Trade Deadline 2023

Louis Friend

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

With what is happening in NE right now, it's not something that's totally out of the question either. I think it's the less likely one out of the 4 or 5 guys that we're now talking about (Moss, Stevenson, Hubbard, Perine, Kelley). We could also just stand pat and add someone from the streets. I don't think that's the wise move but we have to put our faith in Brad Holmes and the coaches. 

This would be a nice looking backfield group:

• RB1: Montgomery
  • RB2: Gibbs
  • RB3: Stevenson
  • RB4: Reynolds

What about adding someone who doesn't cost any picks like Leonard Fournette?  He had a solid year last year, can catch the ball, can pass protect, and isn't old but also wouldn't cost us a pick.  I think he would be a solid fill in as a lead back for a couple of weeks while Monty recovers and who knows when Gibbs will be back.  

James Robinson is another that could be a solid fill in for a few weeks.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

What about adding someone who doesn't cost any picks like Leonard Fournette?  He had a solid year last year, can catch the ball, can pass protect, and isn't old but also wouldn't cost us a pick.  I think he would be a solid fill in as a lead back for a couple of weeks while Monty recovers and who knows when Gibbs will be back.  

I had thought about Fournette but he's not on a NFL roster for a reason (apparently he's out of shape). 

James Robinson has struggled to stick around and it sounds like it's due to injury concerns. 

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I had thought about Fournette but he's not on a NFL roster for a reason (apparently he's out of shape). 

James Robinson has struggled to stick around and it sounds like it's due to injury concerns. 

Thats fair but I would at least try out Fournette and Robinson. Worst case is you find out Fournette is out of shape but best case you get a cheap replacement for a few games while Monty recovers. I wouldn't react to a likely two week injury by giving up assets for someone who will be 3rd on the depth chart down the stretch.  Heck, we have Benny  Snell on the practice squad who could come up and fill in for a couple games as he did his first couple of years in the league.  

Stevenson is pulling off 3.0 yards per carry this year in his first year as a lead back. 

Chubba had a good game this week but was meh last year when filling in for CMC.  In fact he was pretty much benched for Foreman who hasn't even dressed this year until this week. Also, he is under contract for cheap next year so why would the Panthers move him at this point?  I am not sure how much of an upgrade he would be at this point. 

Perine could be a solid option but again I don't really want to spend resources on a 1 maybe 2 week rental.  He has a 4.5M cap hit next year or 1.5M in dead money if we cut him.  

Zack Moss isn't going anywhere with how he has played in JT's absence and the fact they are 2nd in their division just one game out.  

So given all of the factors, I would easily try for those free options before trying to spend picks or players on any of these other options. 

17 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Thats fair but I would at least try out Fournette and Robinson. Worst case is you find out Fournette is out of shape but best case you get a cheap replacement for a few games while Monty recovers. I wouldn't react to a likely two week injury by giving up assets for someone who will be 3rd on the depth chart down the stretch.  Heck, we have Benny  Snell on the practice squad who could come up and fill in for a couple games as he did his first couple of years in the league.  

Stevenson is pulling off 3.0 yards per carry this year in his first year as a lead back. 

Chubba had a good game this week but was meh last year when filling in for CMC.  In fact he was pretty much benched for Foreman who hasn't even dressed this year until this week. Also, he is under contract for cheap next year so why would the Panthers move him at this point?  I am not sure how much of an upgrade he would be at this point. 

Perine could be a solid option but again I don't really want to spend resources on a 1 maybe 2 week rental.  He has a 4.5M cap hit next year or 1.5M in dead money if we cut him.  

Zack Moss isn't going anywhere with how he has played in JT's absence and the fact they are 2nd in their division just one game out.  

So given all of the factors, I would easily try for those free options before trying to spend picks or players on any of these other options. 

• Stevenson: He just ran for 4.6 yards against the Raiders (23rd ranked rush defense) and scored his second TD on the season. That offense is a mess and Mac Jones isn't challenging anyone. We're talking about a 6th or a 7th for someone that has produced, is still young and under contract at a cheap value for another year. 
  • Hubbard: He's shown flashes at times. We're not looking at adding a long-time future starter but someone that can fill in at RB1 for a period of time and also can be moved to RB3 when DM comes back. 

Fournette, Henderson and Robinson all would have to be in playing shape and pass a physical. It's a bit of a stretch for a few guys that are coming in off of the street.

An interesting name (but not sure what he provides in value) - Kenyan Drake. Currently sitting on the Ravens PS. He had a good 2022 but hasn't done much this year. He wouldn't cost us anything and is currently practiciting with an NFL roster (who also happens to be an upcoming opponent). 

59 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:
  • Stevenson: He just ran for 4.6 yards against the Raiders (23rd ranked rush defense) and scored his second TD on the season. That offense is a mess and Mac Jones isn't challenging anyone. We're talking about a 6th or a 7th for someone that has produced, is still young and under contract at a cheap value for another year. 
  • Hubbard: He's shown flashes at times. We're not looking at adding a long-time future starter but someone that can fill in at RB1 for a period of time and also can be moved to RB3 when DM comes back. 

Fournette, Henderson and Robinson all would have to be in playing shape and pass a physical. It's a bit of a stretch for a few guys that are coming in off of the street.

An interesting name (but not sure what he provides in value) - Kenyan Drake. Currently sitting on the Ravens PS. He had a good 2022 but hasn't done much this year. He wouldn't cost us anything and is currently practiciting with an NFL roster (who also happens to be an upcoming opponent). 

Henderson just signed with the XFL so he should be in playing shape.  The others if they have interest in playing, would be making sure they were in shape.  Its not ideal, but again, we are comparing them to others who aren't doing great either.  Yet they would take some type of draft compensation.  My point is that I don't see them as a good enough upgrade over Gibbs even and there is a good chance Gibbs is back this week or next.  A guy like Robinson or Fournette would give more of the pound the rock ability that Monty brought but would be free for likely similar results. 

I will say I was a big Stevenson fan, but given his age and cost, I don't see New England dumping him for a 6th round pick.  He was a 3rd round pick that although he hasn't been great, has been good enough to keep and has one more year on his deal.  I would think if they move anyone, it would be Zeke, which I would be open to as well but it would have to be a 6th for zeke and a 7th type deal.  

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Kelley would be better than Robinson imo if Chargers would move him.

17 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Kelley would be better than Robinson imo if Chargers would move him.

Josh Kelley took over for Ekeler for a few games this year and did about what Craig Reynolds did Sunday.  He is just as bad an unproven as anyone else being talked about.  I am good with just adding Ibrahim opposed to giving any value to LAC for Kelley.  I'd also take any of the free agents over him given they have produced more at some point in their careers at least.  

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Guessing we would have to send a similar pick back to them that they sent us or slightly higher.  Not the worst idea but not likely at all given we gave up on him, I doubt he would keep that confidence in coming back here.  It also may be the system they run is better suited for him since he didnt seem to fit in ours. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Guessing we would have to send a similar pick back to them that they sent us or slightly higher.  Not the worst idea but not likely at all given we gave up on him, I doubt he would keep that confidence in coming back here.  It also may be the system they run is better suited for him since he didnt seem to fit in ours. 

It is good to see Jeff Okudah find his footing in Atlanta.  However, one of the things that messed him up, other than Matt Patricia, was the fact that he never showed "CB amnesia".  If he got burned on one play, it seemed to really affect his confidence and lead to other bad plays.  When things when off the rails with Jeff Okudah, they went really off-the-rails.  He needed a new team and a fresh start.  Bringing him back probably won't work out well.

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

It is good to see Jeff Okudah find his footing in Atlanta.  However, one of the things that messed up up, other than Matt Patricia, was the fact that he never showed "CB amnesia".  If he got burned on one play, it seemed to really affect his confidence and lead to other bad plays.  When things when off the rails with Jeff Okudah, they went really off-the-rails.  He needed a new team and a fresh start.  Bringing him back probably won't work out well.

I don't think he'd want to come back anyway... when you've had a bad period of time in your life, you're probably not going to be too thrilled to come back to it if you've moved on and things are better. You're a lot more likely to reminisce and return if you've had success like Marvin and Graham have done (the current environment also helps in supporting that). 

• Like 2

On 10/16/2023 at 3:51 PM, Karnage84 said:

James Robinson was signed by the Green Bay Packers and Darrell Henderson signed by the Rams, so guess they were in decent enough shape.