The MVP race

Steelersfan43

14 hours ago, Jameson_Neat said:

Guy had two TD passes with no one within 15 yards of his WR. I don't think yesterday's game moves the needle much for Purdy.

Why does he get punished for making the play? Is he supposed to do the following

kapwat.0.gif

Are the receivers supposed to do this

Kansas_City_Chiefs_Player_Has-d5cedba830

Edited by typecast

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The hilarious part is that if Purdy had been a 2nd round pick and absolutely everything else was exactly the same he'd be a consensus MVP.

People fighting it because he was a 7th round pick.

Anyone got them Baker Mayfield evaluations and pre-draft career prognostications?

54 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

So first it was Hurts v Dak, than Dak v Purdy, now Purdy v Jackson, I don’t get why Purdy cannot get the credit he deserves, you want him to get a come from behind victory but if the 9ers are leading it’s because of him, right 

In fairness, that's just how the MVP ride goes. Seldom are they decided in week 12. Week by week guys and rise and fall, and if Purdy sucks next week and Lamar is good, Purdy will fall by the wayside as well. Then Lamar will have to hold on 

Goff is gonna sneak in as #3 or 4

Early in the season I wasn't ready to consider Purdy as a legit MVP contender, and that was largely due to his lack of pedigree. I didn't expect him to keep up the pace. Sometimes mediocre guys go on hot streaks. Sometimes a mediocre QB can ride a system for a while until it gets figured out, etc... But he hasn't slowed down. He's pretty clearly #1 right now.

Edited by nagahide13

It will unfortunately be Purdy. 

Purdy is an odd case. He's a very good QB. He's probably 5-8 as a QB right now. People seem completely unable to find the happy medium between "system QB, literally Jimmy G, fraud, anybody could do what he's doing in SF" and "QB2, next Brady, literally Joe Montana".

CMC is the real MVP of that team. Jimmy G was putting up Purdy stats for the 5 games he had CMC. Purdy is a very good QB, but the supporting cast CANNOT be discounted when we are talking about MVP. The 49ers were always contenders even with Jimmy G; it's not like Purdy changed the fortunes of the franchise. Not to mention, he was 0-3 without Deebo.

This is the absolute perfect year for a non-QB MVP. Even if Lamar beats SF and goes on to get the #1 seed in the AFC I still think it should be CMC.

4 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

It will unfortunately be Purdy. 

Purdy is an odd case. He's a very good QB. He's probably 5-8 as a QB right now. People seem completely unable to find the happy medium between "system QB, literally Jimmy G, fraud, anybody could do what he's doing in SF" and "QB2, next Brady, literally Joe Montana".

CMC is the real MVP of that team. Jimmy G was putting up Purdy stats for the 5 games he had CMC. Purdy is a very good QB, but the supporting cast CANNOT be discounted when we are talking about MVP. The 49ers were always contenders even with Jimmy G; it's not like Purdy changed the fortunes of the franchise. Not to mention, he was 0-3 without Deebo.

This is the absolute perfect year for a non-QB MVP. Even if Lamar beats SF and goes on to get the #1 seed in the AFC I still think it should be CMC.

49ers scored 13 points at home with CMC against the Saints with Jimmy G in the saddle. Luckily the D got a shutout. Jimmy was playing better, but even so it wasn't at the historic level Purdy has been doing. Also, when Purdy got hurt against the Eagles a year ago, having CMC didn't mitigate losing Purdy. Panthers weren't exactly winners with CMC either. Even a beast running back like that will simply languish on a squad without at-worst competent QB play. Like Payton on the Bears half his career, or Faulk on the Colts.

Purdy is 3-2 without Samus in the lineup by the way. It's like people forgot he missed some time last year towards the end of the season. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

CMC is the real MVP of that team. Jimmy G was putting up Purdy stats for the 5 games he had CMC. Purdy is a very good QB, but the supporting cast CANNOT be discounted when we are talking about MVP. The 49ers were always contenders even with Jimmy G; it's not like Purdy changed the fortunes of the franchise.

I don't hate your logic, but I don't think you are applying it equally. 

CMC is also on a stacked team, with a stacked coach, and a stacked QB with stacked weapons and a stacked run blocking line. How can he be MVP if the supporting cast CANNOT be discounted?

Also, we talk about "Jimmy G put up similar stats", but Elijah Mitchell had ~1000 yards in 10 games for Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers.  He was averaging 87.5 ypg, CMC is at like 92 iirc. Sure, CMC is slightly better (15 more rec ypg and more TDs), but Brock has better stats than Jimmy G.

So, isn't that the same logic?

Feels like you can make all the same arguments against CMC that people make against Purdy.

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 3

Purdy’s biggest case against is less about pure strength of cast, and more about how he performed when the cast wasn’t there. No, having good players and coaches around you shouldn’t kill your MVP chances, but looking flat when some of those guys are out does ding your resume.

EDIT: Not saying Purdy shouldn’t be at the top right now. I don’t really know how I’d vote. But everyone has warts on their profile.

Edited by Soko

13 hours ago, straighthate said:

It appears you have never watched Purdy play and I’d guess never watched Jimmy G either. You’ve watched some highlights and some analysts discuss the MVP race. For those of us who watch the games, we see the timing and anticipation, decision making, and accuracy that Jimmy G certainly didn’t have and very few QBs have even by their second or third contract.  

I don’t know/care if he wins it. But the disparity in opinions on Purdy is insane. I’m excited to see how he’s ranked by the other players after this year. 

I’ll also say, on nearly every play somebody is open at some point. If you want to point out what a QB is missing, it’s easy to go watch the tape and get frustrated with the missed opportunities. Purdy’s brain, not his arm, is his biggest tool. He doesn’t need to squeeze it in a lot of the time because he throws at the right time.  Watch tape of any QB making an amazing throw, and most of the time you’ll see what would have been an easier read that would have been just as successful. Sure it’s a great throw, but is that any better than the guy who just runs the offense right and hits the guy at the right time? 

Watch the Niner games, not just a couple highlights. You’ll see somebody who makes it look easy because of the preparation, intelligence and decision making. Josh Allen looks better when he guns it in there or puts his shoulder down, but he certainly isn’t taking the easy route. 

I have watched more than just highlights. I agree Purdy looks great when everything is perfect around him. But to my eye he appears to be the 5th best offensive player after T. Williams, CMC, Kittle, and Deebo. The fact that he didn't look very good when Deebo and Williams were out is a red flag. He could be a Burrow-level player, or he could be more in the Cousins/Prescott tier, or he could be a Mac Jones who falls apart when he is not properly supported. I don't feel that he's been in enough stressful situations to know at this point. 

So a fully healthy 49ers team vs an ailing Ravens team missing their top tight end, their top runningbacks and potentially their starting LT (granted he's been playing injured for some time now).

IF the Ravens somehow come into San Francisco and pull off the upset, the award is basically Lamar's to lose IMO.