Trade deadline: buyers or sellers

WizardHawk

Oct 31 is deadline. Not sure I see Dallas doing much, but they did nab Hankins last year, so it’s not out of the question. Dallas has limited capital with no 5/6 rd picks next year. Which is likely to play a major role, since they love the draft.

Sell - Gallup. Would love to see team move him. I’ve had my fill and with an out available in his contract, that part shouldn’t hold up anything. His play probably will though. 

Buy - Have seen numerous names dropped from Surtain (lol) to Jeudy to Hunter Renfrow (I’d be interested in either). 

Buyers!

And you guys might call me insane for this but we need to be buyers at RUNNING BACK

Look, I know the league has changed a lot. But I recently went back and watched a ton of games from 1991, 1993, 1995, 1996.. and besides being reminded just how freaking good Emmitt was, it made me realize a standout feature this team is seriously lacking today.

Pollard can break big plays. He can hit the edge or get the ball in Space, and his contact balance, start/stop/start again ability, and his vision as a runner, make.him very slippery and a tough tackle. And sure, he can grind a few yards with a couple carries isolated on a linebacker up the middle. Make a few good gains even, too.

But on third and two, this team knows what it lacks. So it puts the ball in Dak's hands, rolls him out and has him look for a rinky dink drop off to one of these tight ends or, if the rush isn't in his face, Lamb screaming across the formation on a crossing route. It works, I mean, the team is 48% at third down. But is this ideal? Probably not - against really good teams anyway, like SF or GB or Philly and such that can get to Dak fast, rush the easy throw and make him look like a stinky pile of Manhattan trash on the sidewalk  waiting for pickup in the middle of august with holes all chewed out of the bags from the rats at night.

So what is it the team needs? A running back that can move that pile or squeeze through a crease and "leg squat" himself forward for the first. See, Zeke lost a lot of burst, and he ran against stacked boxes and standard fronts much more than Pollard, who had the benefit of nickel packages to run against. And he was amazing in his role, so much so I'm in favor of a solid 3-4 year deal 

But watching Emmitt again, take these hits and get piled on, only to push his way free or spin out and sprint away makes me realize that this is an element on the team that Dallas just does not have. Who's pushing our pile? Do we want Dak trying to convert 3rd and 2 on a rollout everytime against fast linebackers (we saw how SF eliminated it) or 4 down linemen capable of blowing up his ability to roll out by taking away the edges, like Philly will likely do?

I know I get long winded because I put a ton of thought and research into every post. So I'll shorten it now and just say this:

For all the flak Dak gets, if this team is to do anything good this year and you feel Dak isn't the "solution" mostly all of us thought he could become years ago...then why not go out and get ourselves that grinder that fills the void between Pollard and Dak? 

So who are our options? They say Henry could be had, but trading for him would literally be a sell the future for the best shot at this thing right now. Not sure I'm good with that. Taylor finally signed, so not sure that's an answer. Barkley likely wouldn't be traded in the division, and although more powerfully built than Pollard, it's a similar style enough for me to say I'd pass. 

Could the Jets part with Michael Carter, and would he be a solution to the need? Would KC part ways with Pacheco, a 7th round selection, for a third? Unlikely but maybe. Maybe with JT sealed in and getting healthy, Indy would part wit Zach Moss, selling.high after a stellar month - but does he solve this need?  Hell, maybe the answer is offering up a mid round pick to New England to bring Zeke back, or make a push for a similar style runner to Zeke in Stevenson? I doubt an interdivision trade is likely, but Washington has a nice banger of a runner in Brian Robinson. Atlanta has one as well with Tyler Allgeir. 

I honestly don't know of a good solution but what I do know is that finding one could give this offense the push it needs, and really help Pollard return to the big play role he was best at, while taking a bit more pressure off of Dak in those short yardage conversion situations where San Francisco made this team pay.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

4 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Oct 31 is deadline. Not sure I see Dallas doing much, but they did nab Hankins last year, so it’s not out of the question. Dallas has limited capital with no 5/6 rd picks next year. Which is likely to play a major role, since they love the draft.

Sell - Gallup. Would love to see team move him. I’ve had my fill and with an out available in his contract, that part shouldn’t hold up anything. His play probably will though. 

Buy - Have seen numerous names dropped from Surtain (lol) to Jeudy to Hunter Renfrow (I’d be interested in either). 

I was disappointed last seasonn when I heard they made a play for Jeudy and came up short. He is the exact kind of receiver the team has lacked since Dez. My only problem is, Dak is not the best "50-50" ball thrower. He likes to see more separation than you would see with Dez, or in this case, Jeudy. I can't picture Dak tossing up a back shoulder deep shot with Jeudy on an island and a DB pressed up all into his back going stride for stride. Dak will pass that up all day long , even though Jeudy is capable of going up and jumping through the defender for the grab, or at the least drawing the flag because he has to leap through the defender. But overall it's a great fit and really should have been done last season 

As for Gallup. With a knee injury on the record and his stats taking a nose dive even two years removed from that injury now, I can't really see there being many buyers for him. Maybe a team eager for some experienced depth will throw a 7th or a 6th at him, or offer up some middling "who's that?" linebacker to trade depth for depth. But if anyone's expecting some decent pick for him, like a 2nd, 3rd or 4th, they are really not paying attention to player trade values. A guy like Waller was one of the best TEs in the league for several seasons and all it took the Giants was what? A third round pick with conditions? And that was for one of the  top players at his position. Yeah, we would be lucky to get another 6th rounder for Gallup like we did for Cooper 

9 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

When you have a smart front office and a real GM, trades like this are possible. But....we have Joan Rivers and Goof Son.

I don’t even know why the Cowboys are still looked at with the same reverence as those 90s teams. The F.O. has no clue as to what players to pay or should keep, free agency or in-season trades. Other than Amari (who they gave up a 1st for, only to trade away for a 5th), I can’t think of another in-season trade that that’s worked out.

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

When you have a smart front office and a real GM, trades like this are possible. But....we have Joan Rivers and Goof Son.

Here in the Philly area, they are calling this trade a steal. 

Of Dallas would have made this same trade, probably would have cost us a 2nd or a 1st 🙄

41 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

Here in the Philly area, they are calling this trade a steal. 

Of Dallas would have made this same trade, probably would have cost us a 2nd or a 1st 🙄

Byard’s still an All-Pro safety. It’s a heckuva deal for Philly.

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

And that’s why it doesn’t matter who they have at QB. This team will never win another Super Bowl with Jerry (and probably Stephen) at the helm. 

• Like 2

Hell with a top 3 QB, and the best defense in the league, what more could you want!?

"A trade would have to come our way," Jones said during his weekly radio appearance on 105.3 The Fan. "I don't want to preclude it in any way. But the initiation of an opportunity to make a trade that would help us principally has to start on the other end."

Meaning? "I like where we are with our personnel. I'm not thinking in any way that we need to upgrade our roster."

"We're in the upper echelon," he said. "But to say we're right there with San Francisco or right there with the Eagles with how they've played ... I'm not going to go that far."