Trade Deadline 2023

Louis Friend

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

One interesting situation to watch is the contract extension with Justin Jefferson.  The Vikings aren't very good this year and if they decide to move Justin Jefferson it could create some movement in the WR-trade market.  I don't think the Vikings would trade him to the Lions.  However, a team looking to add him to their roster may need to move another one of their players to clear roster and cap-space.  

It might be a similar situation with Christian Wilkins but he isn't quite the elite player that Justin Jefferson is right now.

I would be shocked like Barry Sanders retirement shocked if Minny traded Jefferson.

They trade Cousins to extend Jefferson because Jefferson can make any QB serviceable 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

I would be shocked like Barry Sanders retirement shocked if Minny traded Jefferson.

They trade Cousins to extend Jefferson because Jefferson can make any QB serviceable 

From what I understand, he has already rejected at least one extension offer.  Given the current state of the team and the fact that it isn't likely to get any better, I could see the Vikings throwing in the towel.  I just hope it isn't the Chiefs who make the move to get him.

Honestly, I think the Vikings have really bungled this situation.  Justin Jefferson is their only truly elite player.  They have traded or released a lot of other talented players.  You can't really blame the guy for wanting to play somewhere else.

Edited by Just Want A Title

18 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Yeah - I think it's much more likely that Cousins gets traded before Jefferson does. 

If he can see that they're going to have a chance at one of the elite young QB's in the draft and rebuild the right way (I'm hoping he'd be wrong but can't blame them for trying), then he'd probably want to come back as a leader on that team (and get paid like it too). 

16 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

From what I understand, he has already rejected at least one extension offer.  Given the current state of the team and the fact that it isn't likely to get any better, I could see the Vikings throwing in the towel.  I just hope it isn't the Chiefs who make the move to get him.

Honestly, I think the Vikings have really bungled this situation.  Justin Jefferson is their only truly elite player.  They have traded or released a lot of other talented players.  You can't really blame the guy for wanting to play somewhere else.

They have the fifth year option for him and can franchise him the next year so they have at least two years after this with him.  The franchise would be the average of the top 5 WR from next year which would be a deal for JJ.  They can tag him again after that and pay him 120% of that salary making him likely the top WR that year but not guaranteed which again, is probably a deal for JJ.  So they have three years to work out a deal with him and I don't see any chance he is moved unless he still doesn't have a long term deal by the time that second franchise tag is required.  There is no way that MN fans will still follow that team if they make TJ Hockenson the top paid TE and let JJ walk.  

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

They have the fifth year option for him and can franchise him the next year so they have at least two years after this with him.  The franchise would be the average of the top 5 WR from next year which would be a deal for JJ.  They can tag him again after that and pay him 120% of that salary making him likely the top WR that year but not guaranteed which again, is probably a deal for JJ.  So they have three years to work out a deal with him and I don't see any chance he is moved unless he still doesn't have a long term deal by the time that second franchise tag is required.  There is no way that MN fans will still follow that team if they make TJ Hockenson the top paid TE and let JJ walk.  

This may sound unrealistic but maybe it isn't about the money.  The Vikings haven't really gotten better since his rookie year.  You could make the case that they have taken their current roster core as far as it can go and a significant re-build is in the works.  I didn't think they would trade Stefon Diggs but they did it.  Adam ThIelen should have retired as a Viking but he didn't.  The players they are bringing in aren't better than the ones they are letting go.  The Vikings may have him under contractual control but it things keep going they way they are going the relationship between the player and team might end up being irrevocably broken.

25 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

This may sound unrealistic but maybe it isn't about the money.  The Vikings haven't really gotten better since his rookie year.  You could make the case that they have taken their current roster core as far as it can go and a significant re-build is in the works.  I didn't think they would trade Stefon Diggs but they did it.  Adam ThIelen should have retired as a Viking but he didn't.  The players they are bringing in aren't better than the ones they are letting go.  The Vikings may have him under contractual control but it things keep going they way they are going the relationship between the player and team might end up being irrevocably broken.

I agree they can rebuild, but they still have control of JJ for a while and selling him off now doesn't make sense.  If they get a top pick this year and add a new QB or a better D player, a lot can change in those three years.  I don't think they re-sign TJ if they are at all thinking about a complete reset.  Very few people retire with the team that drafted them, just ask Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers etc but at some point the cost does not return the needed results and as long as JJ is providing positive returns, they will hold onto him.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

If Mosely is out for an extended time again, I'd seriously consider going for Pat Surtain.

I feel like our secondary depth is starting to get very thin. Even if Kerby, Walker and Branch don’t suffer any set backs, I don’t want them playing every snap. 

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

If Mosely is out for an extended time again, I'd seriously consider going for Pat Surtain.

Even though the Broncos are fielding one of the historically worst defenses ever, it would be surprising to see them trade Patrick Surtain II.  He is one of the few proven players that hey have on that defense.  The only way I could see them trading him is there was a conflict with Sean Payton, Sean Payton acts like Sean Payton and decides to send him packing.

Edited by Just Want A Title

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Even though the Broncos are fielding one of the historically worst defenses ever, it would be surprising to see them trade Patrick Surtain II.  He is one of the few proven players that hey have on that defense.  The only way I could see them trading him is there was a conflict with Sean Payton and Sean Payton acts like Sean Payton and decides to send him packing.

We've seen Deandre Hopkins moved for much less than his market value because his front office was stupid. 

So here's hoping!

• Like 1

One CB who might be available:  Steven Nelson from the Texans.  He has always been a pretty solid CB and right now we could use more of that.  I don't think he would cost too much.  Houston doesn't have a realistic shot at the playoffs and could use all of the draft picks it can get.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NelsSt01.htm

8 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

One CB who might be available:  Steven Nelson from the Texans.  He has always been a pretty solid CB and right now we could use more of that.  I don't think he would cost too much.  Houston doesn't have a realistic shot at the playoffs and could use all of the draft picks it can get.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NelsSt01.htm

That division is trash and Stroud has been ballin so far...I certainly wouldn't call it "likely" but I wouldn't say it's unrealistic either.... Though even if they did make it they'd probably be one and done.

23 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Bring me Pat Surtain

From the offers I have seen suggested by other organizations, I am not sure I would want to pay for Surtain at this point.  On a Bills site, they suggested their first in 24, second in 25 and Kair Elam.  Another suggested Houston trade a 1st and second this year plus Stingley Jr.  Not to mention that he hasn't been that great this year or his rookie year so as of now he is a one year wonder.  I think I would rather find something more economical pick wise.  

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

From the offers I have seen suggested by other organizations, I am not sure I would want to pay for Surtain at this point.  On a Bills site, they suggested their first in 24, second in 25 and Kair Elam.  Another suggested Houston trade a 1st and second this year plus Stingley Jr.  Not to mention that he hasn't been that great this year or his rookie year so as of now he is a one year wonder.  I think I would rather find something more economical pick wise.  

Took a quick peak. Kendall Fuller from WASH is rated top 5 on PFF. He is on an expiring contract at $11M. If they keep losing, I wonder if he could be had.

• Like 2