Trade Deadline 2023

Louis Friend

I think it would take a specific set of circumstances for the Lions to be buyers at the trade deadline:

1.  They have in injury to one of the core players 

2. A younger veteran becomes available from a team is headed into a major re-build

3. A good player from another team can't be re-signed due to salary cap issues

The teams most likely to have a fire-sale in my opinion:  Saints, Panthers Cardinals, Broncos, Jets and Raiders.  The Titans might be willing to deal if things go off-the-rails this year.  There aren't any obvious candidates from those teams.  One player to keep an eye on:  Christian Wilkins.  Miami hasn't signed him to an extension.  After spending big on Tyreek Hill and Xavien Howard they may not be able to re-sign him.  He has played at a really high level the last two seasons.  If things go sideways for the Dolphins, he might trade rather than let him walk in free agency.  Isaiah Buggs has been a solid player but Christian Wilkins in on a whole different level.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilkCh00.htm

• Like 1

If an opportunity comes along to help improve the team for the right price, I can definitely see Brad Holmes pouncing on it.

Should Cincinnati continue to struggle, and it looks like it's a lost season for them, I could see a chance that DJ Reader might be available. The Bengals want to resign him, but they have a few big decisions to make, and they won't be able to pay everyone. A player like Reader as a one year rental for a postseason push could be a big-time difference maker.

• Like 2

I don't expect us to make a move. I think we have pretty decent depth across the board and that Homes and DC would rather turn to players on the PS etc than sign an unknown... even on the O-line, which is where I'd potentially see it coming. I think Reynolds and Raymond have held the #2 spot down pretty well and Jamo is coming back. I don't really see us making a trade.

• Like 1

I don't think we make any significant moves unless we have additional injury issues.  If we make a move, it will likely be a small move to add depth and not a super star. 

I did see a thing about us making a move for Devante Adams but I dont want that contract at his age unless we are sure Jamo is a bust.  Even then Reynolds and Raymond have been very good and not sure we need another alpha there. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't think we make any significant moves unless we have additional injury issues.  If we make a move, it will likely be a small move to add depth and not a super star. 

I did see a thing about us making a move for Devante Adams but I dont want that contract at his age unless we are sure Jamo is a bust.  Even then Reynolds and Raymond have been very good and not sure we need another alpha there. 

I agree with you on Davante Adams.  An aging receiver on a big contract who is already fighting any injury may not be so helpful.

• Like 2

Riley Patterson has settled in as our PK and he deserves a lot of credit for that.  Dan Campbell probably doesn't want to rely on a PK to win games all of the time.  However, one trade they should consider that won't cost too much:  acquire Daniel Carlson from the Raiders.  Adding a legit Pro Bowl PK to our team would address a significant weakness, especially considering the number of dome-games we play.  

8 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Riley Patterson has settled in as our PK and he deserves a lot of credit for that.  Dan Campbell probably doesn't want to rely on a PK to win games all of the time.  However, one trade they should consider that won't cost too much:  acquire Daniel Carlson from the Raiders.  Adding a legit Pro Bowl PK to our team would address a significant weakness, especially considering the number of dome-games we play.  

I wouldn't hate that since Carlson has a bigger leg with a great percentage on over 50 yard kicks.  Patterson may cost us down the stretch in a tight game if he doesnt have enough leg for that.  Overall percentage wise Patterson is actually better including XP in which Carlson is 95.5% compared to Patterson's 98.5% but its a really small sample size for Patterson.  But having the 50+ option would be something I'd like to have in the bag.  

44 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

That feels like a move that wouldn't cost very much and really move the needle in the future. 

One interesting situation to watch is the contract extension with Justin Jefferson.  The Vikings aren't very good this year and if they decide to move Justin Jefferson it could create some movement in the WR-trade market.  I don't think the Vikings would trade him to the Lions.  However, a team looking to add him to their roster may need to move another one of their players to clear roster and cap-space.  

It might be a similar situation with Christian Wilkins but he isn't quite the elite player that Justin Jefferson is right now.