Trade Deadline 2023

Louis Friend

13 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

'Just fine' against the Panthers doesn't quite cut it for me. It's a position group, alongside CB, that could really struggle if injuries start to kick in. Hardman really didn't do a ton on an explosive Chiefs offense. They even traded away Tyreek and Hardman didn't step up and take his place. Sutton has been a Pro Bowler in an overall bad situation. He'd be a WR1 with this offense and Goff under center. He just doesn't have to be, which is the dangerous part (for opposing teams)

By just fine I meant Josh Reynolds had a 91.7 PFF grade, graded out as one of the top 5 WRs for the week, and Raymond graded in the 80s.  They weren’t just fine, they played great.  The just fine comment meant we don’t need anything else.  

Sutton went to a pro bowl in 2019 and has been very average other than that one year.  He wasn’t a number 1 with Russell Wilson when Jeudy was out. He isn’t a #1 WR in skill set.  He has literally been Mecole Hardman the last three years except Hardman has speed and was breaking out last year without Hill before being hurt.  And the big difference, Hardman would be cheap pick wise and contract wise and would upgrade Marvin which you said was the goal.  

Bottom line, if Sutton and Reynolds are here, I want Reynold starting over Sutton. I don’t mind adding another depth WR to get Marvin off the field but I’m not spending resources to add to a position of strength. And as much as people won’t consider our WR a strength, they have been our most consistently good position group this season. 

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

By just fine I meant Josh Reynolds had a 91.7 PFF grade, graded out as one of the top 5 WRs for the week, and Raymond graded in the 80s.  They weren’t just fine, they played great.  The just fine comment meant we don’t need anything else.  

Sutton went to a pro bowl in 2019 and has been very average other than that one year.  He wasn’t a number 1 with Russell Wilson when Jeudy was out. He isn’t a #1 WR in skill set.  He has literally been Mecole Hardman the last three years except Hardman has speed and was breaking out last year without Hill before being hurt.  And the big difference, Hardman would be cheap pick wise and contract wise and would upgrade Marvin which you said was the goal.  

Bottom line, if Sutton and Reynolds are here, I want Reynold starting over Sutton. I don’t mind adding another depth WR to get Marvin off the field but I’m not spending resources to add to a position of strength. And as much as people won’t consider our WR a strength, they have been our most consistently good position group this season. 

My perception is that a healthy* Sutton >>>>>>>>every other player you mentioned, but who knows? I see a poor man's AJ Brown. I also think he could be had for a day-3 pick, which factors in. I hope you're right about Reynolds--seems more like a #4 to me, but his connection with Goff could get him a thousand yards, so 🤷

10 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I’m going to be frank, after watching a couple Denver games this season and seeing Jeudy and Sutton just give up in games with their effort (reminding me of Hock), I wouldn’t want either one of them. We are building a team of dawgs and neither one of them fit that. 

One play changed my mind on Jeudy. Pathetic effort. Does not belong here.

It would be nice to be able to at a veteran WR but we may not need it.  One would think Antoine Green would be capable of making some contributions in the passing game at this point.  We praised Jameson Williams for his blocking but Antoine Green has been a pretty solid blocker also.  We are much thinner at CB at this point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

My perception is that a healthy* Sutton >>>>>>>>every other player you mentioned, but who knows? I see a poor man's AJ Brown. I also think he could be had for a day-3 pick, which factors in. I hope you're right about Reynolds--seems more like a #4 to me, but his connection with Goff could get him a thousand yards, so 🤷

And that’s my point. Your perception is vastly wrong.  Stat wise, Reynolds and Sutton are pretty even over the past few years. Athletically, they are pretty even. PFF grade they have been pretty even for three years and Reynolds is vastly outperforming him this year. The only place that Sutton is vastly better than Reynolds is on Madden and that’s likely due to his one good year he had 5 years ago.  He is a name that is living off his one good year and has been very average since. And that doesn’t even include the fact his contract is way too much for what he is producing.  

• Like 2

I'm still in the work something out with the Giants camp.  Give me a packaged deal for Leonard Williams, Adoree Jackson, and Sterling Shepard.  Would shore up our three biggest weaknesses at the moment and all have contracts coming due so no long term investment required.  Then we can re-sign Williams if he works out here before the new league year to avoid the dead money.  The expiring contracts, voidable year on Williams, and them just being awful should lower the price on all of them.  Not sure what the price would be but I would say around a 3rd and maybe a 5th in 2025 might get it done. 

With the David Montgomery injury, we should probably be looking at adding someone to our backfield. Craig Reynolds and Devine Ozigbo are fine as fill in/back up players but they shouldn't be featured for any period of time. 

Two teams that are struggling but have viable RB options for us - New England (Rhamondre Stevenson) and Carolina (Chuba Hubbard). 

Both guys are signed for around $1.1 to $1.2M in 2023 and 2025 (UFAs in 2025); both offer good size (210 and 227 lbs). Stevenson has graded out really well for pass protection (90.5) while Hubbard does falter here (43.3). 

Hubbard is probably the more realistic option as he's playing behind Miles Sanders while Stevenson is the lead back in NE. 

For what it might cost (5th or 6th), it'd be worthwhile to add someone that can contribute in a starting role over the next few weeks and add key depth to a position of significant importance to this offense for the long stretch. 

I don't think a tandem of Craig Reynolds and Ozigbo can do it over a long stretch and that even includes throwing Gibbs into the mix. 

10 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

With the David Montgomery injury, we should probably be looking at adding someone to our backfield. Craig Reynolds and Devine Ozigbo are fine as fill in/back up players but they shouldn't be featured for any period of time. 

Two teams that are struggling but have viable RB options for us - New England (Rhamondre Stevenson) and Carolina (Chuba Hubbard). 

Both guys are signed for around $1.1 to $1.2M in 2023 and 2025 (UFAs in 2025); both offer good size (210 and 227 lbs). Stevenson has graded out really well for pass protection (90.5) while Hubbard does falter here (43.3). 

Hubbard is probably the more realistic option as he's playing behind Miles Sanders while Stevenson is the lead back in NE. 

For what it might cost (5th or 6th), it'd be worthwhile to add someone that can contribute in a starting role over the next few weeks and add key depth to a position of significant importance to this offense for the long stretch. 

I don't think a tandem of Craig Reynolds and Ozigbo can do it over a long stretch and that even includes throwing Gibbs into the mix. 

Z Moss is another option unless Ind thinks they are playoff team.

J Kelley chargers unless they also view themselves as having a shot 

1 minute ago, detfan782004 said:

Z Moss is another option unless Ind thinks they are playoff team.

J Kelley chargers unless they also view themselves as having a shot 

Moss is a decent option too. Samaje Perine could also be an option although he's got about $3M for his contract, so he could be a bit rich for this role. 

We want to run the ball with power in order to set up play action. We want to impose our strength onto the other team while controlling the clock. Montgomery was able to do that with his size (5'11, 224). I like Reynolds as a RB3 overall. 

However, if we're going to be missing DM for let's say the next 6 weeks. We're matching up with:

1. Ravens
  2. Raiders
  3. Bye
  4. Chargers
  5. Bears
  6. Packers

Realistically, we're probably going to go through this stretch 3-2 (LV, CHI, GB - W; BAL, LAC - L). The trade deadline ends around the Raiders MNF game. 

Even if Gibbs does come back and is healthy, he wasn't drafted to be a bellcow that is going to hammer the middle of a defense to soften things up. 

25 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Rhamondre Stevenson is a really under-rated player.  His addition would really super-charge our already strong running game.

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

Rhamondre Stevenson is a really under-rated player.  His addition would really super-charge our already strong running game.

With what is happening in NE right now, it's not something that's totally out of the question either. I think it's the less likely one out of the 4 or 5 guys that we're now talking about (Moss, Stevenson, Hubbard, Perine, Kelley). We could also just stand pat and add someone from the streets. I don't think that's the wise move but we have to put our faith in Brad Holmes and the coaches. 

This would be a nice looking backfield group:

• RB1: Montgomery
  • RB2: Gibbs
  • RB3: Stevenson
  • RB4: Reynolds

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

With what is happening in NE right now, it's not something that's totally out of the question either. I think it's the less likely one out of the 4 or 5 guys that we're now talking about (Moss, Stevenson, Hubbard, Perine, Kelley). We could also just stand pat and add someone from the streets. I don't think that's the wise move but we have to put our faith in Brad Holmes and the coaches. 

This would be a nice looking backfield group:

• RB1: Montgomery
  • RB2: Gibbs
  • RB3: Stevenson
  • RB4: Reynolds

Best RB room in the league if that happened.