Trade Deadline Discussion and Prediction/Preference Poll

DreamKid

Trade Discussion  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Prediction: Do we make a trade before the deadline?

2. 2. If we trade for an EDGE, who would you want?

• Chase Young
    • Danielle Hunter
    • Brian Burns
    • Carl Lawson
    • Other(Leave name in comments)
  3. 3. If we trade for a RB, who would you want?

• Derrick Henry
    • Saquon Barkley
    • Zack Moss
    • Other(Leave name in comments)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/01/2023 at 12:00 AM

2 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

If he was getting ~10 touches a game (and realistically to begin with, he'd get more) but they were mostly in the 3rd and 4th quarters after Gus, etc. have already worn defenses down a bit, he'd be more effective, not less. Derrick Henry doesn't get better as games wear on because he himself is stronger on carries 15-20 but moreso because the last thing a tired linebacker wants to do is try to bring him down. If you keep him fresh and let him loose similar to the way we've used Gus as a closer in the past, he will annihilate defenses. 

Given his age profile I would not want go into next season planning on him as a starter (and I think even if we did trade for him, EDC still goes RB sometime in Rounds 1-3 next year), but in terms of a short-term rental to make a run at a championship, I do think he's a game changer. The Titans offense has been one of the worst in the league so far with him running into 9 man boxes constantly and he's still managing to produce. The threat of chunk plays in the run game is not really something we have right now for the most part. 

And just thinking about this more directly, the road to the Super Bowl runs through Kansas City. You pair Lamar and Derrick Henry together and they can keep Mahomes off the field long enough to give us a fighting chance at pulling that off. 

I think I'd rather still go for Chase Young if we're going to make a big trade, because of the long-term value he offers, but I"m absolutely on board with making a run at the chip with Henry. 

Henry and Gus' 2nd half YPC over their careers is the exact same, FYI. I do not believe Derrick Henry gives you significantly more chance to win than Gus Edwards at this point in his career, especially with his contract and the complete lack of anything he brings in the pass game.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

13 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Henry and Gus' 2nd half YPC over their careers is the exact same, FYI. I do not believe Derrick Henry gives you significantly more chance to win than Gus Edwards at this point in his career, especially with his contract and the complete lack of anything he brings in the pass game.

Gus has never carried a full load the way Henry has, and it's part of the reason why he's so effective as a 4th quarter closer - he comes in with fresh legs against tired defenses. If you put Henry in a role similar to that he's going to be even more effective in that role than he already is. 

And that's leaving aside the fact that Gus has clearly lost a step (and yes, I know he did show some juice this past week). He's great in a supplementary role, and will pick up the yards that the line opens up for him. But Henry is still a legitimate game wrecker who can still take it to the house on any given play. Come January we're going to need big play threats to win and on that front Henry would absolutely offer us a dimension that we just don't have in the RB room. Whether that's important enough to trade for is another question, but the idea that "Gus Edwards with big play ability" is functionally the same player as Gus Edwards does not ring true to me. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

henry is in an offense where the defenses stack the box against him, he's the titans sole threat and gus is in the most rb friendly offense in the league. i don't think his numbers would be the same in the titans offense. i would love to see henry(or any elite level RB) with lamar.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RavensDefense3 said:

henry is in an offense where the defenses stack the box against him, he's the titans sole threat and gus is in the most rb friendly offense in the league. i don't think his numbers would be the same in the titans offense. i would love to see henry(or any elite level RB) with lamar.

You don't think teams stacked the box against Greg Roman offenses with 2 RB's 2 TE's and 1 WR on the field most of the time? lol

2 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Gus has never carried a full load the way Henry has, and it's part of the reason why he's so effective as a 4th quarter closer - he comes in with fresh legs against tired defenses. If you put Henry in a role similar to that he's going to be even more effective in that role than he already is. 

And that's leaving aside the fact that Gus has clearly lost a step (and yes, I know he did show some juice this past week). He's great in a supplementary role, and will pick up the yards that the line opens up for him. But Henry is still a legitimate game wrecker who can still take it to the house on any given play. Come January we're going to need big play threats to win and on that front Henry would absolutely offer us a dimension that we just don't have in the RB room. Whether that's important enough to trade for is another question, but the idea that "Gus Edwards with big play ability" is functionally the same player as Gus Edwards does not ring true to me. 

Literally the only time Henry has big play ability is when the OL gives him a free run to the end zone at this point. Our OL isn't that good to make that happen.

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Literally the only time Henry has big play ability is when the OL gives him a free run to the end zone at this point. Our OL isn't that good to make that happen.

Yes our ol isn't that good no more, but still lamar and henry can stun defenses for a little bit and thats all that would be needed not like ten where they would just simply attack henry now they gotta think about the qb threat 

5 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

If the RB cannot both be an inside runner AND be a receiving threat lined up out of the backfield, I'm not interested. 

Yeah, I just don’t see the fit with Henry in this offense. I guess if we absolutely want to let teams know ahead of time “hey, we’re running between the tackles on this play”, we’ll put in Henry. 

At least with Justice/Gus there’s a threat of something other than an RB handoff or QB keeper. With Henry in the backfield we’d be pretty limited to one of the two.

14 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

At least with Justice/Gus there’s a threat of something other than an RB handoff or QB keeper. With Henry in the backfield we’d be pretty limited to one of the two.

Justice sure but Gus has 5 targets on the year, I don't see how he plausibly offers more variability than Henry. 

22 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Justice sure but Gus has 5 targets on the year, I don't see how he plausibly offers more variability than Henry. 

Yeah that’s fair. I thought towards the end of 2020 he was really starting to show what he could do in the passing game and then the injury in 2021 sidetracked that a bit. He definitely doesn’t get nearly the opportunities he should IMO but I at least feel like he could do it. Regardless, I just don’t think Henry is a good fit on this team. We’ll see if Decosta disagrees

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Lot of the Ravens Twitter people were alluding to this all day, hard to know exactly how reliable these guys are though. 

If true, would think we're making calls on Saquon right now as well given the Giants are pretty clearly in selling mode right now. 

Josh Jacobs might be the only logical option.