Is Deshaun Watson.. load managing?

General Tso

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Well... he played one good game and they were 2-1. So clearly... his past behavior doesn't matter.

Truthfully et I am wondering if he was damaged goods because he can not throw a deep out most high schoolers could.

The comments leading up to game said he could not throw 30 yards.

If this is true and he was medically clear then that is clearly on the Browns doctors.

Does this matter no this team losses more games every year under Stefanski. 

Love the finger pointing. 

Questions who does the best finger pointing Berry 

Stefanski 

Or leshaun 

Edited by mtmmike
stupid
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Truthfully et I am wondering if he was damaged goods because he can not throw a deep out most high schoolers could.

No lies, he took a beating in Houston. I remember some hits he took, thinking that was that, he's not getting up. Not just in the pocket, but he was reckless as a runner too - think about what Anthony Richardson was doing this season, never sliding. It was like that.

Just now, ET80 said:

No lies, he took a beating in Houston. I remember some hits he took, thinking that was that, he's not getting up. Not just in the pocket, but he was reckless as a runner too - think about what Anthony Richardson was doing this season, never sliding. It was like that.

No worries due I get a raise because I called this?

• Like 2

One thing I don't get: Why exactly did the Browns coaching staff even release to the public that Watson was medically cleared to play two weeks ago? They don't have to say that right? So why would they even bring that up? Can't they just tell the public he was not ready to play?

It could just be the coaching staff being too open I guess, but feels a bit like they threw Watson to the wolves here. Maybe I don't entirely understand the situation but this feels very odd.

• Like 2

The issue here is one of basic human nature

People in all walks of life respond to INCENTIVES. This is the fundamental truth of how the world works. 

You want to reward positive behaviors with positive incentives, and negative behavior with negative incentives. 

This is true across everything 

-bonuses or raises at your job (or termination)

-jail time for crimes

-tax breaks for donations; negative behaviors like smoking are taxed heavily etc

-timeouts for children vs rewards for good behaviors 

The fundamental human truth is people response to incentives. Furthermore, controlling incentives for bad people and bad actors is significantly more important than for good people, because bad people will behave selfishly if they have no reason not to.

A good person doesn’t need negative consequences for sexually assaulting 24 women, because a good person would never do that in the first place. A conscientious teammate doesn’t need negative consequences for quitting on his team, because a good teammate wouldn’t do that in the first place.

Watson might not be the biggest PoS in the NFL, but he’s in questionably the biggest PoS Quarterback in the NFL and unquestionably the biggest PoS to ever get a fully guaranteed $200M contract. 

The Browns have no protection against Watson in the event Watson wants to act like a bad actor. In fact, we have only rewarded and enabled him. Of the 4 teams that were actively pursuing him last season, we were the only team he willingly eliminated and said he wasn’t interested in playing for. 

Because Watson didn’t want to be here, we rewarded him by giving him a $240M fully locked deal with rape insurance ensuring he was only risking $1M out of the $45M he was owed his first year in case he got suspended. 

Browns have only enabled a morally bankrupt character.

Is he hurt? Yeah I’m sure he’s a little scuffed up. But based on all reports he’s healthy enough to play and in my 25 years of watching the NFL I cannot ever recall a QB missing several weeks for a minor injury that shocked the teams leadership. 

But what’s Watsons incentive? He won’t get paid more. He doesn’t want to be here. Why risk playing hurt a little bit when you have nothing to gain. It’s not like Watson has pride, so he ain’t playing for that. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Little bit of revisionist history here.

Agreed. Your position is definitely revisionist history.

Baker was the one who wanted to play when the coaches basically told him no because he was injured. He forced himself onto the field with a bum shoulder because he was in a contract year. He then proceeded to play horribly, take shots at the HC in the media and was released where he then went on to play for 3 other teams.

If Baker is any sort of lesson in this, its that Watson should NOT play unless he feels he can make all of the throws. Putting yourself out there with a bum shoulder trying to be Superman and throwing interceptions/missing WRs causing your team to lose is not valiant...its stupid.

It was definitely the plan to send Baker out there injured so they could scapegoat him, and it worked. Here we are with Stef and Berry on the chopping block, as they should have already been. I'm guessing the Browns (rightfully) clean house after this season.

Just imagine, if Baker sat out and didnt panic about his job security and let his shoulder heal for 6-8 weeks--he would probably still be the QB of the Browns.

He was gone either way. They clearly took OBJ's side and were doing nothing to back up Baker when he was being trashed in the media.

But he did panic, forced himself to play injured against the teams will which only caused more in-fighting and the rest is history.

Live and learn. Playing like trash because your only 70% healthy does more harm than good. 👍

If this is all it was then the Browns would have kept him.

With no Nick Chubb to lean on, it makes it real tough to put a not-100% healthy QB out there against arguably the best team in football. Scheduled loss.

The roster when Baker was there was overrated. All he had was an offensive line and Nick. The defense has not been consistently good and Njoku should never have gotten that terrible contract. One more reason to fire Stef and Berry.

2 hours ago, mtmmike said:

The comments leading up to game said he could not throw 30 yards.

If this is true and he was medically clear then that is clearly on the Browns doctors.

Does this matter no this team losses more games every year under Stefanski. 

Love the finger pointing. 

Questions who does the best finger pointing Berry 

Stefanski 

Or leshaun 

Berry and Stef will be gone first. Good points as always, Mike.

2 hours ago, mtmmike said:

No worries due I get a raise because I called this?

Here's a cold one and a raise.

2 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

One thing I don't get: Why exactly did the Browns coaching staff even release to the public that Watson was medically cleared to play two weeks ago? They don't have to say that right? So why would they even bring that up? Can't they just tell the public he was not ready to play?

It could just be the coaching staff being too open I guess, but feels a bit like they threw Watson to the wolves here. Maybe I don't entirely understand the situation but this feels very odd.

It's because they are snakes. Everything they do is narrative control.  They are politicians skilled at doublespeak. They see the end for themselves and are on self-preservation mode.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Watson was literally on the field warming up before the game and elected not to play. I wouldn’t read much into this. The Browns coaching staff simply repeated public information. 

• Like 1