Is there an argument for Baker Mayfield #1 ?

bosko1616

On 1/19/2018 at 3:42 AM, Mind Character said:

John Dorsey will draft Baker Mayfield number 1 overall. Book it. I'd put a lot of money on it.

On 2/2/2018 at 9:27 PM, Mind Character said:

"Well...Mary Kay...we selected Baker Mayfield number 1 because he is a leader of men, a winner, people gravitate toward him, he has a great arm, he battles, and his arrest and drinking record reminds me of Brett Favre."

--- John Dorsey

John Dorsey will be selecting Baker Mayfield number 1 overall, MARK IT DOWN IN STONE...I guarantee it 2000%.... I'd bet the house on it.

Everyone will rationalize the selection, and love it after Darnold's hands are measured to be small at the combine.

Enjoy the rest of the crazy season!.....I've had my fill.

1) Really enjoying @Mind Character's mental breakdown.  I can't wait for Lamar Jackson to wow the combine and one unattributed Browns rumor that sets him off again.

2) I know we're distancing from "Analytics", but I've enjoyed NumberFire's approach the last few years (look for what successful NFL QB's have in common).  They value passer efficiency, average yards/attempt, and how many college games you played.  New ratings are up (https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/lists/18672/which-quarterback-in-the-2018-nfl-draft-class-is-statistically-superior), and is a decent read. If only because I've completely ignored Mason Rudolph and at least want to do a bit of scouting on him.

TL;DR - Baker #1 by far.  Moneyball!

21 minutes ago, JoshBooty said:

1) Really enjoying @Mind Character's mental breakdown.  I can't wait for Lamar Jackson to wow the combine and one unattributed Browns rumor that sets him off again.

2) I know we're distancing from "Analytics", but I've enjoyed NumberFire's approach the last few years (look for what successful NFL QB's have in common).  They value passer efficiency, average yards/attempt, and how many college games you played.  New ratings are up (https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/lists/18672/which-quarterback-in-the-2018-nfl-draft-class-is-statistically-superior), and is a decent read. If only because I've completely ignored Mason Rudolph and at least want to do a bit of scouting on him.

TL;DR - Baker #1 by far.  Moneyball!

Just looking at their top statistical comp:

Baker - RGIII

Rudolph - Teddy B

Jackson - Eli

Rosen - Harrington

Darnold - Jameis

Allen - Gabbert

So basically there is a bunch of garbage for QBs based off of their comparisons.

7 hours ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

Just looking at their top statistical comp:

Baker - RGIII

Rudolph - Teddy B

Jackson - Eli

Rosen - Harrington

Darnold - Jameis

Allen - Gabbert

So basically there is a bunch of garbage for QBs based off of their comparisons.

This looks like statistics at their worst.

Jackson - Eli?

Come on.

The article states it’s not playing style, it’s similar college production. The fact that many of them ended up being drafted early in their classes is a data point, the fact that some got injured is likely not. 

My takeaway is that Baker compares positively to other successful NFL QBs, so you consider him at 1 if you’re comfortable with his personality. And that Lamar Jackson is a better pasing QB than people who want to move him to WR think. And Rosen and Darnold have some concerns that should at least give teams some pause. And confirming that Allen succeeding in the NFL is a long shot. 

25 minutes ago, JoshBooty said:

The article states it’s not playing style, it’s similar college production.

Which is comparing apples to oranges if they didn't play in the same systems, against common competition, with equal talent around them, etc.

Nonsense.

Archived