The MVP race

Steelersfan43

2 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

And Dak is overall still more productive despite the slow start to the season as the offense adjusted to a new OC and play caller. 

The only thing that Dak is significantly leading Brock by is attempts with 91 more pass attempts.  Dak has 3 more touchdowns and 1 fewer interception.  

So Dak throws an int at 1.3% and a TD at 6.2%

While Brock throws an int at 1.9% and TD at 6.9%

People like to use the offensive weapons around Brock as a reason to remove him from the discussion for MVP, that the 49ers have a better run game.  The 49ers have runs for 273 more yards over 13 games or 21 yards a game.  

For as much as people want to discredit Brock for having a good team behind him why doe Dak pass so much with a team that leads the league in point differential?  The cowboys defense has allowed 28 more points than the 49ers but Dak has thrown it 91 more times.  Brock has been dialed back instead of running up the score and the 49ers will hand off the ball with a lead and run the clock out.  While the cowboys and Dak are back slinging it, and Brock still has more yards.  

I am not saying that Brock should be MVP but I do not understand why people want to discredit what he has done.  I do not understand how other quarterbacks can be considered more productive than the efficiency outlier of the year.

For each pass attempt this season Brock has 27% more yards than Dak.  I do not have the advanced stats in from of me but I do believe that Brock also leads in air yards per attempt, if you watch the games he is not captain checkdown as the media would like you to believe.

5 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I did not watch the game, so I cannot comment properly. But I am seeing/reading that last night proved Tyreek should be more in the MVP conversation than Tua.

Is that accurate?

Quite the opposite imo.

A couple quarters of slow offense doesn't make a WR more valuable than a QB (could argue Achane being out also slowed them earlier in year) and, if anything, it hurt Tyreek's candidacy because he needs to break the record to have a chance and a 4/61 + possible nagging injury going forward slows down his pace.

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

I did not watch the game, so I cannot comment properly. But I am seeing/reading that last night proved Tyreek should be more in the MVP conversation than Tua.

Is that accurate?

Cliff notes: Hill missed most of the game with a bad ankle, Tua and the offense largely struggled despite playing one of the worst pass defenses in the league. 

So if you already thought Hill had an argument, then this could give you more talking points. If you’re me, and think the Dolphins are better off (from a postseason standpoint) losing Hill than they are losing Tua, then it doesn’t really move the needle all that much. 

It’s going to “hurt” Hill’s stat argument, but potentially help his narrative argument. Realistically I don’t think this puts him near Dak or Purdy.

• Like 1

**Bills bias**

Josh Allen currently at 14/1. If he balls out the next four weeks, beats Dak/Cowboys this week, then runs the table vs Chargers, Patriots, Miami to either win the division or get in the playoffs there will be a case made. Currently leads the NFL by 4 TDs over Hurts and 5 TDs more than Dak. But that's only if Dak/Purdy falter a bit and Bills/Allen finish strong.

That said: I'd go Dak 1, Purdy 2, Tyreke 3, Lamar 4 ATM.

Edited by The BILLievers

11 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

**Bills bias**

Josh Allen currently at 14/1. If he balls out the next four weeks, beats Dak/Cowboys this week, then runs the table vs Chargers, Patriots, Miami to either win the division or get in the playoffs there will be a case made. Currently leads the NFL by 4 TDs over Hurts and 5 TDs more than Dak. But that's only if Dak/Purdy falter a bit and Bills/Allen finish strong.

That said: I'd go Dak 1, Purdy 2, Tyreke 3, Lamar 4 ATM.

Mahomes won it with 12 last year, but Allen would really have to blow the doors off the hinges with those turnover numbers. Can’t remember an MVP off the top of my head that turned it over quite as much, and Allen definitely has that narrative over his head, fair or not. Mahomes had the #1 seed 40+ TDs, and 5200 passing yards to kinda bolster that case, not sure Allen combats his turnovers well enough to join the convo. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soko said:

Mahomes won it with 12 last year, but Allen would really have to blow the doors off the hinges with those turnover numbers. Can’t remember an MVP off the top of my head that turned it over quite as much, and Allen definitely has that narrative over his head, fair or not. Mahomes had the #1 seed 40+ TDs, and 5200 passing yards to kinda bolster that case, not sure Allen combats his turnovers well enough to join the convo. 

I'm not disagreeing but If Allen somehow gets to 50 touchdowns this season and they win out / come back to take the division, he'll be the hot name to end the season. But that starts with a head to head meeting with Dak this weekend. If Allen goes off and the Bills win I think his odds will drop from 14/1 to something like 7/1. 

54 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

I'm not disagreeing but If Allen somehow gets to 50 touchdowns this season and they win out / come back to take the division, he'll be the hot name to end the season. But that starts with a head to head meeting with Dak this weekend. If Allen goes off and the Bills win I think his odds will drop from 14/1 to something like 7/1. 

I suppose 15 TDs over the next 4 games would put him in the front, although I’d say that you could probably say that for like 3-5 other QBs too, haha.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Soko said:

I suppose 15 TDs over the next 4 games would put him in the front, although I’d say that you could probably say that for like 3-5 other QBs too, haha.

Lol I just meant because Allen is currently leading the NFL in TDs and if some QB eclipsed 50 TDs in a season they should win MVP hands down. No one else has a chance at 50 besides Allen (even though it's a long shot). Would need to average 3/4 TDs the next 4 games. 

13 minutes ago, Malik said:

Eh, if Lamar wins the next 4 with good statistical performances he will win MVP. The #1 seed while having the most difficult schedule

Especially with a big matchup with the niners on Christmas. That will be a huge stage for Purdy and Lamar to gain ground