The Michigan/Sign Stealing & COVID Punishment Thread

BobbyPhil1781

6 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Even if it's been nobody so far a lot of good teams have struggled. Michigan has not a single bit. So the nobody stance is irrelevant 

But I think PSU has the best shot 

It’s absolutely relevant. It’s not linear. Michigan looks awesome and they’ve played absolutely nobody.

23 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Even if it's been nobody so far a lot of good teams have struggled. Michigan has not a single bit. So the nobody stance is irrelevant 

But I think PSU has the best shot 

I just think it sucks for the entire NCAA if we take a playoff spot (especially if we win it all) when it's almost a certainly that the season will be vacated anyway. 

It feels weird hoping someone knocks us off but what's the point of hoping for a title that won't count.

47 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

I just think it sucks for the entire NCAA if we take a playoff spot (especially if we win it all) when it's almost a certainly that the season will be vacated anyway. 

It feels weird hoping someone knocks us off but what's the point of hoping for a title that won't count.

“ I think the thing to do is enjoy the ride while you are on it.”

-Johnny Depp

1 hour ago, rob_shadows said:

I wasn't disagreeing I am just tired of the nobody argument because many good teams are squeaking by nobodies. 

If they have definitive evidence that Michigan broke rules, they must be kept out of the playoffs. This is only is they have the proof though bc Michigan is very good this year and has a legit chance of winning it. You simply can't taint this product by allowing a team that violated rules to gain a competitive advantage to continue competing in that capacity. They just have to be 10000% certain though. 

This process will take over a year at least. There is basically no chance anything happens in season. I honestly doubt that the season will be vacated. I think the NCAA is losing power and probably won't try to regain it by destroying a major program. Harbaugh should be done.

4 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

If they have definitive evidence that Michigan broke rules, they must be kept out of the playoffs. This is only is they have the proof though bc Michigan is very good this year and has a legit chance of winning it. You simply can't taint this product by allowing a team that violated rules to gain a competitive advantage to continue competing in that capacity. They just have to be 10000% certain though. 

These cases always take about a year IF the investigators and school are in complete agreement.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38749342/michigan-sign-stealing-allegations-ncaa-big-ten-investigation

A negotiated resolution, in which enforcement staff and the school agree on the facts of the case, the level and classification of the violations, and appropriate penalties. According to the NCAA, this is the fastest track, yet it still took an average of 368 days to complete, according to the NCAA's 2021-22 annual report on infractions.

If it's contested it takes about 2.5 years.

According to the NCAA's most recent annual infractions report (2021-22), the enforcement staff spends an average of 10-12 months on a case, and the committee on infractions then spends an average of seven days to four months on it. A contested hearing track -- the longest process -- took an average of 921 days.

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

These cases always take about a year IF the investigators and school are in complete agreement.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38749342/michigan-sign-stealing-allegations-ncaa-big-ten-investigation

The B1G and CFP can act without the NCAA being involved. 

13 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I see nothing coming of this until summer of ‘24 at the earliest unless the B1G steps in.

If by some miracle Penn State beats UM, you’d have a 3 way tie for the East assuming OSU loses to them on the road.

Regardless, if Harbaugh is smart he leaves for the NFL after this season because it’s only a matter of time before the hammer drops and he’s fired and has to vacate wins.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I see nothing coming of this until summer of ‘24 at the earliest unless the B1G steps in.

If by some miracle Penn State beats UM, you’d have a 3 way tie for the East assuming OSU loses to them on the road.

Regardless, if Harbaugh is smart he leaves for the NFL after this season because it’s only a matter of time before the hammer drops and he’s fired and has to vacate wins.

1 problem, the NFL isnt going to take him if that hammer does come down and he faces discipline from the NCAA.

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

1 problem, the NFL isnt going to take him if that hammer does come down and he faces discipline from the NCAA.

Yes but those suspensions were already on the books. If he leaves before that, not sure the NFL will view it as trying to game the system and circumvent the suspension.