Trade Deadline 2023

Louis Friend

21 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Given the importance that Brad Holmes has placed on building through the draft, it would be surprising to see him give up a lot future draft capital in a trade.  Leonard Williams is in his 9th season but is still a solid player.  It might not happen until the off-season but bringing in Christian Wilkins seems to make more sense.  He is in the prime of his career and has been playing at a really high level.  The Dolphins haven't extended him and might be hampered by some of the other big money contracts they have given out recently.

Wilkins will likely cost $20+M per year to sign and potentially picks if they franchise him which is likely.  If Williams comes at the cost of a 5th round pick and a $12-14M a year extension for a couple of years I think that makes more sense for us.  

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Wilkins will likely cost $20+M per year to sign and potentially picks if they franchise him which is likely.  If Williams comes at the cost of a 5th round pick and a $12-14M a year extension for a couple of years I think that makes more sense for us.  

Personally, I think the only situation in which the Lions would make a trade for Christian Wilkins is if Alim McNeil turned had been a complete bust this year and they wanted to shake up the locker room a little bit.  He started a little slow but is finally playing up to his potential and we have a great locker room situation so there isn't too much of a need to make a splash trade.  I am surprised the Dolphins are willing to let him test free agency at all.  I could see Seattle making a run at him though.

A move that I would like to see is:

Denver Broncos trade

Courtland Sutton (44 pts or equivalent to pick 129, a 5th)

Pick 103 (4th) - 88 pts

Detroit trades

Pick 92 (3rd) (132 pts)

The Broncos can play around and eat more of the money in order to get a better pick. The Lions get a veteran WR that can offer good size, receiving ability, and run blocking. 

Sutton is under contract until 2026. You're probably not going to keep him until then but he'd still be 1 year younger than Kalif Raymond (30 v 31). He'd also be 3 years younger than Marvin Jones is right now. 

We'd get back a 4th, which we don't have, while the Broncos would get something to help rebuild their roster. 

• LWR - Sutton; Reynolds; Green
  • SWR - ARSB; Raymond
  • RWR - Williams

Kalif can do a lot of the things that Jamo can speed wise. Sutton, ARSB, Reynolds and LaPorta offer a lot of size and reliability. If we can get Jamo going, it'd be a deep group of weapons. 

It doesn't address the secondary but it does help in keeping the offense humming at a relatively cheap cost. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Denver Broncos trade

Pick 103 (4th) - 88 pts

Detroit trades

Pick 92 (3rd) (132 pts)

The Broncos can play around and eat more of the money in order to get a better pick. The Lions get a veteran WR that can offer good size, receiving ability, and run blocking. 

Sutton is under contract until 2026. You're probably not going to keep him until then but he'd still be 1 year younger than Kalif Raymond (30 v 31). He'd also be 3 years younger than Marvin Jones is right now. 

We'd get back a 4th, which we don't have, while the Broncos would get something to help rebuild their roster. 

• SWR - ARSB; Raymond
  • RWR - Williams

Kalif can do a lot of the things that Jamo can speed wise. Sutton, ARSB, Reynolds and LaPorta offer a lot of size and reliability. If we can get Jamo going, it'd be a deep group of weapons. 

It doesn't address the secondary but it does help in keeping the offense humming at a relatively cheap cost. 

He is a solid depth WR for sure.  I have no idea if a 3rd makes sense given his production level.  He does have good size though.

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Denver Broncos trade

Pick 103 (4th) - 88 pts

Detroit trades

Pick 92 (3rd) (132 pts)

• SWR - ARSB; Raymond
  • RWR - Williams

I would have been all for this to start the year but given how well Reynolds has played, I would rather just keep putting him out there.  Especially given the contract that I don't think we need to pay for that type of WR.  I feel like Reynolds is similar to Goff in he had a negative perception when he arrived and we are ignoring what he is doing on the field and thinking he is still that guy.  Reynolds is 28 and likely could be signed for less than Sutton's deal in the offseason if we chose to keep him.  Not to mention Sutton really only has 1 really good year in his career and last year had 9 drops for a 8.3% drop rate.

Raymond just signed a two year extension so the staff obviously likes him and what he brings so he will be around at least for next year.  

What about sending a 6th for Mecole Hardeman and a 7th in 2025 or something like that.  He had some production at least with Mahomes but is buried in New York.  He has low drop % the last two years and has been just about as productive as Sutton over that time.  

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would have been all for this to start the year but given how well Reynolds has played, I would rather just keep putting him out there.  Especially given the contract that I don't think we need to pay for that type of WR.  I feel like Reynolds is similar to Goff in he had a negative perception when he arrived and we are ignoring what he is doing on the field and thinking he is still that guy.  Reynolds is 28 and likely could be signed for less than Sutton's deal in the offseason if we chose to keep him.  Not to mention Sutton really only has 1 really good year in his career and last year had 9 drops for a 8.3% drop rate.

Raymond just signed a two year extension so the staff obviously likes him and what he brings so he will be around at least for next year.  

What about sending a 6th for Mecole Hardeman and a 7th in 2025 or something like that.  He had some production at least with Mahomes but is buried in New York.  He has low drop % the last two years and has been just about as productive as Sutton over that time.  

It'd be more about pushing someone like Marvin down/out and ensuring we don't hurt our depth with an injury or two. If ARSB gets hurt for a period of time, it's not going to be pretty. Reynolds and Raymond are good in chunks. Jamo can't seem to catch a cold, Marvin hasn't been much better and Green is recovering from his concussion. Sutton is a better WR that has been in a brutal situation. He's had Drew Lock and Russell Wilson. He's played under Nathaniel Hackett. 

The 3rd kind of pays for the Broncos taking on most of the contract and easing the cap burden. 

37 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It'd be more about pushing someone like Marvin down/out and ensuring we don't hurt our depth with an injury or two. If ARSB gets hurt for a period of time, it's not going to be pretty. Reynolds and Raymond are good in chunks. Jamo can't seem to catch a cold, Marvin hasn't been much better and Green is recovering from his concussion. Sutton is a better WR that has been in a brutal situation. He's had Drew Lock and Russell Wilson. He's played under Nathaniel Hackett. 

The 3rd kind of pays for the Broncos taking on most of the contract and easing the cap burden. 

Well Sutton hasn’t been good either, and moving down in the draft in an area that Holmes has historically done well doesn’t make sense.  Reynolds May only be good in chunks, but He has been better than Sutton the last 16 games.  The WR core was just fine last week without ARSB and if we eventually get Gibbs back as well, he will take targets.  

if we are looking to push Marvin off the field, that’s where a cheap option like Hardman makes sense, given Marvin is only on the field for like 20% of the snaps.  I don’t want to spend any significant resources on WR when we have three of them graded on the top 20 and have a top 5 TE.  It just seems like a waste of resources.  If we are going to spend picks, add a CB or DT to improve one of our actual weaker areas. 

I saw this article about players from the Carolina Panthers who might be available for trade.  There are some pretty interesting names.  Donte Jackson and Jeremy Chinn seem like interesting trade targets.  It would be insane if Brad Holmes could find a way to get Brian Burns but I think that is pretty improbable.  

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/13/panthers-nfl-trade-rumors-brian-burns-jeremy-chinn-donte-jackson-terrace-marshall/

Edited by Just Want A Title

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Well Sutton hasn’t been good either, and moving down in the draft in an area that Holmes has historically done well doesn’t make sense.  Reynolds May only be good in chunks, but He has been better than Sutton the last 16 games.  The WR core was just fine last week without ARSB and if we eventually get Gibbs back as well, he will take targets.  

if we are looking to push Marvin off the field, that’s where a cheap option like Hardman makes sense, given Marvin is only on the field for like 20% of the snaps.  I don’t want to spend any significant resources on WR when we have three of them graded on the top 20 and have a top 5 TE.  It just seems like a waste of resources.  If we are going to spend picks, add a CB or DT to improve one of our actual weaker areas. 

'Just fine' against the Panthers doesn't quite cut it for me. It's a position group, alongside CB, that could really struggle if injuries start to kick in. Hardman really didn't do a ton on an explosive Chiefs offense. They even traded away Tyreek and Hardman didn't step up and take his place. Sutton has been a Pro Bowler in an overall bad situation. He'd be a WR1 with this offense and Goff under center. He just doesn't have to be, which is the dangerous part (for opposing teams)

14 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

'Just fine' against the Panthers doesn't quite cut it for me. It's a position group, alongside CB, that could really struggle if injuries start to kick in. Hardman really didn't do a ton on an explosive Chiefs offense. They even traded away Tyreek and Hardman didn't step up and take his place. Sutton has been a Pro Bowler in an overall bad situation. He'd be a WR1 with this offense and Goff under center. He just doesn't have to be, which is the dangerous part (for opposing teams)

He seems like a smart player to target in a trade.  I don't know if he would be WR1 but he would add the large and physical WR we have been lacking.  He is definitely more of a known/proven commodity than Terrace Marshall Jr.  Terrace Marshall Jr has solid height, speed and athleticism but has played in some terrible offenses since he came into the league but he isn't on the level of Courtland Sutton.  

7 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Denver Broncos trade

Pick 103 (4th) - 88 pts

Detroit trades

Pick 92 (3rd) (132 pts)

• SWR - ARSB; Raymond
  • RWR - Williams

Yea I'm probably good with this type of deal where we're not losing a pick technically, just a swap. Plus he has an out after this year where we can just cut him if we want.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I’m going to be frank, after watching a couple Denver games this season and seeing Jeudy and Sutton just give up in games with their effort (reminding me of Hock), I wouldn’t want either one of them. We are building a team of dawgs and neither one of them fit that. 

I didn't see him giving up on that TD play. I haven't watched a ton of Broncos games so I could be missing something.