2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Oh, and Anthony Richardson in 2022. 😂

Yeah hahaha...just goes to show the difference between good QB play and great upside...

Speaking of Richardson he is going to be fun to watch this season...maybe not always good but fun 

• Like 1

Basing of of general mocks/consensus after the combine, i think my preference would be:

1) Stay at 9 and draft Nabers/Odunze IF one of them is still on the board

2) Trade down if both those guys are gone

3) Trade down if one of those guys is there, so long as we get at least a 2nd to make the move. Target Brian Thomas then AD Mitchell

4) Trade up to secure one of Nabers/Rome. We have even less capital after the Bates trade and giving up at least our 3rd to move up doesn't seem like Poles' M.O.

You know what is interesting and was pointed out in broadcast.

Keon Coleman ran a 4.6 40.  Which is really slow for an NFL WR.

But he was hitting 20+ mph in gauntlet drill. 

The fastest guys are clocked at 21-22 by NextGen in games.  I can only see top 20 times on website and it starts at 21.5 and goes to 22.23.  

So his play speed seems to be faster than his 40 time would indicate. 

Is there somewhere you can see MPH for college players?   

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The fastest guys are clocked at 21-22 by NextGen in games.  I can only see top 20 times on website and it starts at 21.5 and goes to 22.23.  

Found one.

College Football’s Fastest Players: Most Appearances at 21.0+ mph

Trey Benson, RB, Florida State: 3 times
Dylan Edwards, RB, Colorado: 2 times
Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State: 2 times
Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon: 2 times
Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas: 2 times

No other player has hit 21.0 mph or higher more than once in 2023.

https://collegefootballnetwork.com/college-footballs-fastest-players-2023/

College Football’s Fastest Players: By Position

RB: 125 times
WR: 86 times
DB: 28 times
QB: 23 times
TE: 1 time

QB: Jason Bean, Kansas: 22.4 mph (Week 9)
RB: Jaydon Blue, Texas: 22.3 mph (Week 13)
WR: Xavier Worthy, Texas: 22.7 mph (Week 12)
TE: Trent Pennix, NC State: 20.6 mph (Week 6)
DB: Nate Wiggins, Clemson: 22.6 mph (Week 12)

College Football’s Fastest Players: Most Appearances

Bucky Irving, Oregon: 5 times
Trey Benson, Florida State: 5 times
TreVeyon Henderson, Ohio State: 4 times
Blake Corum, Michigan: 4 times
Dylan Edwards, Colorado: 3 times
Jawhar Jordan, Louisville: 3 times
Jaydn Ott, Cal: 3 times
Rasheen Ali, Marshall: 3 times
Jalen Milroe, Alabama: 3 times
RJ Harvey, UCF: 3 times
Xavier Worthy, Texas: 3 times
Lorenzo Lingard, Akron: 3 times

• Like 1

I think there is a major difference in running wearing nothing as opposed to running in pads. 10 pounds isn't a lot, especially to highly trained athletes like in the NFL, but there is still a difference IMO. Also a lot of bigger guys might have a slower build up for speed, but once they get going their top speed is fantastic, like Derrick Henry. If a bigger guy already has a head start from running a route, then he can potentially turn it up if he gets hit in stride and that too will minimize the slower acceleration. 

May be nothing, just thinking out loud. 

28 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I think there is a major difference in running wearing nothing as opposed to running in pads. 10 pounds isn't a lot, especially to highly trained athletes like in the NFL, but there is still a difference IMO. Also a lot of bigger guys might have a slower build up for speed, but once they get going their top speed is fantastic, like Derrick Henry. If a bigger guy already has a head start from running a route, then he can potentially turn it up if he gets hit in stride and that too will minimize the slower acceleration. 

I don't think it is poundage by itself.

The GPS tracking is interesting.  

If you ever played and most of us have.  You know there is always a difference between play speed and raw speed in football.

You see it on every single team you have ever been on or coached.

There are guys that will flat dust you in shorts in a T-shirt and no hitting allowed in early practices.  The shorts and T-shirt all-stars we used to call them in coaching.  They are the stars of early Aug. practices.  

Then pads come on and things get physical and those guys slow down a lot.  Whereas other guys speed up.

Some guys get even faster in games versus practice.  I had a kid like that.  Became an axe murder when lights came on. He was meh in practice, barely noticed him.  Another teams coach gave him the nickname "Angel of Death" after scouting us that year.  

I remember I went to a new school my senior year.  Coaches didn't know me and I am not an elite athlete so I started at bottom.  

But when pads came on I became a starter by week 2 and a two way starter by week 3.

Literally the guy whose job I took on defense was a track guy.  He ran 10.9 sec 100 meters that May.  Way, way faster than me.  I couldn't touch that top end speed.  

Coach came up to me after I made a TFL in practice and gave me his job and said in front of both us.  He said,  "how in the world are you always faster than him on field!?!  I don't get it.  I guess you have a nose for ball or something."  And then he walked away.  

It was pretty cold.  I felt bad for that kid.  He did end up starting again when they moved me to OLB or stand up DE.

58 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Jerry Rice was notoriously a guy who timed at 4.6 but was rarely if ever caught from behind. GPS tracking of guys on the field has basically nullified the value of the 40 behind a spectator event IMO unless they make them start running in their pads. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Jerry Rice was notoriously a guy who timed at 4.6 but was rarely if ever caught from behind. GPS tracking of guys on the field has basically nullified the value of the 40 behind a spectator event IMO unless they make them start running in their pads. 

I heard he later ran some ridiculously fast 40 time.

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

But Terrell Owens ran like a 4.6 too.  And he was also rarely caught.  

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Coleman is a 0 to 20 yards guy....  It's good enough... He's a physical WR...  The Bears need one...like that.  I think he can displace EQ.  I would take him in the 3rd Round and put him in the slot.. like a split TE.  However, Johnny Wilson would be the better option in round 3.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Sprinting is surprisingly technical. In short sprints you’re counting footsteps. 40 especially requires a good start. But no football player is starting from that position during a game or even the combine drills.

• Like 2