Trade deadline: buyers or sellers

WizardHawk

No one should be surprised if this team doesn’t do anything. I mean, we’re already out our 4th, 5th and 6th rounders in ‘24 with only two compensatory 6ths to balance that out.

Other than Davante Adams, I don’t really see anyone potentially available that would actually change the trajectory of our season. So, it makes sense the FO would rather hold their three Top 100 picks so that next year’s draft can yield some benefit.

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Hell with a top 3 QB, and the best defense in the league, what more could you want!?

"A trade would have to come our way," Jones said during his weekly radio appearance on 105.3 The Fan. "I don't want to preclude it in any way. But the initiation of an opportunity to make a trade that would help us principally has to start on the other end."

Meaning? "I like where we are with our personnel. I'm not thinking in any way that we need to upgrade our roster."

"We're in the upper echelon," he said. "But to say we're right there with San Francisco or right there with the Eagles with how they've played ... I'm not going to go that far."

Or if they ask or show interest the price will be too high.  But if someone comes to then there is a chance we can get a deal.  

34 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

No one should be surprised if this team doesn’t do anything. I mean, we’re already out our 4th, 5th and 6th rounders in ‘24 with only two compensatory 6ths to balance that out.

Other than Davante Adams, I don’t really see anyone potentially available that would actually change the trajectory of our season. So, it makes sense the FO would rather hold their three Top 100 picks so that next year’s draft can yield some benefit.

Gonna argue with myself here since I’m mighty bored-

It’s actually a 5th for McGovern and a 6th for Schultz, according to the latest OTC projections. And I forgot, we get the Raiders’ 7th next year as well as part of the Hankins deal. That’s gonna be near the top of the round.

So basically, we’re getting a 5, 6 and 7 back to offset the loss of a 4 (Lance), 5 (Scott Jr.) and 6 (Cooks). That’s… not bad? It’s enough to where you could be a bit loose with that 2nd or 3rd rounder, if you’re trying to win.

Here’s the guy I haven’t seen anyone mention, on TV, the internet, radio, whatever, that I would at least call and ask about: what do we think the Colts would accept for DeForest Buckner?

4 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Hell with a top 3 QB, and the best defense in the league, what more could you want!?

"A trade would have to come our way," Jones said during his weekly radio appearance on 105.3 The Fan. "I don't want to preclude it in any way. But the initiation of an opportunity to make a trade that would help us principally has to start on the other end."

Meaning? "I like where we are with our personnel. I'm not thinking in any way that we need to upgrade our roster."

"We're in the upper echelon," he said. "But to say we're right there with San Francisco or right there with the Eagles with how they've played ... I'm not going to go that far."

Well, dummy, you can’t claim that we’re in the “upper echelon” and then say that the actual teams in the upper echelon are better than us. When will people stop listening to that useless, idiot? He’s a goddamned snake oil salesman, but people keep listening to him.

3 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Gonna argue with myself here since I’m mighty bored-

It’s actually a 5th for McGovern and a 6th for Schultz, according to the latest OTC projections. And I forgot, we get the Raiders’ 7th next year as well as part of the Hankins deal. That’s gonna be near the top of the round.

So basically, we’re getting a 5, 6 and 7 back to offset the loss of a 4 (Lance), 5 (Scott Jr.) and 6 (Cooks). That’s… not bad? It’s enough to where you could be a bit loose with that 2nd or 3rd rounder, if you’re trying to win.

Here’s the guy I haven’t seen anyone mention, on TV, the internet, radio, whatever, that I would at least call and ask about: what do we think the Colts would accept for DeForest Buckner?

But, we aren’t trying to win. Jerry is in the market of making it appear that we’re trying to win, without making any meaningful decisions to facilitate it. As long as people keep buying his b.s., go to games, and spend a ishton of $$$ on merchandise, he’s going to continue doing what he’s doing; which is sell chicken ish and tell you it’s chicken salad.

15 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

But, we aren’t trying to win. Jerry is in the market of making it appear that we’re trying to win, without making any meaningful decisions to facilitate it. As long as people keep buying his b.s., go to games, and spend a ishton of $$$ on merchandise, he’s going to continue doing what he’s doing; which is sell chicken ish and tell you it’s chicken salad.

I don’t necessarily disagree, it’s just that I’ve been wracking my brain the last few weeks trying to come up with anyone who actually makes sense for this team to trade for. Adams or Surtain would cost too much (in draft capital and current/future contract) and anyone available for a 3rd or less probably doesn’t really move the needle. I think Buckner for something like a 2024 2nd and a 2025 conditional 4th would be about the niftiest move this team could make in the next week.

More than likely, this team just doesn’t want to go all the way in with Dak and McCarthy this year given what they’ve shown so far. Cooks, Gilmore and Lance (lol) were this team’s moves this year. Barring something unforeseen.

Edited by matt79511

4 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Well, dummy, you can’t claim that we’re in the “upper echelon” and then say that the actual teams in the upper echelon are better than us. When will people stop listening to that useless, idiot? He’s a goddamned snake oil salesman, but people keep listening to him.

Sure you can , are they not a top 10 team in the league ? Is that not upper echelon ? The 49ers put a beat down on them , The Eagles are 6-1 … so yes , for now, they have proven to be better than the Cowboys, but you could lump them all as an upper echelon team . Look , I get it , you hate Jerry, anything bad that happens is Jerry’s fault , but anything good that happens , it’s not because of Jerry 🤔. I don’t see anything wrong with what he is quoted as saying 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I don’t necessarily disagree, it’s just that I’ve been wracking my brain the last few weeks trying to come up with anyone who actually makes sense for this team to trade for. Adams or Surtain would cost too much (in draft capital and current/future contract) and anyone available for a 3rd or less probably doesn’t really move the needle. I think Buckner for something like a 2024 2nd and a 2025 conditional 4th would be about the niftiest move this team could make in the next week.

More than likely, this team just doesn’t want to go all the way in with Dak and McCarthy this year given what they’ve shown so far. Cooks, Gilmore and Lance (lol) were this team’s moves this year. Barring something unforeseen.

What do you think about Cordelle Patterson ? Do you think he could help this offense ? don’t think we would have to give up too much to acquire him 

7 minutes ago, PincheJimmy said:

What do you think about Cordelle Patterson ? Do you think he could help this offense ? don’t think we would have to give up too much to acquire him 

That’s an interesting one. On its face, I’d say no, if they’re gonna trade for an RB it’ll be one more in the short-yardage bruiser Zeke mold. However, Patterson is maybe the best KR in NFL history, so he could break a game or two for you in a very obvious way which is nice. I think you’d have to cut Vaughn for him so my gut says no, they’re not doing that

1 hour ago, PincheJimmy said:

Sure you can , are they not a top 10 team in the league ? Is that not upper echelon ? The 49ers put a beat down on them , The Eagles are 6-1 … so yes , for now, they have proven to be better than the Cowboys, but you could lump them all as an upper echelon team . Look , I get it , you hate Jerry, anything bad that happens is Jerry’s fault , but anything good that happens , it’s not because of Jerry 🤔. I don’t see anything wrong with what he is quoted as saying 🤷‍♂️

Being in the top 1/3 of the league not upper echelon, no. The math doesn’t work. The upper echelon is the top 2-3 teams in the league, which we are not. 

22 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Guessing it’s well above what Dallas would be willing to offer. I’d guess a 2nd rd pick plus something in 2025.

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Guessing it’s well above what Dallas would be willing to offer. I’d guess a 2nd rd pick plus something in 2025.

That’s about where I landed. A 2024 2nd and a 2025 5th that turns into a 4th as long as he’s on the team in ‘24.

Too rich for our blood? Maybe. But it’s a trade I definitely think someone needs to go and make. Indy has no incentive to do anything but tank with Richardson out.

• Like 1