2023 Week # 5 Steelers Vs. Ravens GDT Thread

Steeler Hitman

Who Ya Got This Week?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Can the Steelers Bounce Back Against the Ravens?

• Yes. They will somehow get it right and win a close one.
    • No. They have to many internal problems to beat a slid Ravens Team.
    • I Have no clue? This team is so up and down. who knows?

That was a sick game to be at.

Crowd was as sleepy/quiet as I’ve ever experienced in the first half. A couple half hearted “fire Canada” chants broke out and every negative play was followed with a sea of Boos.

2nd half completely different story. I genuinely felt like we had an impact there in the 4th quarter. Crowd lost it during renegade and Watt ripping his helmet off on that game sealing sack was euphoric.

Go Steelers. Fire Canada. 

• Like 4

this is good news since Ogunjobi is playing at a high level.  To know he is 100% though is even better news. 

Finally, defensive tackle Larry Ogunjobi went down in the second half with a stinger, but was also able to return. He said he’ll be fine going forward and also that his foot injury from training camp is now 100% healed.

• Like 1

Some random thoughts on a rewatch:

Two coaching decisions that were questioned:

Going for two after the Pickens TD: I will contend that this was the right move.  The TD makes it 14-10.  If we get the 2 point conversion then it's 16-10.  Either way we know Baltimore needs a TD to potentially win.  But if we go for 1, at 15-10 a Ravens TD and 2PC makes it 18-15 which means we need a TD to win.  If we convert the 2PC then the Ravens can at best make is 18-16, meaning we only need a FG with potentially 1:20 left on the clock.

Kneeling before the FG: Number 1, no matter what the Ravens needed to use their TO's.  Let's say there's no penalty.  You avoid a potential turnover on a fumble from a botched snap, botched exchange, blown up play, good defensive punch out.  The snap happened with 0:59 left on the clock.  So let's say Kenny takes the ball and kneels at 0:57.  Play clock is :40 seconds so you can sit and call TO right as it expires taking the game clock to 0:17 due to Baltimore being out of TO's.  FG's generally take 3 seconds off the clock, so after the deep kick Baltimore has 0:14 to go 75 yards against prevent defense.

For as much hate that Tomlin has gotten this week, those are the small type of outsmarting decisions that didn't impact the outcome of the game, that is they mattered would get recognized as brilliant.

Post game comments:

Holy schnickies, Kenny said something I don't think he meant to, but in the middle of talking about the game winning TD drive he said "If the play lets me audible, and I see something, I will do it, and this play had allowed me to do what I needed."

Also Kenny, he said that they spent a good amount of time this week working on how to beat the press man cover-0.  Him and Pickens talked about what their options are based on what they see from the DB's and who's where.

Harris vs Warren:

Whooo boy do we have stuff to unwrap here.  Warren is really benefiting from situational football, so much so it's like teams forget he's on the field.

First some of my personal charting:

Najee: 12 personnel 60% of snaps, Man motioning into the line 30% of snaps, 11 personnel about 6%, open set 2%, "bronco" (2 RBs) 1%, 10 personnel 1%

Warren: 11 personnel 70% of snaps, man motioning into the line 5% of snaps, 12 personnel 10% of snaps, 10 personnel 10% of snaps, open set 4% of snaps, "bronco" 1% of snaps 

Those numbers are rough numbers through the first 5 games.

Here's the impact on what they face:

Najee - At the snap averages 7.8 men in the box.

Warren - At the snap averages 6.4 men in the box.

What's the mean?  On the average run snap, Najee has 7 blockers for 8 defenders, Warren has 6 blockers for 6 defenders.

As for NextGenStats:

Najee has 2 yards over expected, Warren has -3 yards over expected.  Najee has a 3.9 yards average, Warren 3.6 yards.

The interesting one is time behind the LOS.  Najee is at 2.97, Warren at 2.7.  You would think that's good for Warren, "hey he hits the hole hard and fast".  But when Najee sees 3% more 8+man boxes along with more men in the box on average, it means Najee actually takes the time to let the play develop.

It's a great 1-2 combo to have, but be careful with this "Warren should start and get a bulk of the carries" talk.  Because I would bet if you flip the roles and the numbers, we would easily be saying that Harris should start.  Football is such an ultimate team sport and what they are seeing speaks volumes to it.

Players, individually, some thoughts:

Kenny Pickett - There's bad, and there's good.  Something that I noticed yesterday tied to the comment earlier I made.  When Kenny at the line has the freedom to change protections, make route adjustments, even fully audible - he looks really comfortable and delivers some better balls.  However there's some plays where you can see he doesn't have that ability, and you can see he looks less comfortable at the line because it's like he knows the play called doesn't match well against the defense presented.  Kenny may have his share of physical limitations but his ability to see this stuff and put himself in good positions is there.  I would love to see him in an offense where he has the freedom to adjust protections freely, has a kill call for most pass downs, maybe even goes into plays with 2 options that he can switch into at the line based on what the defense gives.

Joey Porter Jr. - He's a stud in the making. In about 10 snaps on Flowers, Joey allowed at most about 2-3 yards of separation.  For a player who's been getting about 4-5 that's awesome.  His INT on OBJ was fantastic too.  He pinched the sideline to use it as a defender, kept his hips open to LJ to make it easier to defend in breaking routes, and let his length do the work to take away the back shoulder.  I heard some Ravens fans at the bar complain about LJ's throw - I think the only way to not result in an INT on that play was to not throw at OBJ.

Minkah Fitzpatrick - Let the man play CF.  Just let him.  You can see it.  With Neal and Kazee back there, on every big play the two of them just don't know who was supposed to do what.  Communication has broken down.  When Minkah is back there he calls out all adjustments because he can see everything from back there.  Add in his mastery of film watching, deep zone is the best place for him.  I think moving PP into a TE coverage role/2-deep role with Neal being in on run downs is the move to make.

Broderick Jones - Dude showed it.  Just did.  He's the franchise LT we've needed.

Right side of the line - Woof.  Cole, Herbig, Okorafor you are not it.  Especially Okorafor.  Dude has no mean streak.  He's all finess and is not a fit for what the offense wants to be.  Herbig did his best, but with Cole and Okorafor being as bad as they were, he's pulled down by association.  Moore (injured) was a trainwreck in the little bit they needed from him in that spot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Broderick Jones - Dude showed it.  Just did.  He's the franchise LT we've needed.

very good news as the texans game wasn't highlight material, this game may have been but they never showed replays of him and DW in the run game.  Good to see Jones play this good, now if they can get the run goingmore over to his side with Seumalo (and DW sometimes) 

Right side of the line - Woof.  Cole, Herbig, Okorafor you are not it.  Especially Okorafor.  Dude has no mean streak.  He's all finess and is not a fit for what the offense wants to be.  Herbig did his best, but with Cole and Okorafor being as bad as they were, he's pulled down by association.  Moore (injured) was a trainwreck in the little bit they needed from him in that spot.

this is what I have thought as well. The OL needs attitude and chuks is the opposite of what they need, and maybe a reason they as not that good.  Herbig shows at times, but cole and chuks are not the answer.  I would prefer them trading Chuks and let someone else play RT, even Moore if he gets healthy and move on.  Try Herbig at C

the bold can't be said any better IMO, but why don't they do something about this now?  Spencer Anderson at RT or go for a trade. I think with Jones, Seumalo and Herbig, thats 3 maulers but they are brought down by the others around them. How did Seumalo get rated so low in this season? Probably because he had bad players around him. 

Jones, Seumalo, Herbig, Daniels , new RT (perhaps a trade)            Herbig and Daniels could switch if required. 

The OL has a ways to go and it might come down to more of who is out there than blaming Meyer . 

Joey Porter Jr. - He's a stud in the making. In about 10 snaps on Flowers, Joey allowed at most about 2-3 yards of separation.  For a player who's been getting about 4-5 that's awesome.  His INT on OBJ was fantastic too.  He pinched the sideline to use it as a defender, kept his hips open to LJ to make it easier to defend in breaking routes, and let his length do the work to take away the back shoulder.  I heard some Ravens fans at the bar complain about LJ's throw - I think the only way to not result in an INT on that play was to not throw at OBJ.

and he still sits on the sidelines way too much, thats the coaches fault. That pass though, seemed bad, but JPj had nice coverage as well.   Jackson hasn't been all that great this year IMO but he also had lots of drops in this game. He caught his helmet when he threw it down better than his hyped WR caught the football in game  O.o

Minkah Fitzpatrick - Let the man play CF.  Just let him.  You can see it. 

coaching again. This is obvious, let Minkah be CF and figure out the rest.  What is it with the defensive staff not knowing what players to have play where. Same applies to the DL with Leal, Loudermilk, Watts.  Benton should play more as well either NT, DT or 5 tech DE, he should be out there all the time. Then of course consider gunner, why is he on the team still?

your post really sums up how I feel as well. There could be more, but already balding as it is.

Highsmith (from SN)

But his game against the Ravens was more than just an ordinary game. Against standout left tackle Ronnie Stanley, Highsmith dominated all afternoon. He registered 11 pressures, tied for the highest amount in a game this season. Moreover, Highsmith has 30 pressures on the season, which is tied for the most in the NFL. It’s clear that Highsmith is not just playing well; he’s taking his game to another level. The rivalry style got Highsmith excited to play at his best.

“This is Steelers-Ravens, man,” Highsmith said. “It’s the best rivalry in the NFL. It’s something that about around these guys today because we were playing with a lot of emotion, a lot of swag. It’s a good win today.”

The story of Alex Highsmith and his story is a fascinating one. He came in unrecruited to Charlotte, and now, he is playing like a star in the NFL. His arsenal of pass-rush moves has expanded dramatically as his career continues. Even to the point now where Highsmith has all of the tools to win in different ways. That includes power, counters, inside, outside, bend, speed, you name it, Highsmith has it.

8 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

very good news as the texans game wasn't highlight material, this game may have been but they never showed replays of him and DW in the run game.  Good to see Jones play this good, now if they can get the run goingmore over to his side with Seumalo (and DW sometimes) 

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a lost that he needs to clean up, but he showed enough for me.  I know the Ravens pass rush isn’t the greatest but he gave up no pressures, got movement in the run game, and wasn’t penalized.

9 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

this is what I have thought as well. The OL needs attitude and chuks is the opposite of what they need, and maybe a reason they as not that good.  Herbig shows at times, but cole and chuks are not the answer.  I would prefer them trading Chuks and let someone else play RT, even Moore if he gets healthy and move on.  Try Herbig at C

the bold can't be said any better IMO, but why don't they do something about this now?  Spencer Anderson at RT or go for a trade. I think with Jones, Seumalo and Herbig, thats 3 maulers but they are brought down by the others around them. How did Seumalo get rated so low in this season? Probably because he had bad players around him. 

Jones, Seumalo, Herbig, Daniels , new RT (perhaps a trade)            Herbig and Daniels could switch if required. 

The OL has a ways to go and it might come down to more of who is out there than blaming Meyer . 

Nothing is changing in season.  Maybe move Daniels to C (his natural place) and Herbig to RG. But I wouldn’t expect a change here.

10 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

and he still sits on the sidelines way too much, thats the coaches fault. That pass though, seemed bad, but JPj had nice coverage as well.   Jackson hasn't been all that great this year IMO but he also had lots of drops in this game. He caught his helmet when he threw it down better than his hyped WR caught the football in game  O.o

First off, yea maybe the coaches could play him sooner, but he had a role early and it didn’t present itself enough.  If he goes back to the sidelines then its a problem.

11 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

coaching again. This is obvious, let Minkah be CF and figure out the rest.  What is it with the defensive staff not knowing what players to have play where. Same applies to the DL with Leal, Loudermilk, Watts.  Benton should play more as well either NT, DT or 5 tech DE, he should be out there all the time. Then of course consider gunner, why is he on the team still?

The issue with Minkah’s thing is that it’s coaches overthinking things.  They are trying to use him like they used Edmunds, but the problem is Neal and Kazee aren’t good enough to cover for the potential of broken coverage.

Benton is playing a lot. FWIW

First off, yea maybe the coaches could play him sooner, but he had a role early and it didn’t present itself enough.  If he goes back to the sidelines then its a problem.

a thought of this staff is to keep players repressed and also healthy so when the time arrives, they are healthy and ready. In the meantime, it's just getting by and letting pencilled in vets have issues all while knowing there are better options but they won't present themselves until injuries or if the bad play goes on for extended periods.

Nothing is changing in season.  Maybe move Daniels to C (his natural place) and Herbig to RG. But I wouldn’t expect a change here.

expecting is the key word. If there are injuries, then it has to happen. However, if they really observe chuks as a weak link, it might be time to try someone at RT to warn chuks.   Maybe chuks gets replaced by Moore due to injury  just as Moore got replaced by Jones due to injury . Never know how it all plays out, but chuks is replaceable no doubt, just who  will replace him. 

The issue with Minkah’s thing is that it’s coaches overthinking things.  They are trying to use him like they used Edmunds, but the problem is Neal and Kazee aren’t good enough to cover for the potential of broken coverage.

Benton is playing a lot. FWIW

just let Minkah be Minkah  FS CF type, if they do otherwise they are wrong and everyone knows it

Benton: should be on the field as much as he can handle.  Ogunjobi is a solid DL and hopes are Heyward returns intact . Still would prefer a UFA /trade and or Fehoko to also be on the roster to replace  Loudermilk, Leal  or especially Watts as this will help the run defence

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

a thought of this staff is to keep players repressed and also healthy so when the time arrives, they are healthy and ready. In the meantime, it's just getting by and letting pencilled in vets have issues all while knowing there are better options but they won't present themselves until injuries or if the bad play goes on for extended periods.

Eh......no not exactly.  Tomlin expects a certain level of preparation for the game and with rookies he won't commit to using you outside of a limited role until you can show it.  Cowher was the exact same way.  The difference is what it looks like when you take someone at the position when there's depth (Cam Heyward) vs when there isn't (Joey Porter) and they seize the chance and look good.

5 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

expecting is the key word. If there are injuries, then it has to happen. However, if they really observe chuks as a weak link, it might be time to try someone at RT to warn chuks.   Maybe chuks gets replaced by Moore due to injury  just as Moore got replaced by Jones due to injury . Never know how it all plays out, but chuks is replaceable no doubt, just who  will replace him. 

Which will be an offseason thing.  Also Moore somehow rated lower at RT than LT according to PFF.

5 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Benton: should be on the field as much as he can handle.  Ogunjobi is a solid DL and hopes are Heyward returns intact . Still would prefer a UFA /trade and or Fehoko to also be on the roster to replace  Loudermilk, Leal  or especially Watts as this will help the run defence

Just saw an official break down and he was on the field for 50% of the snaps, the third highest DT behind Larry O and Adams.  The issue with the run defense this week was actually edge contain as Holcomb, Highsmith, and yes Watt got washed out on a few options by being too aggressive.

Leal's a square peg in a round hole right now.  He's more a 4-3 base end being asked to do some 3-4 tasks, especially in the run. Loudermilk only played 13 snaps and Watts only 18.  Fehko would take snaps from Adams who actually had a nice game.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Some random thoughts on a rewatch:

Two coaching decisions that were questioned:

Going for two after the Pickens TD: I will contend that this was the right move.  The TD makes it 14-10.  If we get the 2 point conversion then it's 16-10.  Either way we know Baltimore needs a TD to potentially win.  But if we go for 1, at 15-10 a Ravens TD and 2PC makes it 18-15 which means we need a TD to win.  If we convert the 2PC then the Ravens can at best make is 18-16, meaning we only need a FG with potentially 1:20 left on the clock.

I definitely think it was the right call from an analytics standpoint. However, from my gut with points at a premium, I may have taken the sure 1 point. Still football left and a FG either wayhelps win. Assuming the Ravens scored a TD it is 17-15. A FG wins it. You had two of the games best out there on both sides. I understand both sides. More my gut especially after the Ravens miscue for points earlier on 4th down.

Kneeling before the FG: Number 1, no matter what the Ravens needed to use their TO's.  Let's say there's no penalty.  You avoid a potential turnover on a fumble from a botched snap, botched exchange, blown up play, good defensive punch out.  The snap happened with 0:59 left on the clock.  So let's say Kenny takes the ball and kneels at 0:57.  Play clock is :40 seconds so you can sit and call TO right as it expires taking the game clock to 0:17 due to Baltimore being out of TO's.  FG's generally take 3 seconds off the clock, so after the deep kick Baltimore has 0:14 to go 75 yards against prevent defense.

Agree. 

For as much hate that Tomlin has gotten this week, those are the small type of outsmarting decisions that didn't impact the outcome of the game, that is they mattered would get recognized as brilliant.

I think most of us get frustrated at seeing a top tier coach get out-coached and out-schemed at times. There is elite level coaching in the NFL.  I have a ton of respect and admiration for coach Harbaugh as well. Those guys have won SB's and are at the upper echelon of coaching despite some of the Rams and 49'ers coaching tree coordinators and coaches.

Coach T had a bounce back week. The team won a game they should have lost. He gets creamed when they underwhelm, so he should get credit when they do small things that help steel a victory.

Post game comments:

Holy schnickies, Kenny said something I don't think he meant to, but in the middle of talking about the game winning TD drive he said "If the play lets me audible, and I see something, I will do it, and this play had allowed me to do what I needed."

Also Kenny, he said that they spent a good amount of time this week working on how to beat the press man cover-0.  Him and Pickens talked about what their options are based on what they see from the DB's and who's where.

I think he was trying to say he has some flexibility and control. He also said that the planning and opponent help to dictate that.  He has to grow into the game. Remember that was only game 17 of the Kenny Pickett era.  He is not an experienced Big Ben with 17 years of experience.  

I think they where better prepared because they know the Ravens and vice-versa. The Steelers were very oportunistic in capitolizing on Raven mistakes. The two dropped TD passes and other drops could have turned this into another blow-out in the wrong direction. A win is a win, but no one should be breaking their arm patting themselves on the back. There's a lot of work and areas to improve upon.

Harris vs Warren:

Whooo boy do we have stuff to unwrap here.  Warren is really benefiting from situational football, so much so it's like teams forget he's on the field.

Absolutely. I think when people say he should replace Najee more, they forget that he then becomes more of the focus in pre-game preparation, etc. I love his role and the spark he provides.  The OL still has not played a complete game yet.

First some of my personal charting:

Najee: 12 personnel 60% of snaps, Man motioning into the line 30% of snaps, 11 personnel about 6%, open set 2%, "bronco" (2 RBs) 1%, 10 personnel 1%

Warren: 11 personnel 70% of snaps, man motioning into the line 5% of snaps, 12 personnel 10% of snaps, 10 personnel 10% of snaps, open set 4% of snaps, "bronco" 1% of snaps 

Those numbers are rough numbers through the first 5 games.

Here's the impact on what they face:

Najee - At the snap averages 7.8 men in the box.

Warren - At the snap averages 6.4 men in the box.

What's the mean?  On the average run snap, Najee has 7 blockers for 8 defenders, Warren has 6 blockers for 6 defenders.

Great stuff there man!  Sometimes numbers can lie, but those numbers make a compelling argument with production and the eye test. Those numbers tell a story.  The thing for the Steelers OC and staff to do is to create more favorable situations for both to run out of. Najee looked like a one-man wrecking crew in the third quarter last week and did what Warren did this game. This is a solid to very good 1-2 punch if the OL can get fixed.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

As for NextGenStats:

Najee has 2 yards over expected, Warren has -3 yards over expected.  Najee has a 3.9 yards average, Warren 3.6 yards.

The interesting one is time behind the LOS.  Najee is at 2.97, Warren at 2.7.  You would think that's good for Warren, "hey he hits the hole hard and fast".  But when Najee sees 3% more 8+man boxes along with more men in the box on average, it means Najee actually takes the time to let the play develop.

Confirms what I have been saying as I hear many say to replace Najee and he isn't doing well, etc.  Guy is trying his best and has not complained, pouted, or threw the OL under the bus. He called the team out for playing soft.  He was correct. They got out-played against Baltimore, but yet didn't play soft like they did against Houston.

It's a great 1-2 combo to have, but be careful with this "Warren should start and get a bulk of the carries" talk.  Because I would bet if you flip the roles and the numbers, we would easily be saying that Harris should start.  Football is such an ultimate team sport and what they are seeing speaks volumes to it.

We are on the same page there and thank you for backing a lot of your argument (our argument actually)😁😉 that Najee's production and eforts are not a bad as they look and there is more to it.

Players, individually, some thoughts:

Kenny Pickett - There's bad, and there's good.  Something that I noticed yesterday tied to the comment earlier I made.  When Kenny at the line has the freedom to change protections, make route adjustments, even fully audible - he looks really comfortable and delivers some better balls. 

This was also backed up by the linemand saying that he made some really good adjustments and reads for the OL as to what the Ravens defense was doing.  This was something that Ben was really good at, It;s hard to expect essentially a rookie (17 games) to be nearly as compitent and comfortable while still dealing with his own issues.

However there's some plays where you can see he doesn't have that ability, and you can see he looks less comfortable at the line because it's like he knows the play called doesn't match well against the defense presented.  Kenny may have his share of physical limitations but his ability to see this stuff and put himself in good positions is there.  I would love to see him in an offense where he has the freedom to adjust protections freely, has a kill call for most pass downs, maybe even goes into plays with 2 options that he can switch into at the line based on what the defense gives.

Stop!!!! You are being a creative coach/coordinator. 😉 One thing that resonated from this press conference and game despite the struggles was that Kenny seemed "prepared" for what our opponent was going to do. He talked about the zero coverage played by the Ravens, but we would like to hear more preparations and adjustments to what are opponents are doing.

I saw a lot of runs going right and roll outs left. It's just me, but I was thinking the opposite. Isaac and Broderick are road grader types.Throw Washington over there as well. Here's another novel idea, try to get your 6'8 275 TE the ball on some passes to get him involved. There are weapons, plays, and yardage to made that would improve player and offensive success. The creativity has to be there to change from some of the obvious.

Time to let him start. He will take some lumps, but his upside is far greater. Coach T mentioned bringing the young guys along slowly, but out of neccessity (injuries and poor play), some of these guys can help the team win NOW!

Minkah Fitzpatrick - Let the man play CF.  Just let him.  You can see it.  With Neal and Kazee back there, on every big play the two of them just don't know who was supposed to do what.  Communication has broken down.  When Minkah is back there he calls out all adjustments because he can see everything from back there.  Add in his mastery of film watching, deep zone is the best place for him.  I think moving PP into a TE coverage role/2-deep role with Neal being in on run downs is the move to make.

Agree. Maybe having Porter out there as well will allow this.

Great rebound from last week and you got a glimpse of what can be. Dude is just 21. He hasn't even gotten his grown man strength yet.😱

I expected more from Herbig. I really thought that he would be a sneaky acquisition that would potentially steal time in the IOL rotation from Daniels and or Cole. I was never a big Chuks fan, and he hasn't been the same since Munchak left. We need a big dancing bear who can road grade over there and a franchise C. You can't get everything in a year, but I thought the OL would be better than they have been especially running the ball.

Good research and time invested. I definitely appreciated reading this and the time you put into researching all of this.

Edited by Steeler Hitman
Type-o

It kind of makes me sick that we are on the cusp of 1st place in our division.   I know that it says more about the abysmal quality of the AFC North right now, but lucking into wins like we did yesterday is only going to hurt us long term.   If anyone on the Ravens catch yesterday, we lose that game by 2 scores.   We lucked out similarly with Cleveland, and several games last year on our winning streak. 

13 minutes ago, 43M said:

It kind of makes me sick that we are on the cusp of 1st place in our division.   I know that it says more about the abysmal quality of the AFC North right now, but lucking into wins like we did yesterday is only going to hurt us long term.   If anyone on the Ravens catch yesterday, we lose that game by 2 scores.   We lucked out similarly with Cleveland, and several games last year on our winning streak. 

we're the freaking anti-chargers of the regular season lmao

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, August4th said:

we're the freaking anti-chargers of the regular season lmao

and a bit healthier if you can imagine

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

Canada is still employed...

and upset GP got the TD. Something wrong there, maybe he is a suspect on this team