2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I have to like the confidence of taking all these receipts

Well that whole video was pretty ridiculous too.  Merril admitted to watching only 3 games last year and 3 games this year and is saying Williams is not a good prospect.  Dude is having delusions of grandeur if he thinks he can make a true evaluation on a guy by watching 6 total games over a two year period, especially at QB.

Edited by TankWilliams

13 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Cowboys fan mock where we trade a million picks Ditka style and our first born child for Dak Prescott is officially worst mock for Bears I have seen.

But that is a fan.  

For a media person this is my official worst mock.  Granted she is doing some kind of analytic thing, but it is still profoundly stupid.

Good grief!  If you are going to go Full Ditka in trading for a QB, why would you do it for Dak?  Might just as well sign Kirk Cousins.  He's a free agent, and they are pretty much the same guy.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I don't know why Getsy had no concept of personnel on field when he called plays.  But he often didn't.

He often had worst blocking WRs blocking for screens and not optimal runners, etc.

His situational awareness was just terrible for short yardage and personnel for plays. 

I am not defending Getsy here, but some of the WR part of that was a personnel issue. Other than ESB, who’s bad at receiving, none of our WRs was an especially good blocker, and given ESB’s role his presence on the field would very quickly have become a tip off to the defense. A smart coach would have found different ways to manufacture touches for his guys, but Getsy insisted on pushing that round peg into the square hole over and over and over and over. I also put some of that on Tyke Tolbert along with Getsy. To pretty much everyone but Moore, the mandate should’ve been “If you don’t block you don’t play,” but unfortunately that kind of accountability was seemingly lacking.

That entire room is getting an overhaul this year anyway with a new coach and only 2 or maybe 3 (Scott and maybe Velus) holdover players. Change isn’t always a good thing, but in our case I don’t see how it can be a bad thing. 

15 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Guh?  I do think that  comparing anyone to literally the best to ever do it is doing them dirty, but that specific criticism is flat dumb.  One of Caleb's skills is dealing with a dirty pocket, either be escaping or climbing if it's outside pressure (which Fields don't do)

The internet has warped our experience of processing information.  It's like we're at a bar and the loudest drunk who's taken too many head shots at the foundry is the guy we all listen to most and leading us around while we just get angry. Bring back ignoring that guy.  

Hoge is the guy who had to retire from the NFL because of brain issues from several concussions like 25 years ago, right? Who’s he working for now? He hasn’t been an analyst for anyone since being laid off by ESPN seven years ago. That’s not to say any of this this means he’s definitely wrong, but consider the source here. 

Saw this on Twitter..

39 Hall of Famers and still never had a 4,000 yard passer

It got me thinking...this is why Poles can't not take Caleb at #1 even if he has some doubts or a massive offer comes in...the optics of Poles passing on another QB at #1 if Caleb goes on to be even a top 10 QB let alone an elite one is something that he would never be able to come back from...

Something I would love to ask an NFL HC/OC/QB coach is what is tougher to do...help a guy unlock playmaking talent or hold back a QB who is nothing but playmaking talent and is always looking for the kill shot? If (when) we take Caleb we are going to need someone who like Andy Reid did for Mahomes is not only able to show Caleb how to play in structure and at times take what is there but to make that natural for him.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Saw this on Twitter..

39 Hall of Famers and still never had a 4,000 yard passer

It got me thinking...this is why Poles can't not take Caleb at #1 even if he has some doubts or a massive offer comes in...the optics of Poles passing on another QB at #1 if Caleb goes on to be even a top 10 QB let alone an elite one is something that he would never be able to come back from...

Something I would love to ask an NFL HC/OC/QB coach is what is tougher to do...help a guy unlock playmaking talent or hold back a QB who is nothing but playmaking talent and is always looking for the kill shot? If (when) we take Caleb we are going to need someone who like Andy Reid did for Mahomes is not only able to show Caleb how to play in structure and at times take what is there but to make that natural for him.

That is the leadership/team's fault... not the QB's fault.

27 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

That is the leadership/team's fault... not the QB's fault.

Nah. QBs have to have some accountability in constant failings too. They spend half the year away from the organization with personal coaches to train them

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

An ideal situation for us would be someone trading into the top 8 for McCarthy. That would guarantee us the ability to draft one of the top 3 WR, Bowers, and/or one of the LTs at 9.

I don’t think anyone is taking Nix or Penix in R1. Well maybe Nix late 1, but I think Penix’s injury history and lack of elite physical traits on top of his age will push him well into day 2 at least. I think he’s going to be drafted in R3 or later. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

An ideal situation for us would be someone trading into the top 8 for McCarthy. That would guarantee us the ability to draft one of the top 3 WR, Bowers, and/or one of the LTs at 9.

I don’t think anyone is taking Nix or Penix in R1. Well maybe Nix late 1, but I think Penix’s injury history and lack of elite physical traits on top of his age will push him well into day 2 at least. I think he’s going to be drafted in R3 or later. 

I'm still not 100% sure we pick at #9 and could see us trying to move down...if Nabers is there however then that would be hard to do because he is just such a talent...Odunze or Brock would be good at #9 but trading down and getting more capital would make a lot of sense (depending on FA of course)...

I wouldn't touch either Nix or Penix...I just can't get past how bad they looked at Auburn & Indiana respectively...and as you said Penix is held together by duct tape at this point...

I don't have either in my top 5 QBs

• Like 1