2007 Patriots

mdonnelly21

I find it wild that they are 1 game away from becoming the majority greatest team of all time and certainly the greatest offense. 

Now that they lost the most important game of the season where do you rank them as an offense and where do you rank them overall? 

I don't see how the 1985 Bears aren't the greatest team of all time when you look at both sides of the ball. 

Best single season defense of all time combined with Walter Payton on the other side a top 3 RB of all time. 

I'd probably go like this 

1. 1985 Bears 

2. 1989 49ers (You can pretty much include 88) 

3. 1967 Steelers 

4. 1993 Cowboys 

5. 1962 Packers 

I don't have the 07 Pats in my top 10 as a result of not winning the SB. When all of the teams in my top 10 would have defeated the 2007 Giants on any given Sunday. 

Patriots that first third of the season were a lot more bonkers than the final third where the offense while still great, did dial it back a bit. If the Patriots team that was put on display earlier that year kept on humming, or at lest showed up in the SB, then they probably do win it in a landslide. 

Oh well. I'd like to think everyone other than Patriots fans were Giants fans that day. 

44 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Patriots that first third of the season were a lot more bonkers than the final third where the offense while still great, did dial it back a bit. If the Patriots team that was put on display earlier that year kept on humming, or at lest showed up in the SB, then they probably do win it in a landslide. 

Oh well. I'd like to think everyone other than Patriots fans were Giants fans that day. 

I was not a Patriots fan, but it put me in a moment where I was rooting for them because I wanted to see the first undefeated team of all time or rather the first 21-0 season. 

It was that year when they acquired Randy Moss where Brady shed the league wide premise that he's not just a "System QB" or just a "Game manager" 

That's when I started to shift my focus and start thinking he might actually be on the same level as Peyton Manning was at the time. 

Not that it's "easy" to make the Super Bowl, but they definitely lost their mojo later in the season. Randy Moss was already an underwhelming postseason performer for the Vikings, but his 2007 playoff was one of the worst chokes of all time. 94 yards in three games, with his only TD due to Corey Webster slipping.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I find it wild that they are 1 game away from becoming the majority greatest team of all time and certainly the greatest offense. 

Now that they lost the most important game of the season where do you rank them as an offense and where do you rank them overall? 

I don't see how the 1985 Bears aren't the greatest team of all time when you look at both sides of the ball. 

Best single season defense of all time combined with Walter Payton on the other side a top 3 RB of all time. 

I'd probably go like this 

1. 1985 Bears 

2. 1989 49ers (You can pretty much include 88) 

3. 1967 Steelers 

4. 1993 Cowboys 

5. 1962 Packers 

I don't have the 07 Pats in my top 10 as a result of not winning the SB. When all of the teams in my top 10 would have defeated the 2007 Giants on any given Sunday. 

Stats prove 1991 Redskins were the best

The 1991 Redskins hold some of the most impressive stats in NFL history, proving just how incredible their team was. First, they led the league in points (485 points scored) while their defense allowed only 224 points (the second fewest in the league). Second, as previously stated, they lost only two games (one of them after assuring first place) during the regular season by only a combined five points. Third, they held a 75-point playoff margin (102-27), one of the best in football history (a margin that wasn’t achieved when their win was in their hands).

Above all stands one fact that highlights just how good this team was: Both offensively and defensively, the Redskins had +43 sack ratio, while their QB was sacked only seven times throughout the entire season!

via ThePerspective 

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Not that it's "easy" to make the Super Bowl, but they definitely lost their mojo later in the season. Randy Moss was already an underwhelming postseason performer for the Vikings, but his 2007 playoff was one of the worst chokes of all time. 94 yards in three games, with his only TD due to Corey Webster slipping.

Wow. I did not even realize that at all! 

That maybe the chink in his armor as far as greatest WRS of all time go. For example T.O had probably his greatest performance of all time in the SB coming off a broken leg. 

Jerry Rice always performed when it mattered most too.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Stats prove 1991 Redskins were the best

The 1991 Redskins hold some of the most impressive stats in NFL history, proving just how incredible their team was. First, they led the league in points (485 points scored) while their defense allowed only 224 points (the second fewest in the league). Second, as previously stated, they lost only two games (one of them after assuring first place) during the regular season by only a combined five points. Third, they held a 75-point playoff margin (102-27), one of the best in football history (a margin that wasn’t achieved when their win was in their hands).

Above all stands one fact that highlights just how good this team was: Both offensively and defensively, the Redskins had +43 sack ratio, while their QB was sacked only seven times throughout the entire season!

via ThePerspective 

That's interesting, I'll start considering them in the convo. I didn't realize that they were that dominant so I was curios to see how my pick the 85 Bears were. 

Regular season: Ranked 7th offensively. 1st Defensively: and the greatest single season defense of all time. (Yes, over the 2000 Ravens D) 

Outscored teams in the regular season by 258 points. 

Playoffs scoring. 

21 - 0 

24 - 0 

SB: 46 - 10. That's one dominant showing in the SB to beat your opponent by 36 points and Walter Payton didn't even score a TD.

That's an 81 point differential. The statistics are awfully close for both teams. 

7 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

That's interesting, I'll start considering them in the convo. I didn't realize that they were that dominant so I was curios to see how my pick the 85 Bears were. 

Regular season: Ranked 7th offensively. 1st Defensively: and the greatest single season defense of all time. (Yes, over the 2000 Ravens D) 

Outscored teams in the regular season by 258 points. 

Playoffs scoring. 

21 - 0 

24 - 0 

SB: 46 - 10. That's one dominant showing in the SB to beat your opponent by 36 points and Walter Payton didn't even score a TD.

That's an 81 point differential. The statistics are awfully close for both teams. 

I am sure that the 1989 49ers would win against the 1985 bears in a head to head matchup.The regular season the 49ers were elite but not as great as the Bears but in the playoffs, they dominated their 3 opponents by a combined total of 100 points (126-26) and their defense was also elite.The 46 defense would not have worked against this 49ers offense too

On 10/5/2023 at 7:06 AM, Steelersfan43 said:

I am sure that the 1989 49ers would win against the 1985 bears in a head to head matchup.The regular season the 49ers were elite but not as great as the Bears but in the playoffs, they dominated their 3 opponents by a combined total of 100 points (126-26) and their defense was also elite.The 46 defense would not have worked against this 49ers offense too

I always thought that would be a very interesting match up of the 1980s. 

Dan Marino was the only one too defeat the 85 Bears. And 100 points is pretty wild. 

I do think Walter Payton would have done a decent job to keep the 49ers offense off the field. 

I just wonder if we don't get to Joe if we would be able to handle Jerry Rice. But it's not going to be easy stopping that 46 defense. 

• 1 month later...

The 85 Bears were the most memorable team ever because of how vicious their D was, the upset in Miami, and their characters (McMahon and the Fridge especially). However, for the best team of all time, I would have to look at the 1976 Steelers. Someone in their organization said that the 76 team was the best that they ever had, and I think that they were a cut (or so) above any of the so-called great teams ever (which usually involves someone who won the SB from 1984-96 against an average AFC team, with some exceptions).

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

Call me crazy, but 07 Pats are still the greatest team of all time imo.

They are in the discussion and they were historic great in the first half of the season with so many wins by 20-30 points or more (They had like 8 in their first 10 games which were crazy) but after that, they slowed down, like when the Eagles with A.J Feeley and the Ravens with Kyle Boller almost beat the Pats.They had peaked a little too early, but of course they were still very close to having a perfect season

The 1989 49ers are for me the best team ever...Elite regular season (14-2) with an all-time playoffs run....Outscored their opponent 126-26 in their 3 playoffs game!