The MVP race

Steelersfan43

4 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

This debate is over.

He also says Dak is a game manager. Got to love me some Cam. 

I am honestly not sure that any of the guys he named are actually "game managers", but i suppose it depends on your definition. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

He also says Dak is a game manager. Got to love me some Cam. 

I am honestly not sure that any of the guys he named are actually "game managers", but i suppose it depends on your definition. 

I see his point in a way but idk about Dak being a "game manager". And his definition of the word game manager might be off. 

Obviously the Mahomes/Allen/Lamar/Burrow/Hurts QB's are QBs you win because their talent is off the charts and they change the game. 

Purdy/Tua/Goff/etc are QBs that don't have elite talent but can get the ball where it needs to be at the right time and make the right read. 

I feel like everyone was skeptical of Purdy to begin the year, and if anything he's responded by playing better as the year has gone on. But you can see the stark difference between those who dug their heels in and refused to adjust to new information, and those who have watched him and changed their minds at least a bit. If you have to keep moving the bar in order for Purdy to still not hit it, the problem is no longer with Purdy.

Mind you, I still don't think Purdy is an elite QB. He's having an elite season, but those two things aren't always the same. Mainly, I don't think he's a Mahomes or Allen yet. But he's clearly legit, at this point. There's no more reason to doubt him by now than there was Hurts this same time last year. Unless you just like, really really want your QB to be able to scramble.

• Like 1

Just now, Jakuvious said:

Mind you, I still don't think Purdy is an elite QB. He's having an elite season

This is it, right here. 

It's a very extreme version of Matt Ryan. I don't want to besmirch Ryan, because while he had Julio in 2016, his overall weapons weren't as good as this 49ers team, but I also don't know how many single years I look at Matt Ryan and thought, "that's a top 6 QB in the league" for most of his career. He was a good QB or maybe a very good but not great QB who had an elite season.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is it, right here. 

It's a very extreme version of Matt Ryan. I don't want to besmirch Ryan, because while he had Julio in 2016, his overall weapons weren't as good as this 49ers team, but I also don't know how many single years I look at Matt Ryan and thought, "that's a top 6 QB in the league" for most of his career. He was a good QB or maybe a very good but not great QB who had an elite season.

never forget @scar988 believes Matt Ryan to be "an all time great" 👀

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

never forget @scar988 believes Matt Ryan to be "an all time great" 👀

In fairness, he should. He's a falcons fan and he watched Ryan a lot more than I did. 

But I'm just kind of thinking back on it and like he just kind of fits into this group that I think may be just shy of the HOF but was really good for a long time. But there were also just a few of these guys? 

The 2000's - 2010's were a very interesting time for quarterbacks. Talking about a time that had Peyton and Rodgers and Brady and Brees which makes Ryan starting out from the 5th position almost immediately in most years. But then you had Big Ben? Ryan had the better peak year with that 2016 season, but Big Ben was doing some things. Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers? I think people get what I'm saying. Stafford was probably just as good but played on a maligned Lions team. He went to the Rams and we got a better look. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness, he should. He's a falcons fan and he watched Ryan a lot more than I did. 

But I'm just kind of thinking back on it and like he just kind of fits into this group that I think may be just shy of the HOF but was really good for a long time. But there were also just a few of these guys? 

The 2000's - 2010's were a very interesting time for quarterbacks. Talking about a time that had Peyton and Rodgers and Brady and Brees which makes Ryan starting out from the 5th position almost immediately in most years. But then you had Big Ben? Ryan had the better peak year with that 2016 season, but Big Ben was doing some things. Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers? I think people get what I'm saying. Stafford was probably just as good but played on a maligned Lions team. He went to the Rams and we got a better look. 

I would tend to put Matt Ryan in the Drew Bledsoe/Carson Palmer/Eli Manning tier, but I hear ya. I wouldn't have him anywhere near all time great personally

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

It's a shame Purdy can't receive a new contract until after the 2024 season. Would love to see if SF would be willing to offer him $275+ million in guaranteed money, given he is a young MVP QB (according to many posters). 

This has already been brought up by @Soggust

He's not going to get that amount. Watson has the outlier 230M guaranteed at signing, but Burrow's is only 146 at signing with 219 in practical guarantees, i think. 

The Tua contract I think will be a reasonable comparable to what Purdy gets in 2025, so I'm watching that one with interest. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

This has already been brought up by @Soggust

He's not going to get that amount. Watson has the outlier 230M guaranteed at signing, but Burrow's is only 146 at signing with 219 in practical guarantees, i think. 

The Tua contract I think will be a reasonable comparable to what Purdy gets in 2025, so I'm watching that one with interest. 

Yes I got my total value and guarantees mixed up, thanks. 

But given how some posters are hyping him, he should get more than Burrow because he's easily outperformed Burrow thus far. 

But we won't know how much SF values him until after 2024. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

I see his point in a way but idk about Dak being a "game manager". And his definition of the word game manager might be off. 

Obviously the Mahomes/Allen/Lamar/Burrow/Hurts QB's are QBs you win because their talent is off the charts and they change the game. 

Purdy/Tua/Goff/etc are QBs that don't have elite talent but can get the ball where it needs to be at the right time and make the right read. 

Agree overall but Hurts might be in the wrong group. 

2 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Yes I got my total value and guarantees mixed up, thanks. 

But given how some posters are hyping him, he should get more than Burrow because he's easily outperformed Burrow thus far. 

But we won't know how much SF values him until after 2024. 

I had projected elsewhere 215M in practicals, but I think I'll have a better idea once the tua deal is done. Worth noting that the expected cap for 2025 is like 280-285 Million,  I think.