State of Titans convo: Non-game specific

deeluxx3

I have admit. I do have concerns with Vrabel having heavy say in personnel with an offseason where we’re going to have close to 100 million in cap space. As much as Jon Robinson is to blame with where we are at roster wise now, it’s not like Vrabel is completely blameless either.

It’s something that has been in the back of my mind for a minute.

Edited by TitanSlim
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I have admit. I do have concerns with Vrabel having heavy say in personnel with an offseason where we’re going to have close to 100 million in cap space. As much as Jon Robinson is to blame with where we are at roster wise now, it’s not like Vrabel is completely blameless either.

It’s something that has been in the back of my mind for a minute.

don't worry, we're gonna assemble the best blocking WR room in the league

Vrabel went so to bat for AJ Brown he said AJ Brown would be a Titan as long as he was the HC just for the GM to undercut him, and was apart of making moves to get Julio Jones and DeAndre Hopkins and we've still got people going on about "lol all Vrabel cares about is blocking".

Some day I'll understand the fanbase's criticisms, today ain't that day though.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Vrabel went so to bat for AJ Brown he said AJ Brown would be a Titan as long as he was the HC just for the GM to undercut him, and was apart of making moves to get Julio Jones and DeAndre Hopkins and we've still got people going on about "lol all Vrabel cares about is blocking".

Yup.

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I know one of the biggest criticisms of Vrabel is ho OC has gone. 

Keep in mind his first 2 got HC jobs. And he helped assemble ( with Robinson) a top offense. Defense sucked. 

So life with Vrabel is possible with a proper roster builder. 

i think we can safely say 3/4 vrabel OC hires have been fine. kelly looks to be solid, just needs more talent to work with. just hurts pretty bad that he fumbled the OC hire with an also-ran who everyone knew wasn't very good *right* as the rest of the team was hitting its peak in 2021.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I also wonder what people would’ve done differently at the WR position the past two offseason (other than trading AJ)

Last year we acquired Woods and I think everyone felt pretty good about him and Brown. Then we trade Brown and draft Burks and Philips.

Burks is a bust, Philips is probably going to end up being a bust. But both were good prospects. We drafted poorly, but there was a lot to like about both guys. 

Was signing Juju going to move the needle last year in FA? It’s not like it there was a ton of guys to go for.

this year, we hold pat early in FA. Didn’t think it was a great group of guys overall, so not like we missed out on a DUDE.

I was disappointed to not draft WR early, but can we really scoff at Skoronski, Levis and Spears with our top 3 picks? We can play the hindsight game on mid round WRs, but then we are getting into crapshoots. I do wish we addressed WR before R7, however.

and then we signed Hopkins, who has been worth every penny 

I just don’t understand what expectations are sometimes, especially given players that are available at any given time. And especially when you basically give away a guy like Brown…it torpedos a room.

• Like 1

Gonna drum up more bull garbage news about Vrabel. Same crap last year. People just need to make noise.

Listen if Vrabel has rough finish to this year. As much as I like Vrabel, yes he needs to be on the hot seat next year. With the cap space and possible draft picks.

We will see. Hard to picture it right now, but I could see this team still notching some wins with Levis at qb. We are gonna have more home games than not to finish the year and our opponents are very getable. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/tom-brew-my-two-cents-mike-vrabel-to-new-england-patriots-would-be-tennessee-titans-boldest-year-of-transition-move

I agree with Brew’s notion of “where there is smoke, there is fire”. Something’s just seemed a little bit off this year with Vrabel. Brew also alludes to a few people, himself included, hearing that Vrabel and RC don’t always see eye to eye. Obviously that’s bound to happen, but in a GM hire that was punctuated by the word “collaboration”… something just seems off

i think the world of Vrabel as a HC and think any next hire is likely to be a step backwards. But I also agree with the fact that, assuming Levis progresses and becomes “a dude”, he is far and away the main and only priority to cater to in terms of coaching and personnel. He’s the most important person in the building right now and we gotta do whatever is best for him 

that’s a double edged sword because a potential coaching carousel is the worst thing for Levis should Vrabel move on. So pressure is on RC big time to not botch that hire 

I’ve been feeling it more and more since the Ravens game. Starting to feel like this may be the beginning of the end of the Vrabel era 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/tom-brew-my-two-cents-mike-vrabel-to-new-england-patriots-would-be-tennessee-titans-boldest-year-of-transition-move

I agree with Brew’s notion of “where there is smoke, there is fire”. Something’s just seemed a little bit off this year with Vrabel. Brew also alludes to a few people, himself included, hearing that Vrabel and RC don’t always see eye to eye. Obviously that’s bound to happen, but in a GM hire that was punctuated by the word “collaboration”… something just seems off

i think the world of Vrabel as a HC and think any next hire is likely to be a step backwards. But I also agree with the fact that, assuming Levis progresses and becomes “a dude”, he is far and away the main and only priority to cater to in terms of coaching and personnel. He’s the most important person in the building right now and we gotta do whatever is best for him 

that’s a double edged sword because a potential coaching carousel is the worst thing for Levis should Vrabel move on. So pressure is on RC big time to not botch that hire 

I’ve been feeling it more and more since the Ravens game. Starting to feel like this may be the beginning of the end of the Vrabel era 

In a perfect world, we win it with Vrabes, but I understand things arent perfect.

Im down for whatever is best for Levis.

Ben Johnson would be my target. 

Edited by twotonebluenation
  • Like 1

if vrabel has issues with ran after our first offseason in like three years where we actually added good players then he should be out on his *** posthaste lol. not to mention a head coach clashing with two consecutive GMs, the second of whom was explicitly brought in to work *with* him, is a sign that vrabel himself is the issue here. 

you never really know how much truth there is to the rumor mill, though. could all be nonsense, and as much as i have soured on the guy i'm not opposed to giving him another year to right the ship. but i'd be lying if i said the prospect of coming out of this offseason's coaching carousel with, say, ben johnson and an extra first round pick isn't pretty exciting.

• Like 1

I'm not for hiring the "hot" name in coaching. 

Vrabel wasn't exactly the hottest name. It was McDaniels. Matt Nagy, Jon Gruden.

Has to be the right guy. 

I don't necessarily want the HC to call the plays. But it would be nice if he had an offensive background like Andy Reid. 

There's a lot of smoke with this Vrabel thing. I really want him to be the one to have us win. Just would be more rewarding. 

I think ultimately it would be a mistake to let him go.  But I am in board if it's best for Levis and if Vrabel has conflicts with him being the QB. Also if he has a problem with Ran.

So far Ran has made the right choices outside of Dillard. 

Ran and Levis>>>>>Vrabel. 

• Like 1