Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

Figured I'd make this thread because we seem to be posting our general thoughts in multiple different threads, myself included.

I really hope Tippmann can come back soon, we need him desperately. Looks like he'll get his shot at center now. 

We also need another reliable receiver. I like Lazard but he has some maddening drops. 

Edited by Mattmanz

We need to draft a new QB this year. Zach is not going to turn a corner, and at this point he is what he is. Not saying draft a QB in the first, just get some fresh potential in the building.

Focusing on OL and WR will also need to be a priority. We still lack a true blue-chip DE, but our scheme and rotation gets us by. As long as we retain our current defensive roster, we can focus on filling the offense with better depth.

I don't know why they don't bring in Collins? He can play both G and T. How about Ben Jones the pro bowl C for the Titans a few years ago. Is he still a FA. There are guys out there but they are not really looking. I think this shows that Brown and Tippmann will be back for Monday night football. 

My strategy in the offseason....(I'm not a cap wizard so maybe it can't happen)

1. Sign a WR in FA like Pittman, Evans, Higgins.  They all happen to compliment Wilson well.  Gipson should be able to evolve into a burner/gadget player for us by then.  Lazard gets to be a fringe 3/4 and then Brownlee maybe steps up.  Ruckert is finally unleashed next season.

2. Draft the best OL.  I think it may have to be Tackle, although the interior are consistently on skates.

Becton-AVT-Tippman-Mitchell?-Rookie

Schweitzer is good enough for RG as well.  But Mitchell and a rookie can battle for RT while Becton and Warren battle for LT.  Or we draft LT and slide Becton to RT.

3. Trade up whatever is necessary to draft our QBotF.  Get back into the 2nd round with our 3rd rounder + whatever.  Let this guy cook for 1-2 years behind Rodgers and not be thrust into the lineup.  

Draft a late round athletic LB to take over for Mosley.  Maybe another DT.  But this scheme has shown we can plug in random vets at DT and be solid.  Throw a developmental OG in there as well.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

1. Sign a WR in FA like Pittman, Evans, Higgins.  They all happen to compliment Wilson well.  Gipson should be able to evolve into a burner/gadget player for us by then.  Lazard gets to be a fringe 3/4 and then Brownlee maybe steps up.  Ruckert is finally unleashed next season.

2. Draft the best OL.  I think it may have to be Tackle, although the interior are consistently on skates.

Schweitzer is good enough for RG as well.  But Mitchell and a rookie can battle for RT while Becton and Warren battle for LT.  Or we draft LT and slide Becton to RT.

3. Trade up whatever is necessary to draft our QBotF.  Get back into the 2nd round with our 3rd rounder + whatever.  Let this guy cook for 1-2 years behind Rodgers and not be thrust into the lineup.  

Draft a late round athletic LB to take over for Mosley.  Maybe another DT.  But this scheme has shown we can plug in random vets at DT and be solid.  Throw a developmental OG in there as well.  

I just made this point to someone else before. Mitchell could absolutely look to slide inside the way he run blocks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I just made this point to someone else before. Mitchell could absolutely look to slide inside the way he run blocks. 

He can definitely be a solid Guard IMO. Won’t have to worry about speed rushers or athletic Ends. I think he can handle the Bull rush and run block inside. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Collins needs to be a priority.  And someone needs to ask Quinnen when he's going to show up.

I dont think Collins is looking too good. Both Jets and Giants didnt sign him. He's likely toast. Quinnen should watch tape on Dexter on how to take over a game. We should be looking to add a big DT to play next to him moving forward.

On 10/30/2023 at 12:05 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm in on most of this. I don't think trading multiple picks for a QB is the right play though. I'm fine with selecting one in the third or later to compete with Zach, but anything before that or more than that is a waste of assets when we should be going all in on Rodgers likely last season.