eagan at OTAs, and the veteran corner told Star Tribune, “I love the defensive scheme that we have. I feel that they put me in the right spot to be able to play my game how I’m used to playing it.”

Star Tribune’s Andrew Krammer: “Griffin, a 28-year-old veteran who signed a one-year, $4.5 million deal in free agency, has stepped into a starting role during spring practices. When he looks around at his new teammates, coaches and a playbook that includes more man-to-man coverage, Griffin said he sees the recipe for him to return to a Pro Bowl form he once showed with the Seahawks.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/4-standout-players-from-vikings-2024-otas?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In 2023, Jordan Hicks played 92% of the snaps in games he appeared in. Ivan Pace Jr. took over in the four games Hicks missed because of a leg injury. In those games, Pace played 100% of the Vikings' defensive snaps, averaging 60 snaps per game during that period and 34 snaps in the other 13.

Pace appeared to be the top contender for the green dot during spring practices. O'Connell said Pace "has had a very good spring, just with the type of communication Flo is putting on his plate," but indicated the Vikings were also taking a look at newcomers Blake Cashman and Kamu Grugier-Hill.

Pace: "It made me think more and actually focus and break down what the offense is doing, what our defense is doing. I know they brought in a couple linebackers that have more experience and stuff, but if they trust me enough to have the green dot, I'm ready for it."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40396049/nfl-vikings-jj-mccarthy-start-justin-jefferson

• 5 weeks later...

Kevin O’Connell told KFAN Radio on Friday that he was absolutely shocked when other NFL teams “weren’t knocking down the door” at TCO Performance Center earlier this spring/summer, to try and hire Brian Flores away from Minnesota:

“So glad to have Brian back. It’s really shocking to me that there weren’t teams knocking down the door to come try and hire Flo. He’s meant a ton to me, among a lot of other really great coaches we have on our staff. I think our players feel it and I’m excited for where we are going to take this thing.”

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minnesota-vikings-news-brian-flores-kevin-oconnell-shocked/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0br8m5LHxMni9iVwc5cRHlc0DbwOHKv-fYXjHpW2Z-hUlGx8mnJa0W-So_aem_akCOSXaA7E-ZEijUYXw93w#google_vignette

23 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Kevin O’Connell told KFAN Radio on Friday that he was absolutely shocked when other NFL teams “weren’t knocking down the door” at TCO Performance Center earlier this spring/summer, to try and hire Brian Flores away from Minnesota:

“So glad to have Brian back. It’s really shocking to me that there weren’t teams knocking down the door to come try and hire Flo. He’s meant a ton to me, among a lot of other really great coaches we have on our staff. I think our players feel it and I’m excited for where we are going to take this thing.”

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minnesota-vikings-news-brian-flores-kevin-oconnell-shocked/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0br8m5LHxMni9iVwc5cRHlc0DbwOHKv-fYXjHpW2Z-hUlGx8mnJa0W-So_aem_akCOSXaA7E-ZEijUYXw93w#google_vignette

giphy.webp