In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

The Vikings are only alive and in the playoff hunt because of Brian Flores. That cannot be overstated. He is 2023’s lifeblood and completely turned the defense around in one offseason. It’s incredible.

Minnesota hadn’t shut an opponent out in six years before Week 14.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/vikings-at-raiders-2?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 3

The Vikings defense forced a key takeaway with 9:09 remaining in the third quarter. The Raiders were driving and reached the red zone after a 38-yard completion to Hunter Renfrow. After a pass to Adams gained 1, the Raiders committed a holding penalty.

O'Connell then completed a pass to Renfrow for a short gain before Josh Metellus knocked the ball loose. Rookie Mekhi Blackmon recovered it to deny the Raiders a shot at a field goal.

The forced fumble was Minnesota's 19th of the season, which is three more than the next team (Colts).

This was the 11th game this season with at least one fumble forced by the Vikings, which also leads the NFL.

https://www.vikings.com/news/raiders-game-paces-pick-seals-win-mullens-sparks-offense?fbclid=IwAR2Nwg4X47qzA5XLrEFB6Bl_iiGAY7JlNuLbQxR4d5BlNXogIUgKEbXPdwY

Did Flores coach Metellus from a fringe roster player into the Vikings' defensive MVP in a single season? Hunter still probably deserves that title, but holy cow that guy has single handedly saved this team numerous times this season.

Bynum, Metellus, Hunter, Wonnum, Hicks all having the best years of their careers, and while Pace, Blackmon, and Roy are contributing at a high level is awesome.

1 TD in 12 quarters of football (and that TD was a pretty unbelievable catch) is phenomenal.

Make Flores the highest paid coordinator in the NFL, and let him know that the Vikings will take care of him until the right head coaching opportunity opens up for him. 

• Like 8

I think we saw the start of Metellus' rise last year, especially after he was given the captain's title, but Flores did take him to a whole new level. 

What Flores has done in such a short time is nothing short of miraculous...I know I expected some improvement (others, like @JDBrocks, expected a lot more than I did), but the improvement has been far beyond even the most optimistic of us. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Did Flores coach Metellus from a fringe roster player into the Vikings' defensive MVP in a single season? Hunter still probably deserves that title, but holy cow that guy has single handedly saved this team numerous times this season.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

How did nobody else see that Metellus is a jack of all trades type of player??!?

Once again it could have just been a blind spot by Zimmer, who has, his entire career, been a DB guru, but had such high expectations of how a defense should run that he didn't allow for a lot of creativity.  When you have an offensive head coach who likes creativity in his own offense, he's going to allow the defensive coach to have a little more authority on being creative with his defense.  Then it falls on the defensive staff to recognize that. 

The reports from training camp were that Metellus picked up the defense so much quicker than anyone else and was actually coaching it to other players at other positions.  The coaches recognized that and probably gave him the opportunity to be utilized at other positions since he knew them almost as well as he knew his own. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

How did nobody else see that Metellus is a jack of all trades type of player??!?

Because we've seen these type of players come and go in the NFL for a long time and they rarely work out.

It's really a marvel that Metellus is doing what he's doing and it's certainly a credit to him and the coaching staff.

Edited by Dolmonite26
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Because we've seen these type of players come and go in the NFL for a long time and they rarely workout.

It's really a marvel that Metellus is doing what he's doing and it's certainly a credit to him and the coaching staff.

I was convinced Jabrill Peppers was going to be that kind of guy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

i'll stand by my initial reaction to the question posed, and continue to approve of the guy.

It isn't all roses though. Every day in practice, he has the opportunity to have one of his guys end the Josh Oliver experience, and yet he's done NOTHING!!!

• Like 1