The Week 5 Thread: 0-4 Bears at 2-2 Commanders - THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL on PRIME - GIF THEME now DROOPY

MikeT14

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

You watched the game last night, I did not — so perhaps I’m misunderstanding what happened.

I did check the stats at halftime, and prior to a pointless throw to Thomas with 3 seconds left in the half, he was something like 8/11 for 47 yards and a pick in our territory that led to a TD. 

At that point, it was 27-3. And he’d put up just over 4 yards per attempt — which is unspeakably dreadful — and again helped to put points on the board for the opposition (not that they needed it, apparently).

He had a huge second half, which is cool. It’s better than not having a huge second half. But how much are we really supposed to take away from big second half numbers against a bad defense in a game where we never got closer than 10 points behind them? It just feels like empty calories. Maybe it wasn’t, I don’t know.

We did try to run the ball in the 1st half. We sucked at it because...OL.

With the defense asleep it left us down 20-3 pretty early and by then we were one-dimensional. Sam was getting killed or dodging rushers almost as soon as he hit his back foot on his drop back, because...OL.

And even when he did the smart thing and climb the pocket (one of the things he got killed for not doing earlier), our interior OL just led their guy right into him.

And yes, he missed on some throws and missed some open guys. He also had some poorly placed throws (like the slant that should've been a TD but he threw too late. Those things will hopefully get corrected. Some of his throws were right where they needed to be though and guys just dropped them. 

Since this is his 6th start, he's doing better than some other high profile QBs have done in their 6 starts. So while I agree with you that we need to ensure that we also hold his feet to the fire and expect better outcomes from him, I still think we're dealing with a young QB making his (now) 7th start next week. So I will tend to cut him a bit of slack...for now.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The thought process behind drafting Mathis in R2 was that we were overpaying for Matt Ioannidis to be our #3 OT & we lost Tim Settle to Buffalo in FA. So, they needed a 3rd DT for rotation. What’s sad is we can’t even say if he was taken a round too early or not bc he hasn’t been healthy enough to play.

I didn’t agree with cutting Ioannidis to make room for when we traded for Wentz but that’s what they did. 

We play 6 DBs often and Quan Martin is versatile. He played CB & S in college. He didn’t look good in the preseason but  when you play 6 DBs at times you need depth.

Again, I didn’t agree with the selection but that’s the reasoning behind it. I would’ve taken one of the OL available or a LB.

IIRC we never even offered Settle a contract.

9 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

IIRC we never even offered Settle a contract.

That was the off-season where Mayhew said they didn't make offers to any of their free agents because they wanted them to go out and get offers so they could counter them...yeah.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

You watched the game last night, I did not — so perhaps I’m misunderstanding what happened.

I did check the stats at halftime, and prior to a pointless throw to Thomas with 3 seconds left in the half, he was something like 8/11 for 47 yards and a pick in our territory that led to a TD. 

At that point, it was 27-3. And he’d put up just over 4 yards per attempt — which is unspeakably dreadful — and again helped to put points on the board for the opposition (not that they needed it, apparently).

He had a huge second half, which is cool. It’s better than not having a huge second half. But how much are we really supposed to take away from big second half numbers against a bad defense in a game where we never got closer than 10 points behind them? It just feels like empty calories. Maybe it wasn’t, I don’t know.

I mean, the guy threw 51 passes and completed 75% of them for nearly 400 yards and 2 TDs...that's pretty good. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That was the off-season where Mayhew said they didn't make offers to any of their free agents because they wanted them to go out and get offers so they could counter them...yeah.

Martys and Ron = SOOPER GENIUSES

Every time they do genius stuff like that, it reminds me of this clip

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I loved watching his effort. I think that him trying to do too much last night led to him blowing containment at times. These are the plays I mentioned earlier that I think he'd like to have back. But he was definitely one of only two bright spots in our entire defense last night. He and Sweat were the only guys who actually showed up to play.

12 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I loved watching his effort. I think that him trying to do too much last night led to him blowing containment at times. These are the plays I mentioned earlier that I think he'd like to have back. But he was definitely one of only two bright spots in our entire defense last night. He and Sweat were the only guys who actually showed up to play.

Yep. They’re going to have to figure out how to pay them both. Sigh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Yep. They’re going to have to figure out how to pay them both. Sigh. 

True. But if I'm deciding which one to pay the most, it's Sweat right now. He's been better for a longer period of time. 

There's still some time for them to distinguish themselves between each other. And still time for either of them to take a dive in their performance. But like I said before, having to decide which one (or both) to keep is a problem I'd love to have vs. not having any DEs I wanted to keep.

55 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

True. But if I'm deciding which one to pay the most, it's Sweat right now. He's been better for a longer period of time. 

There's still some time for them to distinguish themselves between each other. And still time for either of them to take a dive in their performance. But like I said before, having to decide which one (or both) to keep is a problem I'd love to have vs. not having any DEs I wanted to keep.

You know which one I would pay lol

• Like 1