Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

On 2/7/2024 at 10:14 AM, Jag68Sid87 said:

Eric Bieniemy is out there (again). Nobody wants this guy. Are the Chiefs better without him? Are they the same? Was Bieniemy bad in Washington? 

If it is true that we are looking for a "more collaborative approach" to the offensive play-calling, whatever in the hell that means, Bieniemy seems like a logical guy to bring in. 

What he did with Sam Howell was great. He didn't get the credit he deserved. Took a 5th round QB nobody expected to see the field and made him out perform expectations. If Wilson had those numbers, we would take it as a sign of progress and consider keeping him long term. Bringing him on would be great 

New York Jets owner Woody Johnson slammed backup quarterback Zach Wilson and turned up the heat on coach Robert Saleh and general manager Joe Douglas in an interview Thursday night at the NFL Honors in Las Vegas.

Johnson, speaking publicly for the first time since the end of the season, said he's angry because of the disappointing 7-10 finish. He all but issued a playoff mandate for Saleh and Douglas, something the longtime owner has never done before with a coach or GM.

"The discussions I've had in the last couple of months, they've seen me about as mad as I can be with what was going on, with the offense particularly," Johnson said, according to reports. "We have all this talent and we have to deploy talent properly. So I think they all got the message. This is it. This is the time to go. We've got to produce this year."

This makes me happy. 

• Like 3

On 2/8/2024 at 10:01 PM, rickyt31 said:

What he did with Sam Howell was great. He didn't get the credit he deserved. Took a 5th round QB nobody expected to see the field and made him out perform expectations. If Wilson had those numbers, we would take it as a sign of progress and consider keeping him long term. Bringing him on would be great 

Yeah. He did so good he is unemployed. Washington did so good they are picking 2nd a probably taking a QB to replace Howell.

I just don’t get the love for a coattail riding coach who failed when he stepped off the coattails. 

15 hours ago, xrade said:

Yeah. He did so good he is unemployed. Washington did so good they are picking 2nd a probably taking a QB to replace Howell.

I just don’t get the love for a coattail riding coach who failed when he stepped off the coattails. 

I don't get how you're blaming him for that. You expected him to be able to turn a 5th round pick who did nothing before he arrived into a star? We're not going to acknowledge Washington has the worst defense in the league that contributed to them getting the #2 pick? 

If he was able to do what he did with Howell, I would love to see what he can do with a QB with real expectations 

Edited by rickyt31

20 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I don't get how you're blaming him for that. You expected him to be able to turn a 5th round pick who did nothing before he arrived into a star? We're not going to acknowledge Washington has the worst defense in the league that contributed to them getting the #2 pick? 

If he was able to do what he did with Howell, I would love to see what he can do with a QB with real expectations 

What made Howell any better than the previous 2 QB’s who played in 2022 (Heineke and Wentz)?  Howell threw for 300 more yards but 2 fewer TD’s and 6 more picks. Let’s also not forget Washington could very well be picking a QB at #2. Sorry, Howell does scream “star” to me.  More like decent backup.  Think Tyrod Taylor as opposed to Brock Purdy.  

But since Bienemy was OC let’s look at the Washington O as a whole. They were 24th in pts and 25th in yards. Hardly impressive. In 2022, they were 20th and 24th respectively, so they took a step back.

There is nothing based on facts that says Bienemy is a good OC. If we look beyond facts, why is he unemployed?  Why hasn’t a team jumped on him for OC?  There were plenty of openings. I’m sure he will land somewhere as a position coach but that’s about it. 

24 minutes ago, xrade said:

What made Howell any better than the previous 2 QB’s who played in 2022 (Heineke and Wentz)?  Howell threw for 300 more yards but 2 fewer TD’s and 6 more picks. Let’s also not forget Washington could very well be picking a QB at #2. Sorry, Howell does scream “star” to me.  More like decent backup.  Think Tyrod Taylor as opposed to Brock Purdy.  

But since Bienemy was OC let’s look at the Washington O as a whole. They were 24th in pts and 25th in yards. Hardly impressive. In 2022, they were 20th and 24th respectively, so they took a step back.

There is nothing based on facts that says Bienemy is a good OC. If we look beyond facts, why is he unemployed?  Why hasn’t a team jumped on him for OC?  There were plenty of openings. I’m sure he will land somewhere as a position coach but that’s about it. 

Well, why is Nathaniel Hackett employed? lol

EB was just relieved from NFL duty so give him some time to find one. 

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

Sam Howell was slipping as the season as progressed.  EB couldn't adjust offense any better during that span.  Jacoby Briskett stepped in and did job admirably.

Also, there is words around that EB is a hard man to pleasure so it may be an issue with Aaron Rodgers who certainly isn't portrayed as Yes Sir dude.  Dunno.

49 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Sam Howell was slipping as the season as progressed.  EB couldn't adjust offense any better during that span.  Jacoby Briskett stepped in and did job admirably.

Also, there is words around that EB is a hard man to pleasure so it may be an issue with Aaron Rodgers who certainly isn't portrayed as Yes Sir dude.  Dunno.

If there is questions about his character, I understand. 

But blaming him for not being able to create a great offense out of that group in 1 year is wild to me. The original statement was about having him on staff not even as a play caller. I think he did good with what he had. Outside of the OL, only one player on their offense would start on our offense. Then he was basically asked to score more points than what the defense was giving up (30ppg). Not not going to act like he was the problem. 

7 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

If there is questions about his character, I understand. 

But blaming him for not being able to create a great offense out of that group in 1 year is wild to me. The original statement was about having him on staff not even as a play caller. I think he did good with what he had. Outside of the OL, only one player on their offense would start on our offense. Then he was basically asked to score more points than what the defense was giving up (30ppg). Not not going to act like he was the problem. 

I think so too but many Commander fans are thrilled about him being dismissed.

I chuckled at one source about why EB was bad for Commanders.  He called for tooooo many passing plays. However, they hire Kliff Kingsbury who happens to run a pass happy offense.

Edited by JetsandI

15 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I think so too but many Commander fans are thrilled about him being dismissed.

I chuckled at one source about why EB was bad for Commanders.  He called for tooooo many passing plays. However, they hire Kliff Kingsbury who happens to run a pass happy offense.

Lmao hilarious 

3 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I really like the 49ers do things. It's hard for me to root against them. I have a family member on the Chiefs PS and I still struggle to root against them. 

Father and Son have their own separate SB title.  Would that be first time in NFL history?  If so, I root for 49ers.

4 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Father and Son have their own separate SB title.  Would that be first time in NFL history?  If so, I root for 49ers.

Good question. I think it maybe. I can't think of anyone.  

My concern is the 49ers secondary. It will be interesting to see if Young and Bosa can make a impact