The Week 7 Thread: (3-3) Washington Commanders at (1-5) New York Football Giants, 1 PM CBS / GIF Theme: Little Giants

MikeT14

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

24-17 C’s. Howell has a great game:

70%, 310 yds & 2TDs

As  the season has progressed I have some growing concerns about SH and EB. SH has been sacked 34 times so far that's about   5 1/2 sacks a game. Think about that. We all know how sacks can kill drives most of the time. SH cannot survive at this going rate. Now EB has solve this issue and SH has to improve his quick release. Yes I know we have a leak line but it up to the OC to come with solutions like RUNNING THE DAM BALL more. EB is to pass happy for be. RR is gone after this yr  and the new management will go in and go in a different direction. Who knows EB may be gone even SH b/c this rate of sacks can ruin a QB. We may need a new QB. The new owner and GM is not going to put up with this ****. 

53 minutes ago, 4209 said:

As  the season has progressed I have some growing concerns about SH and EB. SH has been sacked 34 times so far that's about   5 1/2 sacks a game. Think about that. We all know how sacks can kill drives most of the time. SH cannot survive at this going rate. Now EB has solve this issue and SH has to improve his quick release. Yes I know we have a leak line but it up to the OC to come with solutions like RUNNING THE DAM BALL more. EB is to pass happy for be. RR is gone after this yr  and the new management will go in and go in a different direction. Who knows EB may be gone even SH b/c this rate of sacks can ruin a QB. We may need a new QB. The new owner and GM is not going to put up with this ****. 

Run the ball where though? The line is not creating holes. It’s simply not happening. The YPC average is inflated by Samuels and Howell. Robinson is averaging 3.9 YPC which is skewed by his 7.0 performance against Buffalo. This line is not creating running lanes. They don’t run the ball because they can’t. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Run the ball where though? The line is not creating holes. It’s simply not happening. The YPC average is inflated by Samuels and Howell. Robinson is averaging 3.9 YPC which is skewed by his 7.0 performance against Buffalo. This line is not creating running lanes. They don’t run the ball because they can’t. 

I don’t think we know if they can run or not. We come out throwing, we continue to throw and then throw some more.  Even up 14 on the falcons we just kept chucking it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If that's the case SH is not going to make through the season. Averaging 5 1/2 sacks a game. Man please SH is going get hurt. At this rate SH will not finish the season as our starter. As I said earlier we all know the ramifications of sacks and how it just disrupt the momentum and kill drives. You just can't take that many sacks and be the starting QB very long. So EB needs to come with ways to cut that sack average down. JG did it and he did not have a hellva OL his first yr.  Not trying to say EB needs to use two TE sets but EB needs to come with something to help reduce these sacks. Now SH is sometimes holding the ball to maybe should start running, move the pocket around I mean come up with something. There are  was to help compensate for a weakness. 

2 minutes ago, 4209 said:

If that's the case SH is not going to make through the season. Averaging 5 1/2 sacks a game. Man please SH is going get hurt. At this rate SH will not finish the season as our starter. As I said earlier we all know the ramifications of sacks and how it just disrupt the momentum and kill drives. You just can't take that many sacks and be the starting QB very long. So EB needs to come with ways to cut that sack average down. JG did it and he did not have a hellva OL his first yr.  Not trying to say EB needs to use two TE sets but EB needs to come with something to help reduce these sacks. Now SH is sometimes holding the ball to maybe should start running, move the pocket around I mean come up with something. There are  was to help compensate for a weakness. 

I'd suggest watching JT O'Sullivan's QB school on youtube for Sam. There was one where he got hit but threw the ball and Wylie just gets absolutely dusted by the DE. There are ways to help Sam. One is getting Nick Gates and Wylie off the field. Gates is far too often out of position. The more you watch these QB school breakdowns on Youtube the more you see how poor Gates and Wylie have been. 

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I don’t think we know if they can run or not. We come out throwing, we continue to throw and then throw some more.  Even up 14 on the falcons we just kept chucking it.

He did try though. We ran more than we threw in the second half versus the Falcons but nothing was materializing. Its either the line or the scheme but there simply are no rushing lanes.  

31 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He did try though. We ran more than we threw in the second half versus the Falcons but nothing was materializing. Its either the line or the scheme but there simply are no rushing lanes.  

He only ran when the defense knew we were going to run.  That doesn’t lead to a successful rushing attack.

As far as the sacks thing goes, I think it's a combination of all three things. Sam holds onto the ball too long at time & doesn't hit his checkdowns when he should. This is the product of a young QB coming into the NFL, unless it's drawn up like the way Shanahan does for Purdy, young Qbs take time to learn to get the ball out and get to the checkdowns. It took Kirk Cousins a while to learn that in 2014 & 2015.

It's also true that we don't run the balm enough. It's not much being successful at it, it's just committing to it. Defenses don't even play us to run the ball. They think we're goning to throw every down & they can t-off on Howell bc of that. 

I also don't think we run enough quick hitters nor do enough screens to slow down pass rush which is surprising considering Bieniemy is our HC but it's true, we don't set Howell and our offense up for success early in games bc Bieniemy isn't scheming up quick throws & screens for the offense the way Kyle does for Purdy.

Lastly, obviously our offensive line isn't the best & that's on Rivera for not doing enough to improve it earlier the draft when he could have. They're not as bad as I thought they'd be this year but they're still a bottom 1/3 of the league OL, and it's not good enough for a young developing QB.