Trade Deadline 2023

Louis Friend

26 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The Lions D-Line is getting pressure.  Their issue is that they stay engaged in their blocks too long.  This is something we have been seeing a lot this year.  If they can do a better job of disengaging with their blockers sooner sacks will start happening in bunches.

If they have not figured out how to disengage after 5 games I doubt some magic lightbulb is going to switch.  They just are not that talented.  They are good depth guys and nothing more.

1 minute ago, detfan782004 said:

If they do not look at DE because of Houston coming back that is a fail.   I would be totally shocked and heavily disappointed if they did not add a DE.  It is a more glaring need.  DE pressure helps the secondary too.

We are 4th in the league in pressures, 7th in pressure % and 14th in sacks.  We are getting close, bothering the QB but not getting home as much, however the last three weeks we have given we had 1 sack through two games and 13 the last three weeks.  

In other words, I don't think we have a huge glaring need there.  Could we use an upgrade?  Sure but at what cost?  James Houston when used as a pass rusher was one of the best in the league last year so counting on him to make an impact when he recovers is not a bad decision, especially if we continue to get the production out of our line that we have the last three weeks.  

7 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I would rather upgrade our DTs. Benito Jones is just not it. Martin has not developed to be better than Jones yet. But you can't replace pressure from up the middle.

I wonder if the Giants would move Leonard Williams.  Although he has a big contract and dead money next year but not sure how/who that impacts in a trade.  

4 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

At what cost though?

Given the importance that Brad Holmes has placed on building through the draft, it would be surprising to see him give up a lot future draft capital in a trade.  Leonard Williams is in his 9th season but is still a solid player.  It might not happen until the off-season but bringing in Christian Wilkins seems to make more sense.  He is in the prime of his career and has been playing at a really high level.  The Dolphins haven't extended him and might be hampered by some of the other big money contracts they have given out recently.

4 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

How should they feel good?

there is no pass rush outside Hutch. It's the biggest issue this defense has 

None of those players listed would be more than bench fodder on most decent pass rush charts 

Problem is, none of them are worth much as trade value. Our best pure pass rusher outside of Hutch is Houston who is on IR and very cheap. 

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

Problem is, none of them are worth much as trade value. Our best pure pass rusher outside of Hutch is Houston who is on IR and very cheap. 

Yea he is cheap.

im not sure the right answer but I don't think relying on current roster per say is right angle.

guess we will see what they do or don't do soon 

15 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

That would not be bad then 

The big thing for me would be the voidable years.  He has $6M in dead money next year in a voidable year and if that follows him even if NYG paid his bonus already, it would make the option to make a move for him iffy.  If he wants to come in a trade and sign a 3 year $35M extension or something along those lines, I'd be all for it.

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

The big thing for me would be the voidable years.  He has $6M in dead money next year in a voidable year and if that follows him even if NYG paid his bonus already, it would make the option to make a move for him iffy.  If he wants to come in a trade and sign a 3 year $35M extension or something along those lines, I'd be all for it.

Yea that doesn't sound too bad