The MVP race

Steelersfan43

Just now, Art_Vandalay said:

LBs and safeties are trash.

Kevin Byard? Dude's an All-Pro.

Reed Blankenship is having a good year.

LB's agreed. Unless Shaq Leonard turns back into his old self.

But they have a QB, WR pair, top level TE, Fantastic OL. It's not one to one to the 49ers, but it's still a damn good team. And talent level is right there with San Fran.

13 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

LBs and safeties are trash.

But isn't the forest from the trees here that we are now saying:

The reason Brock gets excluded from the MVP convo and Jalen Hurts doesn't is because his "LBs and safeties are trash".

You can see how a relatively neutral-ish Chiefs fan like myself might consider that kind of splitting hairs, right?

• Like 1

Just now, jonnguy2015 said:

Also, is Purdy supposed to play badly for 3 quarters so he has a chance to fix the mess he made in the 4th?

Still missing the point.

Purdy is obviously a big reason for their overall success. A valuable QB is one that when the team isn't playing up to par or they're missing key players, The QB can overcome it and lead them to victory. Excluding the games they lost, the defense has allowed 13 points per game... 13. How do we know how "Valuable" the guy is if the only time the team has ever needed him to step up late in games, he failed.

Dak vs SEA: "Dak, our defense is getting obliterated. We need you to carry us to victory." ... "I gotchyou, boss"
Tua vs LAC: "Tua, our defense is getting obliterated. We need you to carry us to victory." ... "I gotchyou, boss"
Hurts vs BUF: "Jalen, our defense is getting obliterated and Lane's out. We need you to carry us to victory." ... "I gotchyou, boss"
Purdy vs CLE/MIN/CIN: "Brock, we're down Deebo and Trent. We need you to carry us to victory" ... *poop sounds*

4 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Purdy vs CLE/MIN/CIN: "Brock, we're down Deebo and Trent. We need you to carry us to victory" ... *poop sounds*

He led them down the field and into field goal range against arguably the best defense in the league and down two of his best skill players. He can't control whether the kicker makes the game-winner or not

Edited by jonnguy2015

28 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Also, is Purdy supposed to play badly for 3 quarters so he has a chance to fix the mess he made in the 4th?

For Brock Purdy to be in the MVP conversation (maybe MVP? I lost track), he must:

1. Be in the broadcast promo package,
  2. Not wear a backwards hat,
  3. Have 40+ TDs and 12+ Wins with 0 YAC,
  4. Kill his backup quarterback(s),
  5. Not play with offensive skill players,
  6. Suck to the point the system is considered bad enough other players couldn't be projected as a MVP candidate in it,
  7. Play amazingly such that Purdy could be projected to carry any team to a Super Bowl win on his own,
  8. Be either an All-Pro or a Hall of Famer, and
  9. Win a game from behind in the 4th quarter or by game-winning drive (I don't know which, it's still being determined)

I probably missed a goal post or seven.

Edited by typecast

21 minutes ago, Soggust said:

But isn't the forest from the trees here that we are now saying:

The reason Brock gets excluded from the MVP convo and Jalen Hurts doesn't is because his "LBs and safeties are trash".

You can see how a relatively neutral-ish Chiefs fan like myself might consider that kind of splitting hairs, right?

I feel like I have to just keep repeating the definition of valuable. "Art, you're taking valuable to literally." How tf else should I interpret it? lol

Let's say this...

Peyton Manning one year is on a team where the defense allows 13 pts per game in the games they win. They finish 13-4.
Peyton Manning the following year is on a team where the defense allows 22 pts per game in they games the win. They finish 13-4.

Regardless of those stats, he's still a great QB, right? Nothing changes that. But which year is he more valuable to his team? Just simply going by the definition of valuable, he deserves the MVP less that first year even despite his numbers and wins. Because his defense is significantly worse the following year, he in turn has to do more heavy lifting to get those wins. Therefore, he is more valuable to his team the following year.

"So you're telling me QBs on elite teams with elite defenses and elite running games shouldn't win MVP?" Yes, that is what I'm saying.

Edited by Art_Vandalay
spelling
  • Like 1