The Week 7 Thread: (3-3) Washington Commanders at (1-5) New York Football Giants, 1 PM CBS / GIF Theme: Little Giants

MikeT14

24 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Gosh Howell was disappointing today. So tough to watch. 

I mean, I’m not sure what he was supposed to do in the first half? I don’t think he was great by any means but Gates was getting destroyed over and over again. And he took them down the field and got in position to score and Dotson dropped it. Like I said, I get he wasn’t great but this OL is awful and having no threat of a run game for your young QB is just tough to overcome. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Gosh Howell was disappointing today. So tough to watch. 

What's most disappointing is he keeps passing up easy throws open for 5 to 10 gains. What we have to remember though is a lot of young QBS do that but as they progress and play more games in the NFL they learn to take what the D gives them.

Kirk certainly learned after the 2014 season & how the beginning of  2015 was going.

I hope the same happens for Sam as he plays more. Those easy plays need to be consistently made to move the chains then, the deeper shots will open up eventually.

Edited by turtle28

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, I’m not sure what he was supposed to do in the first half? I don’t think he was great by any means but Gates was getting destroyed over and over again. And he took them down the field and got in position to score and Dotson dropped it. Like I said, I get he wasn’t great but this OL is awful and having no threat of a run game for your young QB is just tough to overcome. 

I think when he did have time, it wasn’t pretty. You’re admitting it yourself. He might have been seeing ghosts. It was just disappointing 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think when he did have time, it wasn’t pretty. You’re admitting it yourself. He might have been seeing ghosts. It was just disappointing 

How often did he have time today though? Some of today was on Sam but I think this OL has been so bad throughout the season that fans are just starting to accept that fact and expect Sam to overcome it. Not saying you’re doing that Mike but it’s not just the pass blocking that’s bad, we can’t run the ball either. So either this is one of the worst OL put together in the league or there’s scheme issues causing major blocking problems?

And yes, Sam does hold the ball too long but that doesn’t mean it needs to be a sack. look all around the league. QBs are sitting back in pockets running around not getting touched meanwhile Sam just gets destroyed over and over again. I think just continuing down the road with this same group is crazy. You picked a center relatively high, play him. Lucas is clearly a better player than Wylie, play him. Try Mason Brooks or Chris Paul at LG. TRY SOMETHING! 

• Like 1

Its pretty obvious to ME that Sam Howell is making the offensive line look worse than it is. He's almost on pace for TWICE as many sacks than Taylor Heinicke was last year. You can blame Nick Gates and Wylie all you want, but they've been professionals in this league before and their quarterbacks weren't sacked at the pace that Sam Howell is at now.  Can Sam Howell improve like Turtle28 thinks he can? Absolutely, but right now he's holding the team back. And there's nothing wrong with that. We were waving the white flag when we decided to start Howell this year anyways. 5th round QBs have something like less than a 5% chance to succeed. Only the homers on here thought he was gonna do well. 

He's short, not really athletically gifted and his arm isn't all that impressive either. He almost got Terry sent away in the ambulance on that "long" ball today. Let him play out the rest of the season and he'll let us draft his replacement. 

8 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Its pretty obvious to ME that Sam Howell is making the offensive line look worse than it is. He's almost on pace for TWICE as many sacks than Taylor Heinicke was last year. You can blame Nick Gates and Wylie all you want, but they've been professionals in this league before and their quarterbacks weren't sacked at the pace that Sam Howell is at now.  Can Sam Howell improve like Turtle28 thinks he can? Absolutely, but right now he's holding the team back. And there's nothing wrong with that. We were waving the white flag when we decided to start Howell this year anyways. 5th round QBs have something like less than a 5% chance to succeed. Only the homers on here thought he was gonna do well. 

He's short, not really athletically gifted and his arm isn't all that impressive either. He almost got Terry sent away in the ambulance on that "long" ball today. Let him play out the rest of the season and he'll let us draft his replacement. 

Andrew Wylie finished second worst in the league last year with 49 pressures and 9 sacks attributed to him. Yes, he’s been this bad before. Nick Gates is basically a platoon player who’s had 7 leg surgeries that were starting for some reason. Saahdiq Charles is awful and he and Andrew Wylie have collectively given up the most pressures this season which is insane. 

I really dislike the not saying nothing when he plays well stuff but immediately declaring him as a bad player when he has a rough outing. He drove his team down the field yet again after getting beat to a bloody pulp and put the ball in the receivers hands who dropped it. I also think the idea that his arm isn’t impressive is kind of off based considering most everyone grading his film says otherwise. He may not be the long term guy but he’s shown enough so far this year to say we don’t know an answer definitively either way yet. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

What's most disappointing is he keeps passing up easy throws open for 5 to 10 gains. What we have to remember though is a lot of young QBS do that but as they progress and play more games in the NFL they learn to take what the D gives them.

Kirk certainly learned after the 2014 season & how the beginning of  2015 was going.

I hope the same happens for Sam as he plays more. Those easy plays need to be consistently made to move the chains then, the deeper shots will open up eventually.

Well you take what the D is giving you if that's 5 to 10 yds so be it. This will make the lb come up then you can throw over them especially if they are giving you the middle. Everything will be different next yr. There will be almost a complete overhaul.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Like I said earlier we will have a new GM and New coach next yr. Lots of things will change. Coaches and players will be out of here. I wouldn't even rule out SH not being our starting QB I mean who knows. Everything will be on the table.

• Like 2