2023-2024 NBA GDT: Offseason

11sanchez11

3 hours ago, Kingram said:

Feel like Lebron James and Adam Silver are ruining the league I loved. Seems that small market teams fall farther and farther behind. Reffing has been the worst it’s been in as long as I can remember. 

💀

3 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Remember when Greg Monroe signed with the Bucks and had everyone thinking that market size didn't matter anymore? That being said, I don't think it's gotten much worse than it always was.

Oh yeah. I member. I was so pumped lmao 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kingram said:

Feel like Lebron James and Adam Silver are ruining the league I loved. Seems that small market teams fall farther and farther behind. Reffing has been the worst it’s been in as long as I can remember. 

2 of the last 3 champions were small market teams led by foreign born players, lol

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

2 of the last 3 champions were small market teams led by foreign born players, lol

When did I say anything about foreign born players? lol 

I also wouldn’t consider Denver a small market. When I say small market I’m referring to Milwaukee, New Orleans, Portland, Charlotte etc. 

Milwaukee bucked the trend for sure, the NBA is still without question set up for it to be immensely easier to build a contender in big markets. New York, LA, etc. 

New York hasn't contended in decades.

There is more parity now than I can ever remember.

Markets matter less every year and things will continue to trend that way when the new cap hits.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kingram said:

When did I say anything about foreign born players? lol 

I also wouldn’t consider Denver a small market. When I say small market I’m referring to Milwaukee, New Orleans, Portland, Charlotte etc. 

Milwaukee bucked the trend for sure, the NBA is still without question set up for it to be immensely easier to build a contender in big markets. New York, LA, etc. 

Denver is the 17th largest city in the US, behind Indianapolis, San Antonio, and Charlotte and just ahead of Oklahoma City, Portland, Memphis etc.  Based on size, its a mid-market team.  Based on publicity, history as a media market, destination, etc it is even more of a middle market team.  For example Boston is a smaller city size wise but has more history and media presence.  Is also closer to NYC and the history between the Lakers and Celtics make it a bigger market.  As popular as Denver is becoming as a city, it still pales in publicity and history as far as sports go.  New York is set up to be easier to build in yet neither of the New York teams have ever won an NBA championship.  The Knicks haven't been relevant since Patrick Ewing retired.  The Nets tried to buy a team a couple of times but it never worked out.  IMO, a team can be built anywhere if management is good and the GM/Coach are in line.  The Warriors built a dynasty in SF.  Lebron won in Cleveland.  Detroit had a 6 year run in the ECF.  Its about finding a star and building around them.  Finding a star is hard but is not determined by how big your market is. 

The Nets and Knicks being poorly run proves my point lol

Theyve been horribly run teams and yet, stars still want to play there. Am I probably just bitter because my teams “star” gets a terrible whistle and nothing will get done about it? Yeah probably. 

Did Lebron still do tons of damage to the league with all his player empowerment stuff? Yeah, absolutely. He also ruined the dunk contest. I also love Lebron but you can call a spade a spade. 

2 hours ago, Kingram said:

I don’t think so at all. Every year there is like 4 relative teams. 

Yeah, how different than the 60s-early 2000s...

Get real. There's more parity now than there ever has been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mox said:

New York hasn't contended in decades.

There is more parity now than I can ever remember.

Markets matter less every year and things will continue to trend that way when the new cap hits.

The internet has changed marketability for players but I think a lot of guys would probably prefer to live in NY, LA, Miami, etc.