2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Especially now where most of college is shotgun spread with sideline posters for play calls, almost no QBs come into the league turn key to operate in an NFL offense, even those with elite prospect skill sets like Williams, Lawrence, etc. 

I’d argue it’s not that rookie QBs can’t do those things. It’s that you can’t evaluate them by watching their college tape.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, refundmytickets said:

I’d argue it’s not that rookie QBs can’t do those things. It’s that you can’t evaluate them by watching their college tape.

Not fully anyway. QB and WR more than any other positions (IMO) are tough because guys may be able to do things well (or learn to do them very quickly) that they just simply weren’t asked to do in college. The tape is just a part of it. 

• Like 2

Looking at current team needs (not how everyone drafts, but not necessarily not how teams draft either with comparably ranked prospects), if he doesn’t go 5 to the Chargers or 7 to the Titans (and both have bigger needs elsewhere where there are also highly ranked prospects), I think Brock Bowers could go far lower than he probably should given his talent.

I’m operating under the assumption the top 4 picks will be 3 QBs and Harrison. Chargers need OL, WR and CB more, making them a strong candidate for Alt, Nabers or a trade down. Giants don’t need a TE unless they’re cutting Waller. TEN at 7 needs basically everything. ATL has Pitts. We have Kmet and high ranked options who fill bigger needs. Jets IMO have to go OL and Conklin is solid if not spectacular, MIN has Hockenson (even if he’s hurt), DEN needs a QB and basically everything on defense, and the Raiders just took Mayer at the top of R2 last year. 14-16 (NO-IND-SEA) may end up being the sweet spot for him, which is crazy with his ability. 

1 hour ago, JibjeResearch said:

I read somewhere that WR Coleman is a young WR....  This is good for him...  This should push his stock up.

I don’t think it’ll impact anything. Coleman and Nabers are 20. MHJ, Odunze, Thomas and Mitchell are all 21. McConkey and Roman Wilson are “old”. They’re 22. 

Inject it into my veins:

DRAFT SELECTIONS

Caleb Williams Head Shot
PICK: 1 RND: 1 (CHI)
Caleb WILLIAMS
QB  USC

Rome Odunze Head Shot
PICK: 9 RND: 1 (CHI)
Rome ODUNZE
WR  Washington

Tyler Nubin Head Shot
PICK: 39 RND: 2 (CHI)
Tyler NUBIN
S  Minnesota

Roman Wilson Head Shot
PICK: 75 RND: 3 (CHI)
Roman WILSON
WR  Michigan

Ray Davis Head Shot
PICK: 111 RND: 4 (CHI)
Ray DAVIS
RB  Kentucky

Ben Sinnott Head Shot
PICK: 123 RND: 4 (CHI)
Ben SINNOTT
TE  Kansas State

Javon Foster Head Shot
PICK: 143 RND: 5 (CHI)
Javon FOSTER
OT  Missouri

10 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I say we have Orlovsky (pro-Williams) and Chase Daniel (pro-Fields) in a Celebrity Deathmatch. Whoever wins gets to pick the Bears' QB.

I am throwing a chainsaw in the cage near Orlovsky. 

• Like 1

Honestly I won’t be surprised if more consensus top guys don’t just skip the charade of the on field combine stuff these days. Does anyone who’ll be in position to draft MHJ really need to see how fast he runs in compression shorts? There is GPS data on how fast he is on the field already available to all teams (and every other draft eligible player). Do teams need an exact number on his vertical or broad jump? Is there a consequential difference between him jumping 33” and 40”, or a 9’9” long jump vs. a 10’5” one? Probably not. With a prospect at MHJ’s level, there’s no need to try to split hairs. Is anyone going to be legitimately critiquing his route running while he runs routes on air in Indy or in Columbus? I seriously doubt it. He’ll get measured this week and official height/weight/hand size will be confirmed, but even those are largely inconsequential. He very clearly has great hands for catching the football no matter what size they are, and we already know he’s tall. 

The only things that could keep him from being an absolute lock top 5 pick are character or off the field things (of which there appear to be no concerns anyway).  What’s there to gain for him to do anything other than what he’s doing? 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Honestly I won’t be surprised if more consensus top guys don’t just skip the charade of the on field combine stuff these days. Does anyone who’ll be in position to draft MHJ really need to see how fast he runs in compression shorts? There is GPS data on how fast he is on the field already available to all teams (and every other draft eligible player). Do teams need an exact number on his vertical or broad jump? Is there a consequential difference between him jumping 33” and 40”, or a 9’9” long jump vs. a 10’5” one? Probably not. With a prospect at MHJ’s level, there’s no need to try to split hairs. Is anyone going to be legitimately critiquing his route running while he runs routes on air in Indy or in Columbus? I seriously doubt it. He’ll get measured this week and official height/weight/hand size will be confirmed, but even those are largely inconsequential. He very clearly has great hands for catching the football no matter what size they are, and we already know he’s tall. 

The only things that could keep him from being an absolute lock top 5 pick are character or off the field things (of which there appear to be no concerns anyway).  What’s there to gain for him to do anything other than what he’s doing? 

Nobody who is a consensus top 10 pick should work out IMO.

I wouldn't.   What is the upside of it?  

I would go do medicals and interviews.

They can come to my normal workout and prep if they want to see me.   It is a big advantage to train for football and not for combine drills.   A lot of them are two different things.

Guys don't keep doing same workout past the combine.  They train to do well in those drills up to that point and then switch to things that are more beneficial for them playing the game.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

You ******* assshole.  I'd totally forgotten that, and then googled it.  Mods ban this man and then beat him with shovels. 

I didn't know.  But I can guess now from context.

Gross dude.

A lot of the loud pro-Fields X crowd would be happy if we kept and Fields and got MH Jr.

Nothing else really matters.

All they post is trade down and get MH Jr.  

Get those two guys and it is nothing but championships from that point on.

They have MH Jr. hyped up to be Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson and Jerry Rice rolled into one person.  Even if he was all that he is a WR.  Only so much you can do from that position.  

People are psychotic.