Trade Deadline 2023

Louis Friend

27 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Literally have had the same top 3 needs through 8 weeks. CB/DL/WR 🤣 Now people acting like it wasn’t a need. Less than 24 hours ago, we saw the Lions fail to convert in the red zone. Adding sure hands to Goff for redzone situations is not a bad thing. 

Or attacking and calling us disingenuous lol.

my bad intellectually dishonest because we had a different opinion 

Edited by detfan782004
  • Like 1

Here are some CBs who are on the free agent market.  Not great but about the same as what was moved at the deadline. 

Bradley Roby
Desmond King
Greedy Williams (25 years old)
Cameron Dantzler (24 years old)
Justin Coleman/
Jason Verrett
Byron Jones
William Jackson
Kyle Fuller

DL players available:
Robert Quinn
Matt Ioannidis
Ndamukong Suh
Carlos Dunlap
Chandler Jones
Carl Nassib
Chris Wormley

Not to mention practice squad players.  These guys aren't as exciting as the names being thrown around but they are free and could fill in if we have an injury.  I'd probably bring in one of the CBs now like Roby, Dantzler or Greedy just to have on the PS at least.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Here are some CBs who are on the free agent market.  Not great but about the same as what was moved at the deadline. 

Bradley Roby
Desmond King
Greedy Williams (25 years old)
Cameron Dantzler (24 years old)
Justin Coleman/
Jason Verrett
Byron Jones
William Jackson
Kyle Fuller

DL players available:
Robert Quinn
Matt Ioannidis
Ndamukong Suh
Carlos Dunlap
Chandler Jones
Carl Nassib
Chris Wormley

Not to mention practice squad players.  These guys aren't as exciting as the names being thrown around but they are free and could fill in if we have an injury.  I'd probably bring in one of the CBs now like Roby, Dantzler or Greedy just to have on the PS at least.  

I’ve brought up King and Greedy recently. I’d gladly take either. I’m not looking for big name splash move. We need solid depth. 

• Like 1

Given the profile of DPJ and what he brings to the team, do you feel that we would still have a high need at WR in the 2024 draft (assuming that we re-sign Reynolds and DPJ)?

1. Amon-RA St. Brown
  2. Josh Reynolds
  3. Jameson Williams
  4. Donovan Peoples-Jones
  5. Kalif Raymond
  6. Antoine Green

21 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Given the profile of DPJ and what he brings to the team, do you feel that we would still have a high need at WR in the 2024 draft (assuming that we re-sign Reynolds and DPJ)?

1. Amon-RA St. Brown
  2. Josh Reynolds
  3. Jameson Williams
  4. Donovan Peoples-Jones
  5. Kalif Raymond
  6. Antoine Green

I would say not really.  However, it a high-end prospect drops to the Lions or they take a player with high-upside is available they should take a shot.  Kalif Raymond and Josh Reynolds are both in their 7th season in the NFL.  Something to consider.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

1. Amon-RA St. Brown
  2. Josh Reynolds
  3. Jameson Williams
  4. Donovan Peoples-Jones
  5. Kalif Raymond
  6. Antoine Green

I think Jamo is the biggest wild card.  If he is falling out of favor with the staff and not a real part of the future, i would lean towards yes.  DPJ is a younger version of Reynolds IMO.  Solid WR, will have a long career as a #3 type option.  Shouldn't be much more than that on a regular basis.  I think adding upside to the room is important but I am not sure it is a need in the first two rounds of the draft.  But higher than the 7th round.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think Jamo is the biggest wild card.  If he is falling out of favor with the staff and not a real part of the future, i would lean towards yes.  DPJ is a younger version of Reynolds IMO.  Solid WR, will have a long career as a #3 type option.  Shouldn't be much more than that on a regular basis.  I think adding upside to the room is important but I am not sure it is a need in the first two rounds of the draft.  But higher than the 7th round.  

This is something that I'm looking at in more depth as I try to get a handle on what the 2024 off-season may look like.

I'm not sure if we would be bringing back Jonah Jackson. He's probably going to get a bigger contract than we'd like to pay and I'm not sure if he's genuinely needed. 

• Glasgow: He's signed for another year, has graded out pretty well and offers versatility (RG/OC)
  • Vaitai: He's not coming back (2024 is a void year)
  • Awosika: He's getting good experience and has started 2 games this year in Jackson's absence. He's played well enough to be given an opportunity to compete for the starting job and is a key back-up in any event

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

This is something that I'm looking at in more depth as I try to get a handle on what the 2024 off-season may look like.

I'm not sure if we would be bringing back Jonah Jackson. He's probably going to get a bigger contract than we'd like to pay and I'm not sure if he's genuinely needed. 

• Glasgow: He's signed for another year, has graded out pretty well and offers versatility (RG/OC)
  • Vaitai: He's not coming back (2024 is a void year)
  • Awosika: He's getting good experience and has started 2 games this year in Jackson's absence. He's played well enough to be given an opportunity to compete for the starting job and is a key back-up in any event

I definitely think the rest of this year is going to determine a lot at a bunch of positions.

The growth from Sorasdal and Awosika will determine how much we are willing to pay an OG or if we draft one. I think we likely draft a tackle and have them play OG until we move on from Decker.  I wouldn't be completely shocked if we move on from Decker next year given his injuries and inconsistent play for his contract. 

Jamo's growth will play a big role in whether we re-sign DPJ and/or draft a WR high.  I think reynolds sticks around because he and Goff have a rapport, but as he ages, we need to find talent to move ahead of him.  If Jamo is not looking to do that, I could see us moving Jamo now for a 3rd or something or swapping for another struggling early pick at a different position in hopes both break out in new systems.  I really hope Jamo gets it together though and becomes that solid #2 and think he has it in him, but he needs to prove it the rest of the way. 

I think the DBs will also have a lot of say in what direction we go there.  I think we try to bring CJGJ back.  I wouldn't be shocked if Mosley also resigns but given he will have two years off pretty much, I wouldn't depend on him at this point.  Jerry Jacobs should be back but will depend on his contract.  We need someone to replace Will Harris although the staff seems to really like him (he must be doing stuff I don't see on plays he isn't burned on that keep him around).  Branch continuing to develop as a CB/S helps both units but if he moves to more of a full time CB role, it will open a hole at S or vice versa. 

DT we need to see what Brodric Martin has and how he develops.  He looked rough in game 1 last week but the fact he was active and played over Levi means we are likely to move on from Onwuzurike after this year.  We need growth from him and either figure out what is going on with Buggs and let him play or move on and find someone the staff likes better.  

Edge is going to be a hole no matter what.  James Houston likely comes back and adds to the depth this year but either need to see him develop as a full time edge or as a rush LB to figure out what he is going to be for us.  I hope its more of an edge role but he has to play the run better.  We will be moving on from Harris, and probably both Okwara's this year IMO so will need some help there.  Paschal developing further would help but I think he is likely more of a depth player.  He has actually graded decently by PFF in his limited role so would be nice to see him get more reps and see if he can provide some pressure.  

18 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The growth from Sorasdal and Awosika will determine how much we are willing to pay an OG or if we draft one. I think we likely draft a tackle and have them play OG until we move on from Decker.  I wouldn't be completely shocked if we move on from Decker next year given his injuries and inconsistent play for his contract. 

100% can see this happening. This is apparently a deep tackle class which means that there will be guys who are pushed down the board. There will absolutely be fans who see an OT picked early that are going to be shocked and complain about "why did we waste a 1st or 2nd on a guy to have them play guard.. we could have just paid Jonah, etc.". 

20 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Jamo's growth will play a big role in whether we re-sign DPJ and/or draft a WR high.  I think reynolds sticks around because he and Goff have a rapport, but as he ages, we need to find talent to move ahead of him.  If Jamo is not looking to do that, I could see us moving Jamo now for a 3rd or something or swapping for another struggling early pick at a different position in hopes both break out in new systems.  I really hope Jamo gets it together though and becomes that solid #2 and think he has it in him, but he needs to prove it the rest of the way. 

I almost feel like DPJ could result in us targeting another guy in the mold of Jamo (speedster that can blow the top off of a defense) while DPJ comes in as a WR3 and eventually succeeds Reynolds as WR2. Reynolds will likely sign a 1 or 2 year deal on the cheap to stay here. Raymond has already been re-signed. Neither guy is a long term option but it feels like the Lions like them more than we do as fans. Green could be given more of a chance to develop and we could be looking at adding someone in the middle or later rounds as opposed to taking someone earlier. 

26 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think the DBs will also have a lot of say in what direction we go there.  I think we try to bring CJGJ back.  I wouldn't be shocked if Mosley also resigns but given he will have two years off pretty much, I wouldn't depend on him at this point.  Jerry Jacobs should be back but will depend on his contract.  We need someone to replace Will Harris although the staff seems to really like him (he must be doing stuff I don't see on plays he isn't burned on that keep him around).  Branch continuing to develop as a CB/S helps both units but if he moves to more of a full time CB role, it will open a hole at S or vice versa. 

I do think CJGJ is going to come back here unless Aaron Glenn gets a HC job elsewhere (I think he has a legit chance at the Raiders job IMO). Jacobs is probably going to come back unless some team throws dumb money at him. I think it's going to be between Jerry and Moseley. I don't think we bring back both of them. Will Harris has to go. We should be targeting the secondary early and often in free agency and the draft. 

32 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

DT we need to see what Brodric Martin has and how he develops.  He looked rough in game 1 last week but the fact he was active and played over Levi means we are likely to move on from Onwuzurike after this year.  We need growth from him and either figure out what is going on with Buggs and let him play or move on and find someone the staff likes better.  

Levi is likely gone. I'm just looking at Buggs' snap counts and I had not seen that he was inactive for the Raiders game. He's made some plays for us this season but it's evident that his time is going to be short as a member of the Lions. We should be looking at the Lions adding someone here next season. What happens with Martin will determine where that happens and what kind of investment is made here. 

41 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Edge is going to be a hole no matter what.  James Houston likely comes back and adds to the depth this year but either need to see him develop as a full time edge or as a rush LB to figure out what he is going to be for us.  I hope its more of an edge role but he has to play the run better.  We will be moving on from Harris, and probably both Okwara's this year IMO so will need some help there.  Paschal developing further would help but I think he is likely more of a depth player.  He has actually graded decently by PFF in his limited role so would be nice to see him get more reps and see if he can provide some pressure.  

You need a deep rotation of pass-rushers.. which is something that we don't have. Houston coming back and Paschal developing would be great. Unfortunately, that's not going to address the hole at the position. I can see us addressing this in round 1/round 2, depending on which players are available at the time. Ohio State's JT Tuimoloau could be an option for us at pick #32 (I'm being optimistic here). 

10 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I have come to the conclusion that I expect Ragnow to retire in the off season.

That's not out of the question and a good observation to consider. 

He also could wind up shutting it down in August after trying to push through and determining he's just not able to. 

I know I'm looking at the Lions adding a starter at OG (possibly LG and letting Jackson walk, Glasgow at RG) but having to add a new starter at OC would definitely change the equation a bit. We have to also consider a future without Decker and have his replacement lined up soon (or the person that takes over for Sewell if he slides over to LT).