2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

16 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If Fields is our QB next year and he goes for 4000 passing yards and 40 total TDs there’s a better chance that the McCaskeys write me into the will than that we’d move on from him. 

Exactly! alls I'm saying is that if Fields proceeds to take the next step we have to be prepared to write a blank check and I'm just questioning if thats the best direction to go in.

15 hours ago, Epyon said:

the cost to trade back up to replace him will cripple your franchise right as you need money to pay people you actually have developed and/or draft picks to replace them

I'm warning of the danger of bringing Fields back and he improves TOO much causing us to overpay on his next contract.

This option, however, sounds equally as painful maybe worse considering the offense will have regressed

18 minutes ago, anonymousGM said:

Exactly! alls I'm saying is that if Fields proceeds to take the next step we have to be prepared to write a blank check and I'm just questioning if thats the best direction to go in.

Can you give a single example of when paying a (then) 26-year old franchise QB who is performing like a franchise QB is the wrong direction? 

16 minutes ago, anonymousGM said:

I'm warning of the danger of bringing Fields back and he improves TOO much causing us to overpay on his next contract.

This option, however, sounds equally as painful maybe worse considering the offense will have regressed

This is entirely illogical. What is improving too much? Him being as good as possible is the goal

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Can you give a single example of when paying a (then) 26-year old franchise QB who is performing like a franchise QB is the wrong direction? 

Buffalo, Kansas City, soon to be Philly, LA chargers just to name a few. The difference is that their franchise QB had success during their rookie contract while Justin Fields did not

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

This is entirely illogical. What is improving too much? Him being as good as possible is the goal

I'm saying that if we have to overpay for Justin Fields next season after what will be the first statistically good season of his career that could be a big mistake. If he signs for a mid-level deal then thats great! I don't know how big his ego is behind closed doors.

This season the Bears have all the leverage and next off-season they will have none. Call me crazy for looking at the #1 pick with a 5+ year outlook, but I think it needs to be done.

5 minutes ago, anonymousGM said:

I'm saying that if we have to overpay for Justin Fields next season after what will be the first statistically good season of his career that could be a big mistake. If he signs for a mid-level deal then thats great! I don't know how big his ego is behind closed doors.

This season the Bears have all the leverage and next off-season they will have none. Call me crazy for looking at the #1 pick with a 5+ year outlook, but I think it needs to be done.

I wouldn't say the Bears have no leverage. They still have the 5th year option for  the 2025 season and can do a franchise tag for the 2026 season. I've made my preferences clear what I would try to do but even if they keep the same core the Bears aren't at Fields' mercy by any means. 

I mean if that doesn't count for Fields then it wouldn't count for any rookie the Bears could potentially draft this year. 

10 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I wouldn't say the Bears have no leverage. They still have the 5th year option for  the 2025 season and can do a franchise tag for the 2026 season. I've made my preferences clear what I would try to do but even if they keep the same core the Bears aren't at Fields' mercy by any means. 

I mean if that doesn't count for Fields then it wouldn't count for any rookie the Bears could potentially draft this year. 

It will most likely play out like the Lamar Jackson contract. Where next offseason we will use the non-exclusive tag on Fields and negotiate a deal. Lamar Jackson contract

Jackson's tag will cost the Ravens $32.416 million in 2023, and they'll have until July 17 to reach a multi-year extension with the 2019 AP NFL Most Valuable Player before that number becomes permanent.

"Having not yet reached a long-term deal with Lamar Jackson, we will use the franchise tag," Ravens general manager Eric DeCosta said in a statement announcing the tag on Tuesday. "There have been many instances across the league and in Baltimore when a player has been designated with the franchise tag and signed a long-term deal that same year. We will continue to negotiate in good faith with Lamar, and we are hopeful that we can strike a long-term deal that is fair to both Lamar and the Ravens. Our ultimate goal is to build a championship team with Lamar Jackson leading the way for many years to come."

The Ravens will be hard at work to strike a deal before that date, but a bigger potential issue is the non-exclusive nature of the organization's chosen tag.

24 minutes ago, anonymousGM said:

Those are two different things though, no? Wanting the ideal situation of a highly performing rookie QB and being willing to pay a veteran QB a market rate deal when he’s earned it are entirely independent. Fields with 4000 passing yards and 40 combined TDs in 2024 is almost certainly a top 3 MVP candidate. In that scenario he’s earned the mega deal. That’s not a Daniel Jones situation. If you’re not going to pay one of the top performers in the league at the top of the market then who do you pay? I have no interest in the Bears becoming the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Those are two different things though, no? Wanting the ideal situation of a highly performing rookie QB and being willing to pay a veteran QB a market rate deal when he’s earned it are entirely independent. Fields with 4000 passing yards and 40 combined TDs in 2024 is almost certainly a top 3 MVP candidate. In that scenario he’s earned the mega deal. That’s not a Daniel Jones situation. If you’re not going to pay one of the top performers in the league at the top of the market then who do you pay? I have no interest in the Bears becoming the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL. 

If we pick Williams/Maye with the top pick and take a receiver at 9 than thats 3-4 years of cost-controlled QB play likely winning the same amount of games that Fields will be winning if he were the QB. 

41 minutes ago, anonymousGM said:

Buffalo, Kansas City, soon to be Philly, LA chargers just to name a few. The difference is that their franchise QB had success during their rookie contract while Justin Fields did not

Each one of these situations are different in that those QBs were dropped into much better offensive situations. Also Buffalo, KC, and Philly would not be considered a bad decision or wrong direction. Neither is it with LAC. Their issues are not QB centric. Their problems come from other issues not because they signed a qb to a massive contract.

3 minutes ago, anonymousGM said:

If we pick Williams/Maye with the top pick and take a receiver at 9 than thats 3-4 years of cost-controlled QB play likely winning the same amount of games that Fields will be winning if he were the QB. 

I feel like this is the massive assumption most of you are making. It is not likely at all, thinking there wont be growing pains with a rookie (not even talking passing ability here) not to mention falling into the 50/50 of the R1 QBs (no matter where in the round) becoming a total bust, seems to be not even the slightest concern for some of you. 

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

I feel like this is the massive assumption most of you are making. It is not likely at all, thinking there wont be growing pains with a rookie (not even talking passing ability here) not to mention falling into the 50/50 of the R1 QBs (no matter where in the round) becoming a total bust, seems to be not even the slightest concern for some of you. 

Dak Prescott went 13-3 as a rookie and he was like a 4th round pick. Us Chicago fans should know by now that it has more to do with the system and cast of characters than the QB himself

If it has more to do with the “cast of characters” then why not keep Fields, build an O-line, and get a receiver opposite of DJ who can get open and catch the ball? All of this and continue to build the defense. 

• Like 2